General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Do the two top-left Hoses on the Carbs Connect to Something?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
Do the two top-left Hoses on the Carbs Connect to Something?

Do the two top-left hoses on the carbs connect to something?

The two hoses in question look like standard-size vacuum lines and connect to a rotating socket at the top-left corner of each carb, respectively. They run from this socket for about five inches toward the center of the two cylinders and then pass through holes on each side of the center carb bracket (they feed through the bracket near dead center, between the two carbs and just dangle in the air, criss-crossing--and currently connecting to nothing). They seem to be either breather lines or orphans of the PAIR-ectomy that was performed before I got the bike. (I'd include a JPEG photo, but I have no photo-bucket account accessible on this computer.)

If the lines indeed do not connect to anything, what function do they have?

The reason that I ask is that, a few days back, my bike backfired loudly, and now it seems to be running on only one cylinder (sounds like a freaking lawn mower, idles at 700 rpm, and stalls at idle).
__________________________________________________ _

I've completed a basic check on the ignition system--less the ICU and Convertor Box, which the Haynes Manual claims can't be checked without a special Honda test fixture . Everything seems to be OK: The throttle position sensor = 500 ohms/4.26K ohms at full throttle; throttle position sensor voltage = 5.o volts; ignition pulse coil is ten ohms high [650 ohms], but that's probably no big deal; the primary ignition coil resistance is 0.5 ohms for both front and rear coils, and the secondary ignition coil resistance is 18.3 K ohms for both front and rear coils; the spark plug caps are within spec as well.

The spark plugs will be inspected and replaced today, since they have 30,000 miles on them anyway--poverty sucks.

I'm just checking all of the vacuum and intake lines around the carbs, since the rear carb air intake line (from the breather box) was blown out of its socket by the backfire. It might turn out to be a simple fix, if these two hoses actually connect to something. If not, I'll keep digging until I either find the problem or win the Power Ball. lol

Thanks for your help.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The 2 hoses you are talking about are the float bowl vent lines. They are supposed to be open like yours.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The 2 hoses you are talking about are the float bowl vent lines. They are supposed to be open like yours.
OK.

Thanks. That explains why they criss-cross so neatly. lol

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
In case you missed it, if you have an older model VTR, it's good to un-thread those hoses and point them downwards as they can flood under heavy breaking...