Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

how in the f#%kin hell do you get the axle back in the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
How? I didn't unplug anything except the turn signal to take off the right fairing...****...at least I can access the pump without removing to clutch cover again, that was a bitche too, lol
ZEBRAS!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Pushrod! That's the kind of advice I'm looking for! Stay on topic guys! An marquez You didn't even offer advice...only criticism...so spare me lol
How about **** off.. Is that more helpful ?

You have been told you need to fix the issue you have, all you want is to continue ignoring the issue.. Guess what, nope I have no help for you to ignore the issue you found. Besides you seem to have that down pretty well.

So, if you want help FIXING the issue, , Im happy to help,, hell if you were to bring the bike over, I'd help you fix it for free.

If you want help doing some hack job, as you seem to, your on your own.

Oh and by the way,,, you may have gotten the axle in...but you FIXED nothing... you just worked around the issue you ignored. To each his own, if that works for you, go for it.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-04-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: potty mouth offended some, so I''ll play nice
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
How about **** off.. Is that more helpful ?

You have been told you need to fix the issue you have, all you want is to continue being fucked up.. Guess what, nope I have no help for you to be even more fucked up. Besides you seem to have that down pretty well.

So, if you want help FIXING the issue, , Im happy to help,, hell if you were to bring the bike over, I'd help you fix it for free.

If you want help doing some hack job, as you seem to, your on your own.

Now if I said this the mods would be all over me......
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

An like I said before, it was floating the whole time, before I disassembled It...no problems...an it has shoulders...so it can't go in any further than it is...
That is not how they are supposed to be but it is your life so do what you feel is right...... and the reason I say this is because the spacer is what keeps the inner race of the bearing in the proper position. If there is slop or play there, where you torque down the rear axle bolt you will push the inner race out of position and it can fail at any time, without warning..... so you have been warned but like I said, it is your life.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Wow...funny how some kids get all butt hurt over what somebody says...or doesn't say to another anonymous person on the internet lol get a life, pal!
Anyway, to those that have decent suggestions, I got it done last night! Used a dowel rod from home despot...worked lika charm!
As for my coolant/overheating issue, I talked to this old Harley guy an he brought up air bubbles in hoses..think that may be the culprit.
Either way thanks for all the help!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Superstock

Wow...funny how some kids get all butt hurt over what somebody says...or doesn't say to another anonymous person on the internet lol get a life, pal!
Anyway, to those that had decent suggestions, I got it done last night! Used a dowel rod from home despot...worked lika charm!
As for my coolant/overheating issue, I talked to this old guy an he brought up air bubbles in hoses..think that may be the culprit. I'll figure it out in time, weather's crappy now anyway lol
Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I talked to this old guy an he brought up air bubbles in hoses..think that may be the culprit.!
Now we're talking horses. That's more like it...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Hate to say it Banditman400, but I've been in the same position you are with the superhawk. Looks like the PO must have ground off a small amount of the spacer, as mine was short as well. And yes, I could get it back together, but I'll tell you, it'll keep eating the rear bearings, particularly, the right hand side one, where there isn't a second bearing from the sprocket hub helping the load. So, you may well want to take it back apart and shim it with a thin washer, or buck up and buy a new spacer. Otherwise you are dooming yourself to repeating the rear bearing replacement REPEATEDLY.
-R
Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Superstock

Hmmm...yeah? Son of a bitch...but TBK they weren't really messed up...just the left side a little rough so I figured do 30 bucks it'd be wise to just do it while the wheel was off. But in light of that...yeah, **** lol.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Superstock

Shoot I meant the brake side...that the same side you spoke of?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Shoot I meant the brake side...that the same side you spoke of?
Yup. Right side. It'll keep happening.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Chiming in here, I use my rear stand. In your superhawk took kit, there's the axle wrench's with both the rear axle nut sizes, and a handle the same diameter as the rear axle. I take one of those and insert it into the brake side of the swingarm to hold the wheel on while I gently wiggle the axle in from the drive side. I like to stick a piece of wood under the tire to help out a bit also. My 2c.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Superstock

Letsride, so your saying your inner tube thing floats too? Cause I'm still up in the air as to if its normal, or something's wrong...cause the wheel has bearing shoulders on it...so technically, the bearings can only be seated as far as the shoulder allows...like another member said, maybe another person filed the tube down...but for what gain? Seems plausible...but why?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that the spacer keeps the bearing inner race from being pushed towards the center where it can't properly carry the load while rotating because of side loading and increased wear.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Superstock

