Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Hypothetical CCT Install Question

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Hypothetical CCT Install Question

Just throwing this one out there...

If I was to trick my engine into thinking that tension was still being applied via alternate means (cable ties, cat gut, sky hooks, etc.); would I be able to simply swap out the stockers for APE units if the same tension was applied?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
no, because you need to measure the deflection when you install the APE CCT's
Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
not only that,,, if you are going to all the trouble to take the valve cover off to jerry-rig something like that, you can just align the sams at the proper position. safer, simpler and takes the guess work out of it.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
If your valve clearances are all within spec and there is no need to remove the cams, then the way I visualize it you would not need to have the timing marks on TDC at all, just have the heels of the cams against the followers and not touching them - like when you stick your feeler guage in to measure the clearances - in order to remove the CCT without anything moving. Remove both spark plugs and cam covers, and if you want you can put a zip tie around the each sprocket and the cam chain when you remove the tensioner - just to be safe - and do one cylinder at a time, removing only the CCT for the cylinder that both valves are closed on. If you remember to rotate the engine forward, so that the "front" part of the chain is in tension, your manual CCT should bolt right up and the slack would be located where the tensioner is and you could adjust it as per the instructions. Rotate the engine a few times to make sure you've got it set right and repeat for the second cylinder.

Warning: I've been into alot of inline fours, but never one of these - I am waiting for my scheduled valve adjustment to take it apart and plan on doing it then. In my experience, engine work should not be rushed and to attempt to change the CCT's without removing the covers or even the spark plugs, like some have suggested here, is asking for trouble. You don't have to read the whole book, but I've found the parts about Zen and motorcycle maintence to be quite quite helpful.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Squid

Shortlived99 is on a distinguished road
Wow. On my F3 I just took the stock one out and put the new one in. Just tightened it until it sounded right. So much easier.