Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I think conrod is broken....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:35 PM
not a
Back Marker

jonjonsocal is on a distinguished road
I think conrod is broken....

Yesterday I got a flat rear tire. After fixing it I decided to go for a spin to warm up the tire. I didnt make it around the block. It felt weir at first but i though it was me because I been driving my buddys 08 R6 the whole day. So after a few feet a clicking noise came out of the engine then it got louder lost power and the bike shutted off. Just like that in jus a couple hundred feet. I tried starting it and it sounded like if I was hammering the engine. So I left it. Didnt want to cause more damage.. I know nothing about engines but for what I read it sound like a broken conrod. :-( Im really sad bike has 14k miles it run and looks new. Never ben down. The previous owner baby it. I did too. So bummed. I dont know any good bike shops around here. Im not sure if I could afford dealers prices either.. So im stuck.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check that the CCT has broken (more than likely front) - Don't try and restart it
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Send me a PM and we can set up sometime next week so I can come and look at it for you, if you want.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
^^ take 'Hawk up on this. He'll be able to work on the VTR better than any mechanic in your area.

99% sure it's your CCT that failed like Wickey said. You have bent valves and maybe piston damage.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky
Check that the CCT has broken (more than likely front) - Don't try and restart it

I do have the manual CCT. Could it still be it? What are the symptoms of it going bad? Thanks for your help. Brother-in law knows a motorcycle shop down in TJ, he said he can take it there and get it. He takes his bikes there all the time..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jonjonsocal
I do have themanual CCT. Could it still be it? What are the symptoms of it going bad? Thanksfor your help. Brother-in law knows a motorcycle shop down in TJ, he said hecan take it there and get it. He takes his bikes there all the time..

The only manual CCT I have seen "gobad" was a homemade MOD done to the OEM ACCT.. It was a hack job to beginwith.

The install of a CCT has gone wrong, or failed later due to fasteners loosening.or the CCT incorrectly set up..

The “WAG” methodof diagnosis is hardly effective, normally costly, and usually less then satisfyingas tails are chased and money wasted.

Issues like you describe are easily diagnosed withsome common sense and basic understanding plus mechanical ability. Any shopworth it’s name and a Sign out front should be able to diagnose a hard partfailure like you describe.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-25-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
SuperBike

If you have a manual CCT installed it is very unlikely to have gone the way that the OEM CCTS goes, However if it was incorrectly set-up or the tensioner bolt has backed out despite the locknut then it could cause interesting engine noises as valves meet piston. i.e sounding like a big bag of nails in a tumble drier.

The only way to check is to get in there and dirty by taking off the cam covers and seeing what's going on.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Send me a PM and we can set up sometime next week so I can come and look at it for you, if you want.
Thanks. I did PM you last week lol about doing a tune up..
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
not a
Back Marker

Not too sure yet about what the mechanic did to get bike up an running again, all I know is that replaced the valves. Bike should be here before I get home from work. Bother-in-law is picking it up for me. If the valves got replaced what should I expect? would the bike we and ride the same?
It wasnt the cam chain. The problem is that I dont really let the bike warm up before riding. Neighbors dont like me much. but after this Im going to **** the neighbors everyday I dont really care about what they think at this point.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Not too sure yet about what the mechanic did to get bike up an running again, all I know is that replaced the valves. Bike should be here before I get home from work. Bother-in-law is picking it up for me. If the valves got replaced what should I expect? would the bike we and ride the same?
It wasnt the cam chain. The problem is that I dont really let the bike warm up before riding. Neighbors dont like me much. but after this Im going to **** the neighbors everyday I dont really care about what they think at this point.
Thanks
The bike doesn't need to be warmed up before riding... If the mechanic told you that, go somewhere else the enxt time...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
The bike doesn't need to be warmed up before riding... If the mechanic told you that, go somewhere else the enxt time...
Mechanic just told me a price to fix it thats all.. I was talking to me uncle, he was the one that mention that if you start the bike and go, your not letting the oil lubricate all the parts that need to. That day I turn it on and took off like a maniac. didnt make it around the corner.. all I told the mechanic is heres is my bike, its not running. How much to get it running again? he said a price I paid now it running again.. lol not much info at all. I was super busy at work couldnt take time off. He did called a day later saying few valves need replacing. I told him to go ahead and replace them all.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

"all I know is that replaced the valves"

Puzzled? If you have manual tensioners fitted then you need to know what went wrong and what's been done to stop the valves meeting the piston again.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky
"all I know is that replaced the valves"

Puzzled? If you have manual tensioners fitted then you need to know what went wrong and what's been done to stop the valves meeting the piston again.
Yeah. Ill find out today when I get it. I got the manual tensioners they got installed a few years ago by a pro. my main question is if theres anything I should or shouldnt do after replacing the valves. Is there a breaking period or anything like that. Im kind of new to bikes engines. Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
SuperBike

Get the money back from the 'Pro' you paid...

