Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

CustomLED 3rd eye install (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
CustomLED 3rd eye install (pics inside)

I have been reading threads about what to do with the 3rd eye, and in several are recommendations for LED's as a replacement. Although, in all the threads i have viewed (may have missed some) i havent seen any pics installed on a hawk to show the difference. So..... i ordered a pair and stuck them in. for 10 seconds of labor, and 14 bucks (price per pair + shipping) i think it was worth it. I HATED that nasty yellow looking 3rd eye.

The bulb is a 194, and the link i used is this one....

http://www.customled.com/products/le.../led_bulbs.htm

The pics were taken with a crappy iPhone, so im sorry for the lack of quality.

Stock: (aka: NASTY)

Name:  Stock-1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  43.4 KB

CustomLED installed.. close up:

Name:  led1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  48.0 KB

CustomLED installed, from a few feet away

Name:  led2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  24.5 KB

Last edited by Mike996; 11-24-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Listed wrong company for bulb sourcing
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Squid

netav8tor is on a distinguished road
what version did you think worked best from your link?

What color white did you get it looks a little blue in the pics. I have thought of getting a brighter light for the 3rd eye. What white color looks closest to the headlamp color in your opinion?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Mines the exact same color. After putting in my hid it just looked extremely yellow. So I did the ssme thing. Led penut bulb. Same color as yours. Matches my 6000k hid very close. Looks good
Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Why do you need two and what part number did order?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
Why do you need two and what part number did order?

They are sold per pair and not in single units. These are the details of the ones i got:

Name:  bulb.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  52.3 KB

Net,
This is definately a clear bulb, but it gives off a blueish tint. It is MUCH more blue than my H4 headlight bulb. Im not sure which one would match the headlight.

Last edited by Mike996; 11-24-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in the WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb
12 VDC Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)
With 1 High Power LED
Polarized bulb,

Think it'll fit the Hawk?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I presume you have the white 194 eq U installed; i.e. WLED-W4?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/WLED-x4.htm

Does anyone know if these will work in our speedos, tachos, etc? Which are special lower wattage 12v-1.7w (1.4w after 1998 except for the sidestand indicator light) 194 bulbs (which are normally 12v-5w and the heat may be too much in the VTR instruments). The WLED-W4 are .433" in diameter versus the standard 194 (and Honda PN 34909-KW3-003*) at .387" in diameter; but will they fit into the holes in the back of the instruments? The WLED-W4 is 1.014" long and the OEM* Honda 1.7w is .987" long.

The 74-x (see below) is .736" long so its too short (diameter not given); and the 74-xHP is even shorter and .22 in diameter (so it would fit in the hole).

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74-x.html

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74-xHP.html

My question for those of you with a WLED-W4 (for your "3rd eye"), can you check and report back if it will fit into the instruments? If so, its extra length may be OK though it may actually be too bright; so the red WLED-R4 could be about perfect! Note: Only the WLED-W4 and WLED-R4 are non-polarized like the OE* bulbs.

Last edited by skokievtr; 11-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Squid

txsuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Looks good, I've been wanting to do the same. Thanks for the links!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
SuperBike

Mike998 DID NOT get the "Superbriteleds.com" bulbs I referenced (and he initially gave a link to).

Instead, it appears he got these

The Customled bulbs should work either in the 3rd eye & instruments but no specs are provided in regard to size, draw, lumins, CCT or beam, AND they are more expensive than the Superbrites.

Does anyone have a Superbrite WLED-x4 to try to fit in the instruments?

Mike996: Can you try your Customled T3-1/4 in the instruments & report?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Mike998 DID NOT get the "Superbriteleds.com" bulbs I referenced (and he initially gave a link to).

Instead, it appears he got these

The Customled bulbs should work either in the 3rd eye & instruments but no specs are provided in regard to size, draw, lumins, CCT or beam, AND they are more expensive than the Superbrites.

Does anyone have a Superbrite WLED-x4 to try to fit in the instruments?

Mike996: Can you try your Customled T3-1/4 in the instruments & report?
ya know what... You're right. Somehow I started off on a link to superbright LEDs website, and somehow (alcohol was probably a factor) I ordered them from someone completely different. I'm sitting here looking at the custom led box the stuff came in wondering how the f**k I did all that without realizing it at some point. Wow.

I'll go back and edit the thread tomorrow with the correct info. (no wonder I couldn't find the direct link to those f***in bulbs.)

Oh, and I haven't looked at the cluster bulbs yet, if I get a chance, I'll see if the spare will fit in the cluster.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Mike996
ya know what... You're right. Somehow I started off on a link to superbright LEDs website, and somehow (alcohol was probably a factor) I ordered them from someone completely different. I'm sitting here looking at the custom led box the stuff came in wondering how the f**k I did all that without realizing it at some point. Wow.

I'll go back and edit the thread tomorrow with the correct info. (no wonder I couldn't find the direct link to those f***in bulbs.)