But its not like the inner an outter would separate? Right? I mean its sealed, right? Never thought this thread would provoke this much interest Lmfao! Good **** tho! I love this forum!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
I believe that the spacer keeps the bearing inner race from being pushed towards the center where it can't properly carry the load while rotating because of side loading and increased wear.
That is what it is for as I explained in post #36
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Superstock

Just talked to my buddy...he described a situation similar to what wylderyce described...an uneven load created by two bearings on drive side, an only one on brake side...intriguing, indeed. Hmmm...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Superstock

Yeah I'm thinking it may be simply wear....not filed down or otherwise modified...cause I'm only talkin bout its crooked lika...16th inch or less...just enough to catch the axle upon insertion...was marquez right? Holy bat ****, batman! Lmfao! Man this some good info...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

But its not like the inner an outter would separate? Right? I mean its sealed, right? Never thought this thread would provoke this much interest Lmfao! Good **** tho! I love this forum!
Sealed just means there is a seal to keep the dirt and water out, not seal the 2 races together. With a side load, which the bearing is not designed to handle, the bearing could fail, wear out rapidly or just explode at any time.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Superstock

Yeah its all making sense now, 8541hawk...looka lika I needa to wrench some more! Lol but hell, what else would I do with all this free time an shitty weather?! Thanks for the help folks (You too, marquz)...looks like I'm on the hook for an 'inner spacer'? Or in search of a suitable washer...
Old 05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Letsride, so your saying your inner tube thing floats too? Cause I'm still up in the air as to if its normal, or something's wrong...cause the wheel has bearing shoulders on it...so technically, the bearings can only be seated as far as the shoulder allows...like another member said, maybe another person filed the tube down...but for what gain? Seems plausible...but why?
RACES:
The surfaces on the cup and cone where the rolling elements make contact.

CUP:
The bearing's outer ring that sits on the housing and remains stationary during rotation.

CONE:
The bearing's inner ring that is fixed to and/or pressed onto a rotating shaft.

The hub shoulder only locates the bearing cup, that spacer is there to locate the bearing cone (the cone is the smaller center "inner race") Without a properly sized center tube, when you tighten the axle you will place side load on the bearings there were not designed for, and you will destroy a bearing in short order.

The center tube is damaged ("shortened") when a dry or otherwise failed bearing on one side rotates against the tube, or the tube is dropped, or bearings are at one time installed incorrectly (not deep enough and against the shoulder) or someone actually shortens it on purpose.

The center tube is required, it needs to NOT BE FREE FLOATING, and if that issue is ignored, you will continue to have bearing issues.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Yea, mine floats alittle, it's squares up good as far as I can tell, Ive had the wheel off a hundred times plus and that thing has always slipped alittle, the axle nut lines it up when buttoning it all back together. My bearings have only been replaced by me once in 40k miles, probably time to replace them!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
i don't suppose it's likely the inner spacer got squashed when someone overtorqued the axle bolt??
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
i don't suppose it's likely the inner spacer got squashed when someone overtorqued the axle bolt??
Very possible, more so if the axle was over TQ'ed when old, worn or cheap bearings having lost of lateral run out were in place. The more the Cone (inner race) can be compressed in, the more the center tube can be distorted. Then next time even with new, quality bearings, the center tube has been effectively shortened and no longer supports the bearing as designed.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Superstock

Alright! Update with pics coming soon!! (finally got real internet on a PC lol) Wasn't ANY of that, NONE of the above...I read the manual up and down, looking for a factory spec on the 'distance bearing' length (you know, to check if its good ala runout on the axle)...nothing...so that lead me to believe it must be something else entirely...
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Superstock

A little backstory:
First took the wheel off...figured shoot, I don't wanna f**k something up trying to pound these out. So I found an MC shop down the street. They pounded the first two bearings out easily. The large one, in the drive gear asmy or w/e, he couldn't get out...just tried to whack the collar with a hammer and socket extension. I watched him, cringing, but figured, hey: he knows what he's doing, right? LOL so I get it all back together, an install the bearings myself. This is what I found after I thought outside the box:
Name:  IMAG0693.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  48.9 KB

See that defamation? THATS what was pinching the f**king axle!!!! Here's another, showing the axle being caught:

Name:  IMAG0694.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  50.7 KB

See the shoulder of the axle thread getting caught??? Mother f**Ker...
So there I have it. Problem solved!! And as for the fan issue..it was a faulty thermo switch...got it on order from Ron in NC LOL