Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

just about fed up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
just about fed up!

I am so sick and tired of this frickin bike! I have had the carbs off I dont know how many times now to clean them to try to sovle this issue of the rear carb running itself outta fuel. I just cant figure it out. I've taken them all apart, soaked every jet, pilots and all. blew everything out with air and sprayed the crap ouTta everything with carb cleaner. I mean these things look brand frickin new. I really wanted the set off trinc but my funds fell out right at the last minute. SUCKS TO ME!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Are you sure that the tank valve is good? That can be a source of fuel starvation. Even if the fuel is flowing it might not be going fast enough. My older bikes have this problem from time to time.

Besides the carb cleanliness, what have you checked?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
PVLIR?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Also how and when is the rear carb running out of fuel?
And how have you isolated it down to the rear carb?

Hope you don't take either question wrong, just need some more info to try and help you figure this out.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
SuperBike

Dickard, just a quick check but have you made sure all the hoses, particularly the small vacuum hose is going to the correct nipple on the fuel petcock? It does NOT go on the one pointing down.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Dickard, just a quick check but have you made sure all the hoses, particularly the small vacuum hose is going to the correct nipple on the fuel petcock? It does NOT go on the one pointing down.
yeah I've been a victim of PVLIR already so I know very well where the hoses go I've checked all the vacuum lines as well as fuel lines and replaced the petcock diaphram as well. I know its the rear becuz when it started to act up one time before I immediately shut it off and tore into it. When I removed the hoses I noticed that there was no fuel in the rear carb fuel line and upon further inspection when I had had the carbs off I took the bowl off the rear and she was dry where as the front was full. It usually does this from time to time and once I get it restarted its usually good for the rest of the day but today when I took her out she just didn't clear up at all. She would clear out for just a li'l bit, but then right back to running like crap.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Also how and when is the rear carb running out of fuel?
And how have you isolated it down to the rear carb?

Hope you don't take either question wrong, just need some more info to try and help you figure this out.
No worries man I don't take anything the wrong way lol. I added some more info to another quote above so any help is much appreciated. thanks.

EDIT: this did just all of sudden happen too, there were no warning signs of anything about to happen just ridding down the road one day and she started this crap.

Last edited by dickard37; 10-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dickard37
I know its the rear becuz when it started to act up one time before I immediately shut it off and tore into it. When I removed the hoses I noticed that there was no fuel in the rear carb fuel line and upon further inspection when I had had the carbs off I took the bowl off the rear and she was dry where as the front was full.
The only way that could be a carb issue would be if the float circuit was screwed up, causing the inlet valve to remain closed. A stuck float (stuck in the up position) or the inlet valve stuck shut would be the only possible carb related causes. And since the inlet valve attaches solidly to the float, it should open as long as the float drops as it should. I'm assuming the float bowl vent is clear.

That only leaves the line leading from the petcock to the carb, and the petcock. I understand your frustration, but if the float moves freely in the rear carb, I'd take another look at the petcock. Good luck.

And make sure you've got strong vacuum going to the petcock.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 10-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
So, your saying the fuel line was dry when you pulled it from the petcock? Have you tried applying some vacuum to the petcock to see if fuel flows from both spouts? If fuel is flowing there is either blockage in the fuel line or the float is stuck.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by inderocker
So, your saying the fuel line was dry when you pulled it from the petcock? Have you tried applying some vacuum to the petcock to see if fuel flows from both spouts? If fuel is flowing there is either blockage in the fuel line or the float is stuck.
yep did that too, fuel flows really good from both side, I replaced the petcock diaphram just to be sure. i'm gonna try one more time to clean everything AGAIN and see what happens I'm leaning towards a stuck float but I just don't know
Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
I fought this problem for a while. opening the gas cap while running would solve running issue. (i have a screw in gas cap) Found the tank vent line check valve was stopped up. removed it, problem solved.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
yeah I've been a victim of PVLIR already so I know very well where the hoses go I've checked all the vacuum lines as well as fuel lines and replaced the petcock diaphram as well. I know its the rear becuz when it started to act up one time before I immediately shut it off and tore into it. When I removed the hoses I noticed that there was no fuel in the rear carb fuel line and upon further inspection when I had had the carbs off I took the bowl off the rear and she was dry where as the front was full. It usually does this from time to time and once I get it restarted its usually good for the rest of the day but today when I took her out she just didn't clear up at all. She would clear out for just a li'l bit, but then right back to running like crap.

So the line from the tank valve was not getting fuel (just the rear carb)? If so then it's the tank valve/petcock most likely. Not a bad idea to check the filler cap vent too though.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
So the line from the tank valve was not getting fuel (just the rear carb)? If so then it's the tank valve/petcock most likely. Not a bad idea to check the filler cap vent too though.

