Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How to remove weights from inside helibars? (Throttlemeister install)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
How to remove weights from inside helibars? (Throttlemeister install)

I have helibars on my hawk, and I need to pull the weight out of the helibar on one side. (Not the bar end, that's easy.) This is a piece inside the bar that the bar end threads onto.

Throttlemeister gives a little tool and a bolt to use to tighten down and pull the weight out, but it's not budging. I'd try a slide hammer if I could figure out how to attach it to the threads on the weight.

Has anyone on here done this? Is that weight held in with anything besides friction?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I have helibars on my hawk, and I need to pull the weight out of the helibar on one side. (Not the bar end, that's easy.) This is a piece inside the bar that the bar end threads onto.

Throttlemeister gives a little tool and a bolt to use to tighten down and pull the weight out, but it's not budging. I'd try a slide hammer if I could figure out how to attach it to the threads on the weight.

Has anyone on here done this? Is that weight held in with anything besides friction?
Well if there like the stock clip ons if you look real close there are 2 tabs that lock the weight into the end of the bar you need to press the clips together and use the screw to pull the bar weights out hope this helps .....
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
SuperSport

The bar looks like a tube, and the weight is recessed down inside of it, I don't see any sort of locking tabs or clips.

...at least not without removing the throttle from the bar. Is that necessary?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Pull your grip from the other side (the left one first) and see if there is any indentations or markings under the grip.... im gonna go reserching ....brb
Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
SuperSport

Ok, so they say these bar weights are welded in, and they sent me the wrong kit.

Arrgh!

I knew the guy on the phone wasn't paying attention... I even repeated the order twice.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
I had a hard time with those also, they finally sent me an instruction sheet
I found it best to fill the tube with alcohol and then locate the holes to push the internal weights out-here are their instructions

Removing Damper Units from Stock Handlebar(s)We recommend that you use some rubbing alcohol to help release the rubber bushings from the inside of the tube. Run some alcohol into the control locking pinhole and into the bar end, and distribute in all directions.Carefully place the bar in a vise with soft jaws and a rag. Reinstall the damper weight and tighten, making sure the ridge on the weight is properly engaged with the corresponding ridge on the damper unit. Hold onto the weight with one hand. While pulling out and twisting, depress the two retaining tabs on either side one at a time until they move past their locating holes. Continue pulling and twisting until the damper comes out (Note: there is an "o" ring on the inner end of the damper shaft that can be rubbed off inside the tube when pulling). Just shake it out. Repeat this procedure for the other side.Clean the damper rubbers and shafts, and reinstall into the Heli Bars. Use a bit of rubbing alcohol as a lubricant to ease installation. With the damper weight still attached, carefully start the first rubber bushing into the bar. Push and twist until the set of two bushings is ready to go in. Align the tabs on the retainer ring with the locating holes in the Heli Bar. Continue pushing in, making sure that the outer edge of the last bushing enters the tube evenly. Press in until the tabs enter the two holes. If necessary, pull back out a bit until the tabs are against the rear edges of the holes. CAUTION: If the right-hand unit is installed too deeply, the damper weight will interfere with throttle operation. The threaded end of the damper unit will be about flush with the tube end, but the ridge that engages the weight will protrude. Once each unit is installed, remove the damper weight.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
I have the heli-bars and I don't think the weight is welded in

there should be 2small holes on the bar, you will need to remove the throttle assembly to access these cleanly
look @ the doc I sent it shows a pic of the inside weight not the bar
Attached Files
File Type: doc
photo damper assembly.doc (74.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
SuperSport

The helibar design changed at some point around 2004, so yours may be the newer ones.