Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How the hell did I split the nut behind the choke??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Squid

clintyd is on a distinguished road
How the hell did I split the nut behind the choke??

So I pulled my choke out this morning and noticed my rpms didn't raise like normal. After a little inspection I noticed the nut behind the choke was split and cracked. Please see the attached picture if your not sure what I mean. I have some questions about it and was hoping someone could help me out. Please?

Is this why my rpms are not raising and the choke isn't working properly?

Do I have to pull out the carbs to fix this?

Please tell me it is a simple fix? I am not very mechanically smart.

Could this cause more damage in any way?
I currently only have my bike and this is my only form of transportation and I def can't miss work so i'm hoping this is an easy fix or something I can deal with for a little while.

Thanks everybody for any info or help you could throw my way. I greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails How the hell did I split the nut behind the choke??-023.jpg  
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
So is the choke just closing on it's own or does nothing happen when it is all the way out?

The only real fix is to replace the choke cables (though there might be some way to fab something up to work)

If it does work when it is pulled out, then you could just hold it out for the 30 sec or so that it is needed and then ride off if you can't or don't have the time to fix it right now.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Squid

clintyd is on a distinguished road
It does work but it only raises my rpms to like 1.8 when it idles normally at like 1.2 or so. Used to raise my rpms to like 2.8 or 3.

The choke does close on its own, always has since I've owned it. I usually hold it out by hand cause if I let go it will close....not all the way though.

The other weird thing is that when I went to leave work today I pulled it out all the way before I left to see if it would raise and the bike shut off. Guessing I flooded it, idk but it has never done that before.

Does replacing the choke cables require taking out the carbs? Or does it just require taking off the gas tank and airbox to see everything?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It requires the carbs to be removed.
Also the choke usually isn't needed if the bike has run pretty much anytime that day, at least that is how mine is.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried tightening the nut just behind the choke ****? That'll keep it from retracting on it's own. I'm sure there's a good photo on this forum of what I'm referring to... lemme find it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I believe that indy is on to something here, one nut (non hex) is for tension on the choke mechanism to hold it in place. One is to hold it to the chassis mount (hex, the cracked one).