I got the manual tensioners they got installed a few years ago by a pro. my main question is if theres anything I should or shouldnt do after replacing the valves
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Yeah. Ill find out today when I get it. I got the manual tensioners they got installed a few years ago by a pro. my main question is if theres anything I should or shouldnt do after replacing the valves. Is there a breaking period or anything like that. Im kind of new to bikes engines. Thanks
Well, something was horribly wrong with the manual CCT install OR you didn't make fine adjustments over time to take up any slack.

What should you do after you replace the valves? Most people do a leak down test to insure the valves are closing.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Assuming that the problem was just bent valves there really isn't a breakin procedure other than making sure it's got oil in the crankcase. I would also recommend cranking it over with the kill switch off for @ 30 seconds to pump oil through the passages. If you hear any noises DO NOT START IT!

What ever you do do not fire it up and let it idle on the side stand! If you have a rear stand use it or just sit on the bike and let it idle up to temp. If all appears/sounds good ride it a few miles.

I agree that a leakdown would be good but that doesn't seem to be something you have the equipment to do.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Assuming that the problem was just bent valves there really isn't a breakin procedure other than making sure it's got oil in the crankcase. I would also recommend cranking it over with the kill switch off for @ 30 seconds to pump oil through the passages. If you hear any noises DO NOT START IT!

What ever you do do not fire it up and let it idle on the side stand! If you have a rear stand use it or just sit on the bike and let it idle up to temp. If all appears/sounds good ride it a few miles.

I agree that a leakdown would be good but that doesn't seem to be something you have the equipment to do.
leakdown, isnt that something the mechanic does for you? about letting it idle on the stand.. never do it? or just for now. Thank you for your help Im going home now to get the bike...

@Wicky-- Prev. owner got the manual CCT installed. I didnt do any adjustments and I think I could hear it loose too. I was planing on getting it serviced right before this happened. I was going to take it to 8541Hawk. the guy that installed the manual CCT retired and moved last year he had 35+ years working for honda.

thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
The bike doesn't like to idle on the side stand, it mostly affects the auto adjusters but it can cause oiling problems. If you don't have a rear stand get one. Cycle Gear has them for $50 on sale! Otherwise sit on it start it up when you can take the choke off take off you're warmed up enough!

If you're gonna see Hawk he'll set you straight hope you like tough love..lol.

As far as leakdown, most mechanics these days are too lazy to do it after a repair. They will offer to do it to sell you a repair though and charge you for it!

Last edited by HRCA#1; 04-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
not a
Back Marker

Nothing but bad news guys... I want to cry. Bike started fine. But a noticed a lil knocking sound from engine. So turn it off. Then i noticed dents all over the tank. They dropped the gas tank and did a 1/2 a$$ job. Im tacking tomorrow iff just to go choke his a$$. I called the owner and he didnt know my vike was ready. The tech rushed his a$$ fixing it.....
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
The bike doesn't like to idle on the side stand, it mostly affects the auto adjusters but it can cause oiling problems. If you don't have a rear stand get one. Cycle Gear has them for $50 on sale! Otherwise sit on it start it up when you can take the choke off take off you're warmed up enough!

If you're gonna see Hawk he'll set you straight hope you like tough love..lol.

As far as leakdown, most mechanics these days are too lazy to do it after a repair. They will offer to do it to sell you a repair though and charge you for it!
I got the front and rear stand. Thanks for the tip..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nothing but bad news guys... I want to cry. Bike started fine. But a noticed a lil knocking sound from engine. So turn it off. Then i noticed dents all over the tank. They dropped the gas tank and did a 1/2 a$$ job. Im tacking tomorrow iff just to go choke his a$$. I called the owner and he didnt know my vike was ready. The tech rushed his a$$ fixing it.....
I think it would have been a better idea to talk to hawn in the first place... Just sayin... *Shrug*
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 AM
not a
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
I think it would have been a better idea to talk to hawn in the first place... Just sayin... *Shrug*
i agree. but he is 1 hour away ( he did offer coming but In the apartment complex where I live we are not allowed to do mechanic they are very strict about that, some fool burnt his car and the apt next to his garage working on car) and I dont have a pick up or the time to take it to him we where busy at work.. I was working 12 hour shifts.. I regretted it big time. My brother in law offered to get it fixed for me. I just sold him my 71 camaro so he still owed me some cash. Thas the only reason why I accepted.... Again he told me not to worry. Tha his going to take it and get it all fixed. He knows the owner but not the guy that worked on it.. I migth be looking to buy another hawk at this point. thanks and sorry for all the drama....

Last edited by jonjonsocal; 04-20-2013 at 08:49 AM.