Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

just about fed up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
When you're done with all of this you'll be able to work on the carbs blinfolded, upside down, locked in chains and underwater houdini style
Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 PM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
When you're done with all of this you'll be able to work on the carbs blinfolded, upside down, locked in chains and underwater houdini style
And doing so through the left exhaust pipe!

What a pain in the a.

BBB
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BBB
And doing so through the left exhaust pipe!

What a pain in the a.

BBB
lmao,,,,, +1 on that!!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:13 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
well,hopefully after all this,maybe changing those vac lines than might just do it.its usually the tiny stuff that makes the biggest difference.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige
i have no idea how my post got here,but just ignore it,i was on another page "just fed up"left a post,and now im here,inderocker,if you see this,something going on with the forum,its been jumping like this alot.

inde,just erase this post,something is going on
under your post, select "edit" and there will be an option to "delete".
Old 10-29-2010, 06:24 PM
the boss
SuperBike

thanks
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Back Marker

well I got it all back together and I took it for a short 35 mile ride cuz it was almost dark and I didn't want to get stuck in the dark (afeered). Anyway,,,, it didn't act up or anything I even noticed less backfire pops on decel. Hopefully tomorrow the rain holds off long enough to take it out for a true test.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

thanks
you're welcome
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by dickard37
well I got it all back together and I took it for a short 35 mile ride cuz it was almost dark and I didn't want to get stuck in the dark (afeered). Anyway,,,, it didn't act up or anything I even noticed less backfire pops on decel. Hopefully tomorrow the rain holds off long enough to take it out for a true test.
promising. in any of your forays into the carbs, did you happen to adjust the TPS? carb sync? these may smooth things out a bit.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nath981
promising. in any of your forays into the carbs, did you happen to adjust the TPS? carb sync? these may smooth things out a bit.
I did check the TPS a while back and it was right around 500 something ohms I don't remember the exact #'s though. The manual says it should read between 490-510 so I just might check it again real soon.... as for the carb sync, I haven't resynced it yet but thats coming real soon too. I just want to make sure everythings gonna run right first. It did run really smooth throughout the gears tonight so we'll see... (fingers crossed)
Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

Good you got the TPS; the carb sync ought to get her smoothed out for sure. Easy to make a home made tool and it works great.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Back Marker

UN-FRICKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! I just took the bike out to go to the store. Not even a block away from the house it frickin starts its crap..... I'm at a loss here now......the fuel lines are good, its not the vacuum lines (replaced all those this week), its not the petcock diaphram (replaced that 2 months ago)...... this makes absolutely no frickin sense.....
Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM
the boss
SuperBike

dammmmm,sorry to hear that,looked promising,tommorow,go to the auto part store,get some gas line hose and put those on temp and switch them,if its only the rear carb,it should go dry.
than atleast you will now if you gotta take it apart and play with it.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Back Marker

dammmmm,sorry to hear that,looked promising,tommorow,go to the auto part store,get some gas line hose and put those on temp and switch them,if its only the rear carb,it should go dry.
than atleast you will now if you gotta take it apart and play with it.
yep thats the plan...... I'm also gonna order a new float and float needle too.... it HAS to be something simple....
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
the boss
SuperBike

i bet it is,if you have my luck,you will find out it was a $3.00 fix
im almost sure it has to be something in there sticking a little,and it seems to only happen after you ride it,when its warmed up and stuff.just take your time with it,and just maybe you will see something that you didnt before.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

UN-FRICKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! I just took the bike out to go to the store. Not even a block away from the house it frickin starts its crap..... I'm at a loss here now......the fuel lines are good, its not the vacuum lines (replaced all those this week), its not the petcock diaphram (replaced that 2 months ago)...... this makes absolutely no frickin sense.....
Lighten up dick, ain't going to accomplish nothing with all that anger. Although it's certainly frustrating, and I have been there many times with many diff situations. If i were in your situation, i wouldn't expect that you resolved the issue until it was resolved. Rather I would expect the opposite. There are too many variables. Better off trying to isolate the problem first by eliminating potential players like a carb switch rather than random strikes. I do think it's good to fix obvious problems you run across like a cracked vacuum line, etc. That said, sometimes you get lucky with that approach, but i usually have the same result you experienced with that modus operandi. Nothin personal, just my .02.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Just to throw this out there.. Are you 100% sure it is fuel related and not a flaky coil?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lazn
Just to throw this out there.. Are you 100% sure it is fuel related and not a flaky coil?
Quite sure its fuel related. When this occured one time before I immediately shut it off and took it apart. I found that only the rear carb didn't have fuel. I changed the coils to the CBR stick coils a few months back because I thought that was the original problem. It's odd because it doesn't do this all the time. Its sporadic and it is very frustrating indeed. I will however fix this issue because I love this bike and I brought her back from the brink of death the PO had left her in.....
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

