Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Am I leaking coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Am I leaking coolant?

Since the weather has been cold this past week, my bike has been sitting in the same spot for a week. I noticed this morning a silver dollar, the old ones, sized spot of coolant under the bike.
It appears to be just under some open ended hoses and are these for overflow?
If it's been slowly dripping from sitting still through those hoses, should I be concerned about it?

I have a service manual, supposed to be here today, so I can look it up in there, but I am wanting an answer from an experienced sh owner.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
Hey xecutech, I had the same thing, it turned out to be the two short hoses coming out of the thermostat, left side in between the frame. It is very hard to see without flashlight and mirror. I am in the process of replacing them now. Had to pull the carbs, and coolant res to get at them - no fun.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

Do they have to be replaced? I mean is this an actual bad thing, or are these overflow tubes?
Where did you get the hoses and what length did you buy? Part number if any would be great too.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I had the same thing. It only does it on random occasions when it sits for a while. So I just make sure the coolant is full and ride on.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

Thanks ali, I was wondering if these tubes at the bottom are the siphon tubes from the radiater cap area. The fluid is coming out of one of these hoses at the bottom of the bike, where they all are cable tied together?
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
No prob. I checked my coolant this weekend and it was low. At least its easy to fill and its just the regular green stuff in there, not some water wetter or something.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I rode mine hard one time, and when I stopped it was coming out pretty quick, then stopped. never leaked again. might just be a little overflow. I wouldn't worry unless it does it consistantly.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

I am going to check the coolant level and make sure it's correct and watch it for a few days. Then if it's noticable, I will panic then!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure your over flow bottle doesn't have too much coolant in it. There is a line in the plastic about half way up the bottle. Cheack after bike sits overnight and is cold. The fluid in the overflow bottle should not be over the line in the bottle.

Also check and tighten all radiator hose clamps, the rubber changes over time and can cause the clamps to not be tight and small leaks can develope.

I have never had mine overheat even on the hottest souther summer days running the crap out of it. Make sure your fan is working correctly. Fan should kick on when the needle just passes the mid-way mark in the older bike analog gauge.

Of course if you have time and are mechanically inclined changed to Watter Wetter, but becareful leaving it in there over the winter months if you live in a part ofg the country where the temp drops below freezing for an extended time.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Back Marker

I will take a look when washing the bike this afternoon. I will also park it in a clean spot to see if the leak is often.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
The two hoses I'm talking about are about 3 to 6 inched long and connect the thermostat to each cylinder case. Mine were old and cracked and needed to be replaced. It was leaking very little, but regularly. It would always smell like antifreeze was cooking, and tightening the hose clamps only made it worse. I could have made through another season I guess, but the smell was anoying me. I replaced them with some generic water hose from O'reily's auto parts for less than $5.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Back Marker

Well, I am not smelling antifreeze when the engine is hot, so this may just be the overflow hose then, as it drip from the hose at the bottom of the bike.
Maybe it had something to do with the cooler weather, because it wasn't doing it before it got cold this week.
I will investigate further when I get home today.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
xecutech, when I purchased my hawk I would notice some coolant puddled under the bike after riding after a serious exam I traced it to a loose hose clamp on the front cyl. water jacket look closely coolant leaves a distinct trail where it travels! but since yours was sitting for a while then leaked just wash everything down go for a ride to heat things up then look over everything real good and watch for drips! my leak was not bad but gone un-noticed it could have been terrible. good luck let us know what you find
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If it is in fact coming from one of those tubes it's either the overflow from the tank or it's the telltale drain from the water pump. Depends on the year. I think they added the hose to the water pump drain in '00 or '01. The mechanical seal will sometimes weep a little bit. That's okay. If it gets worse then it's time to replace it.

BTW, even though it's green, the coolant is NOT the "normal" stuff. You need silicate-free coolant. I have only found silicate-free green coolant at the Honda dealer. I just did a complete flush and used the orange stuff from the auto parts store. Ensure and use distilled or deionized water.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Back Marker

Thanks, I washed the bike down today and went for about an hour long ride. Now it's parked in a clean spot and I will check it again in the morning. I checked it about 2 hours after riding and didn't have anything under it, so it may be fine. I would think it would have been leaking hot with pressure, but nothing. I checked the coolant level and it was a tiny bit above the line, so it may have had too much to start with.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
You might also want to check the compressor on the AC. You will get lots of condensation build up that leaks off and can fool you.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Funny guy.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by drew_c14
You might also want to check the compressor on the AC. You will get lots of condensation build up that leaks off and can fool you.

Well, the model I have doesn't have the ac option, so that would rule that out.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator
World Champion

They all have the a/c option. But it only works certain times of the year.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If it is in fact coming from one of those tubes it's either the overflow from the tank or it's the telltale drain from the water pump. Depends on the year. I think they added the hose to the water pump drain in '00 or '01. The mechanical seal will sometimes weep a little bit. That's okay. If it gets worse then it's time to replace it.

BTW, even though it's green, the coolant is NOT the "normal" stuff. You need silicate-free coolant. I have only found silicate-free green coolant at the Honda dealer. I just did a complete flush and used the orange stuff from the auto parts store. Ensure and use distilled or deionized water.
Ok, so I am thinking we now need a coolant thread...I am not sure what is in the tank, I bought some water wetter when I was still in TX, but alas it doesn't seem to get as hot here, or not yet anyway....

So how often do you change coolant? and what mix for what climate? ie temps/weather etc....??