Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2000 Hawk w/22k jumps out of 2nd @ 7k

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
2000 Hawk w/22k jumps out of 2nd @ 7k

Bought my S-Hawk used with 22k miles and other than some mild fairing abuse seems pretty clean. Bitch is... when I hit about 7k in second gear (not very necessary) it jumps into neutral consistently, did it before and after oil change. Don't know what was in it but I'm using Mobil 1 Full syn for Motorcycles 10w-40. As read elsewhere shifting from 1st to 2nd is clunky and trying at times. I am only a few months from some potential downtime and wonder if I can adjust or change a gearbox component to rectify this. I am a lifelong mechanic, just looking for some possible prior experience for advice... the Honda shop will NEVER see my bike.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by loserbaby
Bought my S-Hawk used with 22k miles and other than some mild fairing abuse seems pretty clean. Bitch is... when I hit about 7k in second gear (not very necessary) it jumps into neutral consistently, did it before and after oil change. Don't know what was in it but I'm using Mobil 1 Full syn for Motorcycles 10w-40. As read elsewhere shifting from 1st to 2nd is clunky and trying at times. I am only a few months from some potential downtime and wonder if I can adjust or change a gearbox component to rectify this. I am a lifelong mechanic, just looking for some possible prior experience for advice... the Honda shop will NEVER see my bike.
This is common. Mine does it sometimes, and has only gotten a little worse since I have owned it (I'm the third owner). It's probably a buggered shift fork (it doesn't take much), which unfortunately requires splitting the cases to fix.
I have learned to live with it. In the mountains, it doesn't bother me because I'm rarely, if ever, shifting from first to second once underway.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

Can case be split with the engine on the bike? Forgive my laziness, I haven't actually looked. I will assume not for now, any further experience will help. As stated, there is little reason for me to hit 7k in second, but the unexpected jump to neutral is a bit unpleasant. I am a new rider on my S-Hawk and am just testing new waters. Thanks for response.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It helps if you keep your foot in it!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem is most likely the dogs on second gear side of the shift collar and/or the dogs in the second gear. Of course it could also be the shift drum, shift forks, or detent. Try holding the shifter up when click to second and see if it pops out. If it does that pretty much confirms worn dogs. If not, it still could be the dogs they just aren't that bad yet. In any case to repair you are going to have to split the cases anyway. Pull it apart and it should be obvious. You should be able to find cheap transmission internals from a low mileage crash damaged motor.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by loserbaby
Can case be split with the engine on the bike? Forgive my laziness, I haven't actually looked. I will assume not for now, any further experience will help. As stated, there is little reason for me to hit 7k in second, but the unexpected jump to neutral is a bit unpleasant. I am a new rider on my S-Hawk and am just testing new waters. Thanks for response.
Nope. Cases can't be split with engine in the bike. I have done it and it's not too bad if you get your mind right and take your time.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
What about the shifter kit that the other guys have been installing? They say it does a killer job of cleaning up the one-two shift but before I split the cases I would check this out.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

Thanks for response, I have seen posts about the "other shifter kit" I have a few months and my bike remains totally ridable for now, so I'll just keep reading until the time comes.

LB
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

The time is now... jumping out of second has become worse and is now consistently happening at about 5500rpm. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a mechanic so I will get thru it, I am just wondering if the factory pro shifter kit might be enough to keep it in gear? It's not apart yet... but soon.

LB
Old 02-07-2008, 05:45 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Your shifter detent is probably worn, or worse, the spring is broken. Seriously consider a shifter rebuild kit, or upgrade.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
A bent shift fork may have prevented complete engagement of the drum and dog, but now I would say the dog and drum faces are probably rounded off and getting worse.

A new shifter detent star won't fix it. It only makes a slight improvement to shifter action. No effect on engagement. If the spring has popped off the star cam, I would expect it to feel very loose when shifting and to come out of any gear.

Sorry, I already sold my transmission - cheap. Keep your eyes open for one. Sounds like your going to need it IMO.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

Yeh, I figured I'd be going "IN", what sucks about being a mechanic, it's always me....