Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM
dirty rider
Squid

dirty_\/ is on a distinguished road
ignition

i was recently cut off, and my front end was destroyed. the key broke in the ignition, and it was the only one i had. the ignition is also busted, so i need to know how to start it now? i know it will still run, i just need to start it. im turning it into a treet fighter, and i also need ideas for a front headlight, and turn signal mounting. im short on money, so try to be cheap, lol. thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The cheapest and safest way will be to take it to a locksmith. For $30 or so they should be able to get the old key out and make you a new one.

For the safety and security of others there will be no posts made describing wire jumping.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Hooray for site administration!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
dirty rider
Squid

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Hooray for site administration!!!
hooray!!!!!!!1 anyways i was thinking more along the lines of keyless, or using a different ignition, since the one i had is destroyed.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
what about connecting a wire from the battery to the starter? hahah forget the ignition all together...just have to carry a 3 foot piece of jumper cable with you at all times...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
dirty rider
Squid

Originally Posted by Scumbag
what about connecting a wire from the battery to the starter? hahah forget the ignition all together...just have to carry a 3 foot piece of jumper cable with you at all times...
i was thinking about doing that, but adding a switch inbatween, so i could turn it off and on.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You will find key sets for sale on ebay. They don't have to be for the VTR either if you stick to similar year bikes like the cbr or vfr series. You'll need to remove the top triple and have a good torx bit to remove the ignition barrel. Tip: penetrating oil and impact it with a hammer a couple of time before trying to bust the locktite threads.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scumbag
That will only spin the starter. The ignition system (coils, plugs) along with the rest of the harness will still be dead.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
The superhawk runs too well...I have only had to do it on a duc w/ electrical probs....worked dandy
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM
dirty rider
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
You will find key sets for sale on ebay. They don't have to be for the VTR either if you stick to similar year bikes like the cbr or vfr series. You'll need to remove the top triple and have a good torx bit to remove the ignition barrel. Tip: penetrating oil and impact it with a hammer a couple of time before trying to bust the locktite threads.
i just busted the locktight, lol. and i bought a new ignition on ebay that has no key for 30 bux. i thought that i would have a locksmith make me one.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Squid

Reinske is on a distinguished road
For about 80€ you get an alarm system with remoted engine starter. Got one of those. Then you won't need an ignition switch any more...

But I still have one, it's more comfortable with the key. Cause I'm always searching for that damn remote thing... So I would try it like Hawkrider said...