Lighten up dick, ain't going to accomplish nothing with all that anger. Although it's certainly frustrating, and I have been there many times with many diff situations. If i were in your situation, i wouldn't expect that you resolved the issue until it was resolved. Rather I would expect the opposite. There are too many variables. Better off trying to isolate the problem first by eliminating potential players like a carb switch rather than random strikes. I do think it's good to fix obvious problems you run across like a cracked vacuum line, etc. That said, sometimes you get lucky with that approach, but i usually have the same result you experienced with that modus operandi. Nothin personal, just my .02.
yes sir (hangs head) I know what you mean but damn it this is driving me nuts...... The only other thing I can think to try now, other than new set of carbs, is getting a new float and needle...... it just make no sense and I appreciate your .02 every bit helps thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
How can it be carb related, if the fuel line is empty?
Can I suggest some more checking to identify exactly what is going on, apologies if you have done it all before:
1. Remove the tank completely, place it on the bench and suck on the vacuum line to check the fuel flows out of both petcock outlets.
2. Suck on the line again and crimp it off, check the fuel flow remains constant for several minutes. Probably a good idea to have a container to collect what flows out.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by revhead1957
How can it be carb related, if the fuel line is empty?
Can I suggest some more checking to identify exactly what is going on, apologies if you have done it all before:
1. Remove the tank completely, place it on the bench and suck on the vacuum line to check the fuel flows out of both petcock outlets.
2. Suck on the line again and crimp it off, check the fuel flow remains constant for several minutes. Probably a good idea to have a container to collect what flows out.
no apologies necessary.... I have done exactly that and I get very good flow from both side of the petcock...... although I didn't crimp it off I just held vacuum to it... I even went as far as to apply vacuum to it while the tank was empty and it still held vacuum..... other than the screen inside the tank everything is fine with that part I'm sure.... The screen is torn but not dirty.... I'll have to order a new one when i order a new needle and float....
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

two things you may want to try: the carb line switch as suggested and then i would put your old coils back on because they weren't the problem. Doesn't make sense that you ran it 35 miles with no problem and then the next ride it's acting up again.

And then I would sync the carbs because if they are out, sometimes it can translate into some unbelievable misfiring.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Back Marker

two things you may want to try: the carb line switch as suggested and then i would put your old coils back on because they weren't the problem. Doesn't make sense that you ran it 35 miles with no problem and then the next ride it's acting up again.

And then I would sync the carbs because if they are out, sometimes it can translate into some unbelievable misfiring.
thats what I can't figure out either.... why is it just intermittent like that.... It makes no sense to me either..... I already threw the old coils away. They had 30k + miles on them and these stick coils work great and came off a bike that had only 4k miles and I got 4 of 'em for under $100 bucks. I'm gonna hit up autozone tomorrow for some fuel line and swap them out and see what happens there.....
Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

Just thinking out loud...it has to be something stupidly simple...
Just to recap, this is a fuel supply issue, isn't it? You get the misfire and one float bowl and line are dry, like it has run out of fuel?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
MotoGP

thats what I can't figure out either.... why is it just intermittent like that.... It makes no sense to me either..... I already threw the old coils away. They had 30k + miles on them and these stick coils work great and came off a bike that had only 4k miles and I got 4 of 'em for under $100 bucks. I'm gonna hit up autozone tomorrow for some fuel line and swap them out and see what happens there.....
well good, you got 4 of them. Exchange them for the spares if the carb switch doesn't yield any results.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by revhead1957
Just thinking out loud...it has to be something stupidly simple...
Just to recap, this is a fuel supply issue, isn't it? You get the misfire and one float bowl and line are dry, like it has run out of fuel?
yes sir thats the issue... It's always just the rear carb. And it doesn't do it all the time. It can run all day one day without doing it then the next day it won't run for sh@t....
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Back Marker

Still thinking...So, if the line is dry only on that carb (you have checked the other line?) it has to be the petcock or the line doesn't it? Can't be the tank, because that would affect both carbs..
The rear carb/float is not the problem because the line is dry. Ahhh no, not quite - what about the float bowl vent? If that was blocked or kinked then fuel flow would be limited...worth a check.
Is it possible to check the fuel line routing with the tank in place - no kinks? You are using good quality fuel line that doesn't collapse with the heat?
Excuse the verbal diarrhea again...revisited this several times as I think about things.

PS: more thinking...intermittent...might be worth checking if there is any particles coming through from the tank that blocks the petcock and then shifts around/refloats back up into the tank.

Last edited by revhead1957; 11-01-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Back Marker

Ok so I have no idea why this would work but "apparently" it did..... I took the carbs off yesterday morning and decided I would try something and this is what I did.. I swtiched the front float and needle with the rear and put the rears in the front.... and for some reason or another who knows the bike has not acted up at all since yesterday morning and I've put almost 100 miles on it since just riding around here and there stopping for a couple hours to let it sit because it would usually act up right after that but NOTHING!!!!!!!!! I just don't understand it but "apparently" something happened the right way....... anyways THANKS to all who replied and helped me out through these trying time you guys and this forum are GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
the boss
SuperBike

maybe something was pinched or sticking and by taking it out and switching got everything lined up again.
but,just dont mess with it and enjoy the ride
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Back Marker

maybe something was pinched or sticking and by taking it out and switching got everything lined up again.
but,just dont mess with it and enjoy the ride
oh believe me I'm not gonna touch anything lol

Quick Reply: just about fed up!