Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Conti Road & Sport Attack Usage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Conti Road & Sport Attack Usage

I believe someone else once asked this question but no one really had any real feedback, maybe by now someone has.

I need new rubber and after many sets of Dunlap, Bridgestone and Avon sport fronts and sport touring rears, I'm considering immediately (given out recent warm-up) the Conti Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear.

Anyone with usage of these tires?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Squid
Squid

caffeine-racer
Conti Road Attack

I've used a rear Road Attack and have started my second.
I'm impressed with how long it lasted and how well it stuck till 'end of life' (sides gone but tread left in center)
I got 4,000 miles from the rear tire and that's almost 20% more than I usually get. (75% canyon 25% freeway).
the road attack comes with deep tread.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caffeineracer/279527245/

I just mounted a front Road Attack and I'm happy with the traction, but I only have one canyon ride on the front.

I'll use this recently mounted front Road Attack till 'end of life' then decide if I need the Sport Attack.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2101795&size=o

~Jeffers
Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 PM
SuperBike

Contis Vs Avons

Originally Posted by caffeine-racer
I've used a rear Road Attack and have started my second.
I'm impressed with how long it lasted and how well it stuck till 'end of life' (sides gone but tread left in center)
I got 4,000 miles from the rear tire and that's almost 20% more than I usually get. (75% canyon 25% freeway).
the road attack comes with deep tread.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caffeineracer/279527245/

I just mounted a front Road Attack and I'm happy with the traction, but I only have one canyon ride on the front.

I'll use this recently mounted front Road Attack till 'end of life' then decide if I need the Sport Attack.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2101795&size=o

~Jeffers
Hey Jeffers its Bret, been a while, have'nt checked you pic site in a long time. Are those your bambinos? Congrats. For an old man you still got it, eh?

Anyway, I have not seen the Conti Road Attacks up close and personal but from your pics (An angle view with a gauge in the tread would have been better, not criticizing, just commenting for next time; at least you took pics. I measure with a standard Milton tire tread gauge when they are new) the new Conti Road Attack tread depth actually looks less than the a new Avon ST rears. I've used 2 sets of the Avon ST rears and got about 4~5,000 miles based on 70/30 straight-up/leaned over (the opposite of you). Really a pretty good tire, the center is squared off (see pics) but the shoulder is still a #7 on the Milton gauge. I've been using the Avon SP fronts, which while supposedly softer still outlast the ST rears 1.60/1 and still has maybe 1500+ miles left on it (see pic). I really don't absolutely need a new front now but will probably still get the Conti Sport Attack front and bench it until a little later in the season to save on shipping. I always kick myself for not doing so.

I found the Sport front for about $93 and Road rear for $114 with free shipping. You remember what and where you paid?

We have to ride close to 70 miles just to get into the twisties up in SE WI, which means we burn out the center tread faster than the edges. The slam on the Avons is that they square-off read badly. The Contis are not supposed do that as much.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Squid

sockeye is on a distinguished road
A little late for a responose but Maybe someone will get some use out of this. I have used the road attack exclusively since they became available. They wear very well and I get between 3,000 and 4,000 miles from the rear. One front tire will take me thru three back tires. They also will hold a curve very well and not slip unless I goose it in the middle of the curve. YeeHaw! They are also about the best on wet pavement also. I tend to keep off the interstates and the straights as much as possible. I am convinced they are about the best tires out there.
I don't think the sport attack will get nearly as many miles but they as supposed to really hold the road but not as good on the wet. The sport attack also cost a litle more.
I am a true believer in the road attack for what it's worth. Skotievtr pricing is the same price I've been paying.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:48 AM
SuperBike

SP wet performance and preicing

Originally Posted by sockeye
A little late for a responose but Maybe someone will get some use out of this. I have used the road attack exclusively since they became available. They wear very well and I get between 3,000 and 4,000 miles from the rear. One front tire will take me thru three back tires. They also will hold a curve very well and not slip unless I goose it in the middle of the curve. YeeHaw! They are also about the best on wet pavement also. I tend to keep off the interstates and the straights as much as possible. I am convinced they are about the best tires out there.
I don't think the sport attack will get nearly as many miles but they as supposed to really hold the road but not as good on the wet. The sport attack also cost a litle more.
I am a true believer in the road attack for what it's worth. Skotievtr pricing is the same price I've been paying.
The Sport may be down a CH in the wet but its pricing is actually a bit less than the Road's.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I have the Conti road attacks, and they are great. I went from the d208's that were worn bad and I have been really happy. My buddy has an sv650s, and has worn through lots of tires. Most take about 3500mi for the rear. I have 4000 on the rear and it is about half tread. I like them enough that my bud with an R6 is getting them for his bike. they heat up well, provide excellent traction, and wear well. good example: in the wet with the 208's I could light the tire up. The conti won't slip.

Bill
2000 SH
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Squid

redlinetech is on a distinguished road
I just got a set of Michlein Pilot Roads I will let you guys know how I like them.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

I just received the Conti Sport Attack front and Road Attack rear (bake dates 4006 = 9-25`29-06) for $209 delivered.

I may not get out to my friends shop (Safety First Racing / 4 & 6) for a week (or who knows) to mount & balance them; then only G-d knows when the weather and my time will allow proper wear-in and opinions to be drawn.

I was getting pretty good milage out of the Avon SP/ST combo (which have now been supplanted with new "models") but wanted to try something new and the Conti Attacks have gotten good reviews.