Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I am new to forum and have a few issues

Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Squid

frankym is on a distinguished road
I am new to forum and have a few issues

I just purchased my first hawk, a 2005 with 3,500 miles. I live in Connecticut. I have 2 problems that i could use some help with. First, the engine stubles between 2,000 and 2,800 RPMs and it makes a sound and the rpms quickly drop a few hundred revolutions. I took it to dealer for a tune up and they told me that it was dropping a cylinder and it was a fuel issue, likely dirty jets. So for about $600 they rebuilt the carbs and rejetted. I got it back and they said it's all fixed. The bike still has the exact problem and they said that's just the way it is. Also, they suggested i change all the fluids, including hydraulic and coolant. Now i'm noticing in 35 degree outside temp, the bike at idle standing still, the temp guage climbs to about 215 degrees after about 3 minutes and then the fan comes on. Honda also told me this is normal. Again, i'm talking about cold outside air temp.

Any ideas on the engine stumbling, the water temp in winter, and is there a good honda mechanic in norwalk / fairfield conecticut? I really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Carb 'fart' is perfectly normal - $600 *eeek!*
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Squid

Monster Hawk is on a distinguished road
I too just bought my first hawk a few weeks ago and live in Bethel CT. I actually just moved from Norwalk. Small world. Anyway, I myself also had to clean out my carbs. My hawk is a 98 with 23K miles. It was sitting for a while and carbs were all clogged up. I did it myself. It was fun and I learned alot.

For your stumbling problem - it may be related to fouled plugs. Have you changed your sparkplugs or taken a look at them? That might help.

If you need a hand let me know - Im not far and wouldnt mind getting to know a local shawk owner....
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome from another '05 owner, they are rare.

That quick of a warmup sounds odd. Even at 80 degrees air temp mine won't hit 200 in 3 minutes when started cold. It could be running lean. But riding in slow traffic, mine will constantly be hitting over 215 in temps as low as high 50's. Change those fluids: coolant, brakes and clutch. Should be done every 2 years.

Does it have aftermarket exhaust, and is the air filter stock? Aftermarket air filters, like K&N will lean out the fuel mix quite a bit. Stock is best for the air filter, unless you're going racing.

Also, to properly clean the carbs takes time and attention to detail. The jets in the front and rear carbs are not the same size and could get mixed up. With only 3500 miles it's spent a lot of time sitting and gumming up the carbs (mine has 47,500 miles). If they rejetted, what size jets did they install?

There's tons of info on the Forum relating to carbs and jetting. 8541hawk put up a thread not long ago titled "Carb set-up". It's in the "Technical Discussion" section of the Forum.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.