Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Installing APE's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
Installing APE's

Well I ordered my APE's. Coming tomorrow. Well now my buddy says he can't do it for 3 weeks, so I had a question, ive read through the whole install that the other guy posted, but here is my questions.

1. I have worked on bikes before, mainly dirtbikes though, if i just follow his instructions, can someone who maybe slightly mechanically inclined, be able to do this with no problems?

2. I was talking to him, and he was saying for my kind of riding, since I dont run the hell out of the bike and hardly go over 8k rpm, he said I should be okay riding it til he fixes it. What do you guys think since my bike has 29,000 on it. I really dont ride hard at all, no where near track style riding. Would I be okay. I just really hate to wait 3 weeks because my buddy is back in town sunday and wants to ride all next week since its going to be in the 70's and 80's. Plus its my means of transportation now to save gas.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
It appears it's not how hard its ridden that results in CCT failure - I was doing just 30mph when my front CCT imploded with trashed valves.

As long as you've got the necessary tools and take your time, and you don't have a problem removing trumpet screws then 3-4 hours is all it should take.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
god i dont know what to do, i have a perfectly running bike right now, but scared to ride it now because of this stupid CCT. But then no one can help me change it out for 3-4 weeks and i didnt buy a bike to watch it sit in my garage because im too scared to ride it, and then also to scared to fix it by myself and then really mess the bike up.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
you're riding your Superhawk to save gas?

trumpet screws... what are those? i just did 4 searches on them and came up empty.
i'm gonna pick up some APEs soon, too... and hopefully install them before i end up in the bad experiences that many with the OEM cam tensioners have had.

thanks,

-f
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Squid

Salieb76 is on a distinguished road
Sevenchaos, Bro I did them a week ago myself with the help of a friend mainly for support and it went fine with no issues. I dont have an extensive background in bike repair but I can read the tut and follow it with no issues. Man I was scared too to be honest but you follow what was written and take the precautions that the other members posted and you will be fine. Remember to take your time and double check everything.

I was going to pay the delaer and they quoted me 300! Hell No!! Thats when I took the advice from many on this site to just get the ***** to do it myself and learn about my bike at the same time.

Beleive me its not that bad, It sounds worse than what it really is. Just take your time and follow the tut and you will be ok. Hit me up for any questions bro, Im happy to help.

Last edited by Salieb76; 04-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred

trumpet screws... what are those? i just did 4 searches on them and came up empty.

-f
Trumpets / Air Funnels Part 7 & 6 with the screws being part no. 16

The screws are made of cheese and factory loctited secure - seen them get rounded out necessitating either drilling out or or sawing to put a notch for a flat headed screwdriver (careful of swarf falling down into the carb- use rags and hoovered out). I replaced my mine with allen/hex headed bolts and reloctited on reassembly.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>AIR CLEANER
Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Wicky
Trumpets / Air Funnels Part 7 & 6 with the screws being part no. 16
that's the only thing that came up in my search. IMHO, probably the easiest part to remove and install on the whole damn bike. i figured it must be something else under the valve covers.
on reflection, though, if you're using a crapped out phillips head, or the wrong size, on those things you will have problems. press down hard and keep it normal to the face of the screw-head. i've broken almost everything else on the bike at one time or another, but never had a problem with those.

Last edited by fred; 04-30-2011 at 07:27 PM.