Help Please. Oil usage and my Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

RocketBabe923 is on a distinguished road
Help Please. Oil usage and my Hawk

Hi there,

So I noticed lately that my Hawk seems to be using a lot of oil.

How much you ask? Well ... (adjusts her skirt) I'm not sure, but there is no white smoke and I ride it every day, min of 60 miles, and I seem to have to put more oil in about every other week.

Is this bad?

Should I be looking for something in particular?

Keep better track of how much oil?

RTFM?

Thanks for any tips or info! And have a great holiday!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Squid

JOHNNYP is on a distinguished road
Oil

Are you checking it while it is on a rearstand? I try to hold it up my self and check it and get a different level every time, mine' got 29k miles and doesn't really burn a drop in between changes. There are people here that can lead you in the right direction if it really is burning oil, cheers!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 PM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

Originally Posted by JOHNNYP
Are you checking it while it is on a rearstand? I try to hold it up my self and check it and get a different level every time, mine' got 29k miles and doesn't really burn a drop in between changes. There are people here that can lead you in the right direction if it really is burning oil, cheers!
So what I have to do is get on it, and lean it so it is straight and then find someone to check it for me... I can't see the little oil thing while I'm on it. And I can't get it on the rear stand without help.

ya... is a girl thing Guess I need to work out more! lol

Thank you for the input! But I'm a little worried now.. must be burning or loosing some ... somewhere.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Use a mirror.
Yeah, simple but it took me a while to figure that one out too. My old bikes either had a center stand or a dipstick.
Mine needs a top-off every 1000 miles or so too. I don't worry about it.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine burned a little oil too. Maybe 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles.
The cylinders are unsupported at the top and tend to go slightly out of round. coupled with that the rings are very light.

From what I've heard, some oil consumption is normal.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Stand on the right side of your bike and squat down. Pull the bike by the handle grip off the kick stand and over until it feels neutral (not falling to the left or right). While squating down and the bike is level, you can see your oil level. You should be in between the two high and low oil level indicators.

I just changed mine today to 15w50 Mobil 1 synth. Man does it feel smoother now than before!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Mine burned a little oil too. Maybe 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles.
The cylinders are unsupported at the top and tend to go slightly out of round. coupled with that the rings are very light.

From what I've heard, some oil consumption is normal.
I have about 55,000 miles on my 98 VTR and had it since it was born. After about 5,000 miles of wear-in (notice I didn't say "Break-in"), I went to Mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50 almost exclusively except in cold weather (below 45 degrees F), when I use 10W-40 Shell Rotella-T synthetic. I have not banged on it that hard but also not babied it (in my youth I was known to hammer). Anyway, since the last couple oil changes (every 4,000 miles) and using the Purolator Pure One PL14610 or PL14620 oil filters, I've been seeing about 8~10 ounces low in a 1,000 miles. No smoke or overheating, so I'm not concerned but I'll be monitoring closely. BMW, for example states that 1-qt is acceptable in 1,000 miles!

One thing you should check if there is an appreciable amount of oil in the air box, which if you over fill (or not) happens due to sustained high revs from the rear cylinder's crank case breather port.

Last edited by skokievtr; 07-02-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by haknslash
Stand on the right side of your bike and squat down. Pull the bike by the handle grip off the kick stand and over until it feels neutral (not falling to the left or right). While squating down and the bike is level, you can see your oil level. You should be in between the two high and low oil level indicators.

I just changed mine today to 15w50 Mobil 1 synth. Man does it feel smoother now than before!
+1... but throw the transmission into first gear to keep the bike from possibly rolling while you are bent over.... ummmmm.....
Old 07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
+1... but throw the transmission into first gear to keep the bike from possibly rolling while you are bent over.... ummmmm.....
+1 on the oil level check technique but I'm spoiled since I've had a Handy lift since 95', which makes it real easy (as I don't squat for nothing in my old age! http://www.handyindustries.com/
Old 07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Ensure your breather tubes are properly connected to the bottom of the airbox. One that is loose will allow oil vapor to escape, which surprisingly adds up after a couple hundred miles. BTDT.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
SuperBike

I had one of the ones with cylinders that weren't round. I don't know if it was overheated b4 I bought it, or something inherent in the block. But my rear cylinder was out by about .004". Sounds like a lot and it is, but it is a 98 mm bore. Not something you'd want to see on your i4 600.

