Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Headlight adjustment options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

jeremyabbott is on a distinguished road
Headlight adjustment options?

So, I just put in a new R/R which took care of my battery charging issues, 1/2 power headlights, dim dash issues, blown fuses and I think it is even running a bit better now. I took it out the other night to test the headlight and found that on low it was OK, not super bright but OK and the distance from the bike where the light ended was OK. When on high though, it is not very bright directly in front and was really bright down the road like 7-10 above the road. If I am approaching a hill it is great, otherwise it is pretty useless. If I adjust the light down for the high I am concerned I will lose too much distance on the low setting.

Any hints? Is this normal for the Hawk?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
As far as I'm aware of, your SOL. I chose one, and it was the high beam. Stays on all the time, day or night. F@#k cagers
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Check out a headlight relay kit at www.easternbeaver.com. It's a modification that's been discussed quite a bit.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

Bummer about being out of luck with the adjustment. I was kinda thinking that was going to be the issue. As far as the relay kit I was looking at that but could not figure out which kit I needed for the Hawk. If you know please post! Thank you.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
This is the cats meow. Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This is the one you need Motorcycle H4 Relay Kits, cheap Worldwide Shipping

I have this on my bike and it is WAY brighter. As for aiming just find a happy medium between the two but for me after 250k NYC miles I ONLY ride with the high beam on. They get 2 seconds of glare but you get to stay alive. Fair cosmic trade in my universe.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been fairly happy with the Sylvania Silverstar bulb in 2 bikes now. It is a good improvement over a standard H4. The relay upgrade has caught my interest though and remains on the wish list.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I ONLY ride with the high beam on. They get 2 seconds of glare but you get to stay alive. Fair cosmic trade in my universe.
One day you might blind someone and cause their vehicle to drift over the yellow line. Would that bring balance to the cosmos as well?

I have been more than annoyed in the last few years at oncoming motorcycles with super bright high beams during the day. So annoyed in fact, that I have chosen to not do this when I ride. It may only be all the newer high output headlight conversions that are bothering me. I'm not sure, but it has not bothered me much in 24 years of riding... just recently.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So you definitely cant say you didnt see them right? That is what is always heard at motorcyle accident scenes.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

That must be the cat's meow, this cat does not have that money for a headlight upgrade right now unfortunately though. I got to the website but there are a bunch of kits available. Is this the one I need? H4 Single Headlight Relay Kits $54.95
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
SuperSport

Yes. Get the fairing mount version with the fuseholder, battery connect. There will be an even greater improvement if you add an upgraded bulb as suggested.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I'm with you smokin'. I do HATE the ******** with the HID headlights in the cars and trucks. Especially the superdouches that put the HID's in their headlights AND running lights and feel the need to run all 4 in the city with other drivers. A big reason why I would never install HID's on anything I own. I don't like it so I'm not going to do it to the next guy.

My one exception to this is with my bike. I had an HID in it when I got it that I took out becasue frankly they don't work for crap in the stock bucket. They NEED the projector. I put a Silverstar in it's place and I can actually see quite a bit better than with the HID. And I always ride on hi beam. The only issue I have with it is if someone is being a douche I can't flash my high beams at them to let them know. But I'd much rather have someone have some discomfort in their eyes than for me to be dead on the side of the road because they didn't see me.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

Thank you to everyone for your help as always. This community is amazing. I rode the Hawk in 98 and fell in LOVE with it. It was the only bike I have ever really wanted to own. Because of having 5 kids, etc, it took me 11 years to get one and I can't imagine riding anything different. I was a MC safety instructor for 9 years and have ridden probably close to 200 different bikes since I started riding and this is the only one I can't wait to get back on. The community is just making it even better!! LOVE it.

Beerhunter, can I get that Silverstar bulb at a auto parts store? And do you have a part number that works with the Hawks?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So you definitely cant say you didnt see them right? That is what is always heard at motorcyle accident scenes.
True, but what are people going to say? "I was looking at my mobile phone and the turned around to smack my screaming kids, then proceeded to run over the little bitty cageless human" sounds much more incriminating than the cliche "I didn't see him!"

Not to debunk you... in the city I ride with high beams on as well...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Superstock

You could take out your bulb, bring it in and just check em' out...match apples to apples per se.

I personally HATE riding at night. All the bugs...it gets cold..not to mention cagers pulling out in front of you cause their conditioned to look for two headlights...not my cup of tea LOL.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Bandit400man; 06-26-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Haha, AZ night= no bugs, and it gets down to 90 degrees, and all the snowbirds are in bed! Perfect time for riding!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

I also am not a big fan of night riding, have to ride so slow so I don't over run the headlight, harder to prep for the corners, to many dangers, but sometimes don't have a choice. One other question all, when installing the H4 kit, will I need to pull the whole fairing off to accomplish this?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Superstock

Hey! Gimme my birds back! hahaha I pulled on one once..it swooped down an flew right in front of me and I whacked the throttle...it was pretty cool for a second or two...

*end threadjack*
Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
SuperSport

You don't have to remove the fairing but removing the gas tank and seat is necessary.