Oh, and I haven't looked at the cluster bulbs yet, if I get a chance, I'll see if the spare will fit in the cluster.
It appears it will fit in the guages but check its comparative brightness (in the dark) to the OE bulb. It may be too bright (or not) but should run cool enough even if it is too bright; i.e., the red led may be the ticket for instruments.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
OK I just figured out my @$$ from a hole in the ground so I am still overwhelmed with that knowledge but from what I am reading, are you saying that I can brighten up my guage cluster just by buying new bulbs? The only reason I ask is I have gone to do that b4 with some custom guages on other bikes and the lights are sealed within. So, I never even checked my Hawk.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by AdamK
OK I just figured out my @$$ from a hole in the ground so I am still overwhelmed with that knowledge but from what I am reading, are you saying that I can brighten up my guage cluster just by buying new bulbs? The only reason I ask is I have gone to do that b4 with some custom guages on other bikes and the lights are sealed within. So, I never even checked my Hawk.
Yep, brighter gauges, lower amperage draw (with only 280 watts available or 21.5 amps at 13V, that only leaves about 8.5 amps available for accessories because OE lights & ignition eat up over 13 amps at less than 4200 rpm), so every little bit back helps, plus longer bulb life. The special OE bulbs cost more than the LEDs!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Superstock

Well.. i just spent an hour confusing myself. I took apart my gauge cluster to realize that since i have a 2001 hawk im guessing my bulbs are different from the older models. The bulbs in mine are about HALF the size of a 194. They look more like the tiny instrument cluster bulbs that i had to replace in my eclipse.

BUT....

I wasnt happy so i took my wifes gauge cluster apart on her 2005 GS500, and guess what... hers takes 194's.

so....

I had some extra standard NON-LED 194 bulbs laying around so i tried them out. The picture im posting is of a standard 194 bulb. Where i circled with yellow in the center is the green and blue things im about to discuss.

Name:  194bulb.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  9.4 KB

On bulb 1, standard 194, it had a green center thingie that i marked in yellow. it was very low watt, and looked more yellow than white.

On bulb 2, standard 194, it had a blue center thingie that i marked in yellow. It was MUCH brighter.

Finally, i put the LED 194 in to compare to the bright standard 194

Standard bulb with blue thingie on the left, LED bulb on the right.

Name:  LED.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  57.1 KB

I know this is confusing, but ive had a few whiskey drinks tonight, and its the best i can do at the moment. I brought my wife into the garage and showed her the difference. She likes the standard 194 look better. Im more of a fan of the LED 194 myself. to each his or her own.

Last edited by Mike996; 11-24-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Mike996
Well.. i just spent an hour confusing myself. I took apart my gauge cluster to realize that since i have a 2001 hawk im guessing my bulbs are different from the older models. The bulbs in mine are about HALF the size of a 194. They look more like the tiny instrument cluster bulbs that i had to replace in my eclipse.

BUT....

I wasnt happy so i took my wifes gauge cluster apart on her 2005 GS500, and guess what... hers takes 194's.

so....

I had some extra standard NON-LED 194 bulbs laying around so i tried them out. The picture im posting is of a standard 194 bulb. Where i circled with yellow in the center is the green and blue things im about to discuss.

On bulb 1, standard 194, it had a green center thingie that i marked in yellow. it was very low watt, and looked more yellow than white.

On bulb 2, standard 194, it had a blue center thingie that i marked in yellow. It was MUCH brighter.

Finally, i put the LED 194 in to compare to the bright standard 194

Standard bulb with blue thingie on the left, LED bulb on the right.

I know this is confusing, but ive had a few whiskey drinks tonight, and its the best i can do at the moment. I brought my wife into the garage and showed her the difference. She likes the standard 194 look better. Im more of a fan of the LED 194 myself. to each his or her own.
A standard 194 is 5 watts (versus Honda OE at 1.7 watts), which runs too hot for our (or the Suzi GS) gauges; don't use one. The dimmer 194 maybe is a low-watt 194 like the Honda OE. Personally I like the LED better too. I will verify the 1998 Honda OE is in fact a 194 low-watt but I'm almost certain it is. The manual says after 98 it was dropped to 1.4 watts but does not say they went to a smaller size bulb; i.e., smaller than a 194 (like earlier Hondas like the Hawk NT 650 had). So your 2001 needs a smaller bulb (what type?) but you tried the 194 LED eq in the Suzi GS and it did fit and illuminate adequately, so it should also fit the 98 VTR.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
So for my 98 SH I am still going to have to pull the cluster out anyway to even get at the bulb right?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by AdamK
So for my 98 SH I am still going to have to pull the cluster out anyway to even get at the bulb right?

If its anything like my 01 hawk you will. I had to take 3 bolts out, then remove the electric connector from the back and it was out in no time. I took 5 outside screws out on the backside to remove the bezel, then flippied it over and took the 2 screws out on the speedo and lifted the speedo face up to look at the bulb. i didnt take the needle off as i was not sure how it came off and didnt want to break it.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
SuperBike

On a 98, I believe you just have to remove 2 bolts, unplug the harness If at all), lift the assembly up a bit, and pull out the rubber bulb plugs to replace a bulb. 10 minutes tops. use a little silicone spray on the rubber bulb plugs so they pop back in easier but keep it off the bulbs.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
A standard 194 is 5 watts (versus Honda OE at 1.7 watts), which runs too hot for our (or the Suzi GS) gauges; don't use one.
Hmm, one of my bulbs went out (I think it was the neutral) and if I recall correctly I put in a 5w one, and it has been working just fine for over 2 years that way.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
Hmm, one of my bulbs went out (I think it was the neutral) and if I recall correctly I put in a 5w one, and it has been working just fine for over 2 years that way.
If you've been following, the object is to decrease amp draw, improve readability and bulb life. LEDs do all.