I was bummed when I meausred it, but was advised to run it. It was fine except for a little oil consumption. Compression numbers were very good.

the RC51 engine I built (and am buying) has very round cyinders, within .002" and it burns almost no oil.

I think it's just one of those things. Keep it full of oil and ride the **** out of it!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Ensure your breather tubes are properly connected to the bottom of the airbox. One that is loose will allow oil vapor to escape, which surprisingly adds up after a couple hundred miles. BTDT.
How much oil makes into the carbs, stays in the box and runs back down to the valves? Inducted oil vapor lubes the carbs and cools the intake valves but adds to carbon build-up and lowers the charge "octane".

I had one of the ones with cylinders that weren't round. I don't know if it was overheated b4 I bought it, or something inherent in the block. But my rear cylinder was out by about .004". Sounds like a lot and it is, but it is a 98 mm bore. Not something you'd want to see on your i4 600.

I was bummed when I meausred it, but was advised to run it. It was fine except for a little oil consumption. Compression numbers were very good.

the RC51 engine I built (and am buying) has very round cyinders, within .002" and it burns almost no oil.

I think it's just one of those things. Keep it full of oil and ride the **** out of it!
++1 ask long as oil is cheaper than a rebuild!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Squid

Bill Zebub is on a distinguished road
As long as i can remember my hawk has "lost" a bit of oil - I have to top up about once every month or two, thats around 2k miles of commuting and its maybe 1/4 qt not a lot. My BMW RT did burn a lot of oil - definately close to 1 qt in 1000 to 1500 miles.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
When I first got my SH I thought it was using a little oil between changes, but since I went to M1 15W-50 it stopped...Ironic isn't it...I was using the finest high dollar motorcycle specific oils and was loosing it, but once I switched to the M1 for $23/gal at Wally World it stopped disappearing

Good Luck Rocket!
RC
Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 AM
SuperBike

I always had a small amount of oil in the airbox. But only a trace.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

Thank you all!

Wow you all are so awesome! Thanks for all the great information!

I'll have to tie a mirror to my leg... lmao

And what is BTDT?????

So I need to check my mileage... great idea, I think it's pretty low, but I'm always on the trip one so I can keep track of my gas stops.

And the whole value thing and air box... whew. Will have to get the manual out since I'm only really familiar with the dirt bikes in that regard.

Thanks again everyone! Have a safe and KICKIN 4th!

(I just bought 2 jet skiis... so you never know I'll probably be on here asking questions on those! lol)
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
the guys may all hate me for this but I have 3 daughters... 1) put on a longer skirt. 2) squat down next to the bike, right side. 3) pull bike off stand toward you til level. 4) take a look. Your posts inspired me to check mine more often. A-ok. It's a Honda. I thought you got 200,000 miles out of it before you had to deal with this. Good news is (as you will know if you've read any of the oil threads) if you have to keep adding new, YOU NEVER HAVE TO DO AN OIL CHANGE!!! Not that you need to anyway. Nose oil highly recommended. Have a blast on the jetskis. Post some pics wet! Sorry, forgot I have 3 daughters.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Oh and BTW...B een T here D one T hat
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

Here's what I mean by unsopported cylinders.

It's not really a matter of wear. These were my stock bores, with no (negligible) ridge at the top. Ring end gaps were well within spec.

The unsupported cylinder has a tendency to go out of round.

NBD - BTDT
Old 07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
SuperBike

Here's what I mean by unsopported cylinders.

It's not really a matter of wear. These were my stock bores, with no (negligible) ridge at the top. Ring end gaps were well within spec.

The unsupported cylinder has a tendency to go out of round.

NBD - BTDT
Also referred to as a fully wet liner... nice pic nice thing is cuz we don't have a nikasil or more modern bore, we can cut a bit to round it out. Finding a plate to bolt it up to and load the cylinder while boring may be the hardest part. And ur still not guaranteed of it whowing again

Last edited by skokievtr; 07-03-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, by the time you get a torque plate, bore and hone, buy O/S pistons, etc. you're probably looking at $800-1000.

I say a little oil consumption is not something to get worked up about.