Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Laid her down, but oh so gently!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Squid
Squid

superman22x is on a distinguished road
Looks good! I also painted my hawk recently. I used House of Kolor paint, which has an awesome selection if you aren't doing stock. I used an ATD spraygun. Fairly common brand, my friend had it given to him from his dad's body shop. But you can pick them up for ~$20 on ebay. It was just a touch up gun, but that worked great for a bike! The 20 gal compressor I have had no issues either.
For full size guns, the Harbor Freight ones are supposed to be decent for what you pay. Devilbiss is probably the most popular for home painting though.

It is very satisfying to paint your own bike I think. When people compliment the looks, you can be even more proud! Haha.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Superman22X! You should post some pictures for the group to view of your completed Hawk. I have to give all the credit to Jose, at Bikers Only here in Orlando. He is as meticulous as I am, and kept me on my toes and assisted a lot. Paint was from ColorRite, about $135.00 for a pint so not cheap! I also purchased some clearcoat, activator, reducer, thinner, Nason white paint for base, and mixing cups from Finishmaster which ran about $84. I then rented the booth space from Jose, along with a professional paint gun. The biggest paint mistake that most make is not understanding that you have to spend a lot of time in prepping the pieces PRIOR to painting. It took Jose and I several days to fix stress cracks, prime, then both block and wet sand each piece before we even picked up a paint gun. Painting motorcycle parts can be a lot more difficult than a car, because of all the angles and tight corners. Jose does painting from all over the world, since many places ship parts to him, but he is reasonable and can be reached at this web-site, bikes only bodyshop - Home.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Squid
Squid

superman22x is on a distinguished road
I posted pictures somewhere a few months ago when I finished it I think.
Yeah, it takes a LOT of time. Anyone can spray, the prep work is what can really make it shine. I use the primer and guide coat technique. It's pretty fool proof if followed. Between clear, color, and base, I spent around $200. I only ordered a half a quart of color, which was enough, but I got sent a full quart. So now I'm looking for the next thing I can paint Tangelo, haha. My first bike, before I had a compressor, I did with duplicolor and then Spraymax 2k clear coat, and it turned out awesome. A great option on a budget.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

I just viewed your photos Superman22X, and that Tangelo paint color looks nice on your Hawk. You did a fantastic job! I like the color because it is unique, and distinctive to your taste. I considered changing the color of my Hawk, but the Titanium Metallic is special and looks even better when newly painted.

Fairings are back on the bike. Much appreciation to Captainchaos for the mock up suggestion. Saved me a lot of headaches. All the fairing connections were off with the new replacements, so it took a little time to get everything realigned. I'm now just waiting on some additional screw pans, nut springs, nut flanges, and bolts since the originals were lost with the drop. I should have it all together with pics over the weekend.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, you know how the song goes.....Just took my Hawk for a long ride after more than a month, and snapped a few pics for the forum! It took me a week to get her together and she is running better than new after the carb re-jet, neutral position sensor change, and a few more modifications I made during the tear down. The PVLIR thread was invaluable, since I completely forgot the vacuum and fuel line hook-ups. If you don't know what I am referring too, review this thread! The only other mod. I plan to make is changing the exhaust in the near future. Like those Devils, so on the hunt. Thanks to all. Ride Or Die my friends, Ride or Die!
Attached Thumbnails Laid her down, but oh so gently!-final-2.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-final-4.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-final-6.jpg   Laid her down, but oh so gently!-final-7.jpg