Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lack of beer. Rim machining idea.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Lack of beer. Rim machining idea.

So I hope someone who actually has done this at least once chimes in. The harley boys are doing it to spun cast rims so why cant I go a degree less than cutting holes in places that shouldn't.
I was thinking about buying a front rim for a 1000rr at 240.00 a pop. New from china. with high quality chinese techniques taken from outdated machining process...

No disc and with bearings it says in the package the rim weighs 12.8lbs Dunno what vtr discs weigh neither do I know what cbr1000rr rims with or without discs actually weigh without a tire. Been looking for a week.

What I do know is how much a stock vtr rim weighs with disc. 17.5 and an rc is 14.

Now lets go a bit deeper.
Take it out of the box and maybe 500 grams. shave the flashing and casting marks away from all surfaces sand off paint and maybe were at a food 12 lbs or less.

Now heres the voodoo danger territory. cutting into the hoop in a less structural area.. I bet I could get that rim down to 11.5 with a disc for nowhere near the price of a pm rim.
I know they are like 8 without a disc. But money saved here could go to a bst rear.
I know that the clutch can see heaps of material removed so why not a rim.
The other thing is I will go to the bike bone yard and see if they got a good rim for the similar price then id abandon it.
Forgot to mention id dye it and anodize it. I have had moderate sucess with doing this before without proper concentrations of acid to do my etch.
any data other than photos of rims flying off bikes would be nice but I like those too