General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Jardine exhaust fitment... or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Jardine exhaust fitment... or lack thereof

Brand new high mounts. Right side mid-pipe slipped on like a "slip-on" should, albeit leaving the can a little too close to the passenger peg hangar (can is actually touching it, which I do not care for)...

But the left side won't go on for ****... I get it to just go on up to the the end of the clamp area slits (barely) and then it won't go any further... I know it's better tight, but the right side actually had some play before it was clamped up. The left side still has almost 3/8" to a half inch before it bottoms on the stop, but even persuasion with a rubber mallet does not help.

I plan on calling Jardine tomorrow, but before I send it back to them and let them deal with it which would take weeks, can I just bring it to a zauhst shop and have them flare it a lil' more? Is the mid-pipe chromed? I don't want to screw it up if it is, but I am thinking it's just polished stainless...

Any thought, comments, or help is appreciated as usual gents.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same issue... but attributed it to the JetHot coating I had on the midpipes.... I found using a dremel and some sandpaper on the mating surfaces helped give me enough slop to get it together.

The other notable issue you will find is that the Jardine exhaust brackets are identical/mirrored left to right... yet the passenger pegs where the original exhaust hangs from are not, one is actually slightly further offset (left). You might need to make some spacers, or use some washers to get it to line up just right. I fiddled with mine for about 2 hours to get he right combination of location on both the left and right that fit correctly, and looked somewhat symetrical, although my left side is a bit further outward than the rightside... but you can only notice it if you look at the distance from the plate to the exhaust cans.

J.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Also is the return shipping which will cost you big bucks. I have lost respect for mine after tearing them apart twice for coating. If they don't go on far enough I just take a short piece of 2X4, hold it over the exhaust opening in rear of the can and whack it with a 3lb maul. Make sure everything is in proper alignment before you knock it on there because there will be a wrestling match between two strong men to get them back apart. The cans are suprisingly strong and have never had any marking or bending.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yes am trying the dremel idea today, along with some washers for spacers as well... It is gonna take a lot of grinding though...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM
SuperSport

You might also wanna try a little heat... propane torch on the midpipe, and if you can freeze the can a bit, it might help some... but odds are you're gonna need to dremel/sand a bit first.

J.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

The fitment problem is not the can to mid, it is the midpipe to the stock header... I did try heating it up, but it is not going on there... trust me. I have done everything but use a baseball bat. Are these pipes chromed? If they are just polished, I will bring it to a shop and have them expand it a bit.

Part of the problem I think is when they dented the midpipe for chain clearance with that square shaped dent, it changed the pipes shape too much...

Last edited by supermarto; 11-28-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Thanks for your help, I got it to go on fine by slightly sanding the header, slightly grinding out the mid-pipe, and using a bag of ice water to cool the header along with a torch to heat up the mid-pipe... Slips on perfectly now with plenty of play for adjustment of fitment. Now I need to shim the peg mount brackets and I should be good to go... These SOB's are straight through, no restrictions at all, huh? I got the race cans. Lots of packing, but they are much different from my Microns with the offset baffles.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

You get the 2" or 2.5" versions... I have the 2"... they aren't that bad at all.

J.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by supermarto
Thanks for your help, I got it to go on fine by slightly sanding the header, slightly grinding out the mid-pipe, and using a bag of ice water to cool the header along with a torch to heat up the mid-pipe... Slips on perfectly now with plenty of play for adjustment of fitment. Now I need to shim the peg mount brackets and I should be good to go... These SOB's are straight through, no restrictions at all, huh? I got the race cans. Lots of packing, but they are much different from my Microns with the offset baffles.
I originally took a cutting wheel to my peg brackets and trimmed them down, Then i finally decided to remove the rear pegs as i will never be doubling anyone anyway. Makes the high mounts look so much sweeter with the rear pegs and mounts off.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
You get the 2" or 2.5" versions... I have the 2"... they aren't that bad at all.
If you mean the inlet diameter at the can, I believe they are 2.25" But the mid-pipe diameter is 2" up to the can inlet so I guess they are the 2" system.

I originally took a cutting wheel to my peg brackets and trimmed them down, Then i finally decided to remove the rear pegs as i will never be doubling anyone anyway. Makes the high mounts look so much sweeter with the rear pegs and mounts off.
I currently have no one to ride bitch and don't plan on riding two up anytime soon... but if I can stop wrenching on my damn rides long enough to go find a girlfriend, maybe I will have some need for them!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

My mistake... I think you have the 2.25" if thats what you measured... I assume they are probably a tad louder than the 2"ers... you'll like them either way. If they turn out to be too obnoxiously loud for you, they sell an insert to quiet them down.... it's expensive (40 a side) but sheaper than losing cash on an exhaust buy that you have to resell!!

J.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Welp, considering I am currently tormenting the neighborhood with a pair of fully de-baffled stockers I can't do much worse...

I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them, $399 shipping included.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Squid

kfkraenz
I put on a pair of Jardine high mounts and I would have had a problem with fitment also, but my buddy had a tool to spread out the exhaust. I don't know where to find one, but they do make a tool for the job.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermarto

I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them, $399 shipping included.
That is about as good as it gets. I'm convinced any of these exhaust systems are a wrestling match. This is compounded by coating. I got mine together and they look and sound good - well, good enough.

If I did it all over I would have stretched a couple of the unions before they were ceramic coated. The cheap pipe stretchers from Harbor Freight would do the trick. It only takes a few thousandths so be careful!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
The cheap pipe stretchers from Harbor Freight would do the trick. It only takes a few thousandths so be careful!
I thought about those, but I hate buying China unless I absolutely have to. Anyway, I got it on there with fifteen minutes of grinding, sanding, heat and a bag of icewater. Worked like a charm! No pipe brutality needed...

The left side can DID give me a hard time slippin onto the mid-pipe though. I positioned it as best I could on the pipe, took the whole pipe off the header, and persuaded it on there with a rubber mallet. I doubt even two guys could twist that can off the pipe now and the necessity of the clamp is even negligible...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Hammer, curses, 2x4, more hammer and then knocking the bike off the stands cracking and scratching the fairing to hell. Still looking for the yellow touch up paint or something that might work....