If the line is dry then it's a petcock issue of some sort. Have you opened the petcock and visually inspected the diaphragm? It might have a pin hole or very small crack that could possibly let the diaphragm close at odd times. Also have you checked the filter screen in the tank. Yes it is a real bitch to get out but at this point it should be checked.

Also check the vents, but the quick test for that would be to open the tank when it happens. If you hear the tank suck air in when you open it and it starts right up with no issues right after you open it, then you have a vent issue. If there is no change and if the line is dry, it has to be a petcock issue.

About the only other place to look would be the float vent lines. It would be a long shot but if the bowl vent was clogged it might not let the bowl fill. The vent lines are the lines that cross in the center of the carb stay and attach to the side of the carb next to the diaphragm cover. Then again this wouldn't cause the feed line to be dry.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

He said both lines feed fuel when vacuum is applied so it's not the petcock. Sounds like a stuck float.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
He said both lines feed fuel when vacuum is applied so it's not the petcock. Sounds like a stuck float.

Yes he did but he also said this:

When I removed the hoses I noticed that there was no fuel in the rear carb fuel line and upon further inspection when I had had the carbs off I took the bowl off the rear and she was dry where as the front was full.
Which means the fuel doesn't flow out of the petcock all of the time..... and a stuck float wouldn't make the line from the petcock to the carb go dry.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
My vote is for the tank and related components - overfilling past the bar at the neck is not recommended, check the vent hose for blockage and check the routing as they have been known to get a block if there is a u bend in the routing.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
SuperBike

Yes he did but he also said this:

Which means the fuel doesn't flow out of the petcock all of the time..... and a stuck float wouldn't make the line from the petcock to the carb go dry.
I must have skimmed over that one........dang it. Definintely start at the first point of failure.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by revhead1957
My vote is for the tank and related components - overfilling past the bar at the neck is not recommended, check the vent hose for blockage and check the routing as they have been known to get a block if there is a u bend in the routing.
I blew air through the tank vent tube and there were no obstructions. I blew air through the bowl vent also and there were no obstructions there either. I very rarely fill the tank past that bar too so vapor lock is not the issue. And I have only a 1/2 tank in there now and its still doing it.

I looked at brand new petcocks and that just about made me fall off my chair. $182 frickin dollars for the whole assembly...... damn it!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

They have repair kits on E-bay all the time for a lot less than the cost of a new petcock.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Here ya go. get one of these and rebuild the petcock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...item483cbdeec4

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item5889b20ca4

and that should fix things
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Back Marker

Here ya go. get one of these and rebuild the petcock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...item483cbdeec4

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item5889b20ca4

and that should fix things
unless the whole petcock comes with that kit, I have already replaced the diaphrams in the petcock. Did that like 2 months ago.

Last edited by dickard37; 10-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Don't know what to tell you then. There is just no good reason that I can think of for why it doesn't flow fuel to both carbs.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Back Marker

Don't know what to tell you then. There is just no good reason that I can think of for why it doesn't flow fuel to both carbs.
yep! pretty much where I stand too...... its a confusing one for sure!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
my suggestion is,switch the hoses on the petcock from one side to the other,this will dtermine if its a carb issue or a petcock issue,if the oppisite carb now gets dry than you know its a petcock issue,if the same one still goes dry,you know its a carb problem.than you can do product of elimanation.

Last edited by saige; 10-09-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Also check the hoses to the carbs for pinhole leaks... That could make them not open the petcock but still not leak the fuel out in streams... I had that problem baffle me for a while...
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Replace all the hoses, see if that fixes it.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:12 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
if I lived by you we could switch carbs and see if that fixed the problem. At least if you start switching stuff you might be able to isolate the problem. I don't know if it's possible to switch your carbs or at least the float bowls to see if it changes anything. just brainstorming. Anyone live by you? could switch in a short time.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Back Marker

ok! so I replaced EVERY vacuum line and checked the fuel lines for pin holes, cracks and whatever else I might be able to see. Then when I was putting all back together I broke the stupid plastic SE nut for the choke I ordered a brass one for the polaris. I found a post in the search section that says this fits,,, we'll see. Should be here by Saturday hopefully. And by golly this had better fix this damn issue of running empty on the rear carb..........
Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
did you switch the gas lines to see if the other carb goes dry.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by saige
did you switch the gas lines to see if the other carb goes dry.
You know what, I completely forgot about that but when I was changing the vacuum lines I did notice that the little vacuum line on the side of the rear carb was really old looking and offered no resistance when I took it off, like it was really worn out, so I replaced it as well....... Once I get this new SE nut I'll run it and see if anything happens. If not then HELL YEAH!!!!! If it still does it then switching those fuel lines will be my next course of action......

Quick Reply: just about fed up!