General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Saddlebag luggage options with a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Squid

MD_Lieber is on a distinguished road
Saddlebag luggage options with a passenger?

Hey folks!

I've got a stumper for ya, so anyone looking to show off how much more you know than I do, let's hear ya:

My 'hawk is about back together now, and I'm looking at adding a few creature comforts for a few longer trips. I'd really like soft saddlebags like these Nelson-Rigg backs:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...668&division=6

I found actual pictures of these on a 'hawk here:

http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com/

My issue: I will only be going on vacations with my gal, so it's important that she be able to comfortably sit on the seat too. From the pictures on the second link, it looks like these bags would make it quite impossible for a passenger's feet to reach the pegs. My dilemma, I can't afford custom pegs or anything crazy, so does anybody know of any side-saddlebag solutions that work with a passenger?

I know I can use a tankbag, and I know they make those custom tail-end brackets for the superhawk, but tankbags tend to annoy me (haha...don't ask me why, I don't know), and the rear brackets are more expensive than the saddlebags and they don't even come with a bag (plus they tend to be kinda small for 2 people for a couple of days).

Any suggestions at all will be appreciated (other than not taking her!! ) Thanks for the help, let the knowledge flow!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got those bags and I just checked. Afraid not. No room for her feet. You might try some mini bags and have her wear a backpack. A small tankbag can hold quite a bit, too. I don't ride without my tankbag but it's the smallest Nelson-Rigg makes.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Squid

Bumpity-Bump

Nobody here uses saddlebags with a passenger??
Old 03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Perhaps they are all too manly.
You know, 'passengers? we don't haul no stinking passengers!'
Saddlebags have no place on dedicated corner carving hyper bikes like ours anyway.
I crack me up!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
saddlebags

Chase Harper E.T.(european touring) bags. Very high quality and they hold a ton of stuff. I`ve been using them for 8 yrs. on the SH and have no complaints. I`ve done a couple of week long trips with the wife on the back with no isuses. Think I paid $140 for them, with rain covers,it was money well spent.

Michael
Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Squid

That sounds great. Have any pictures on a SH by any chance? I've googled up a couple of them; do you know which model number you have, by any chance? Thanks, awesome find, hope to see some pictures!!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
my money is on the tank bag an make (ask nicely?) if the gal will whare a back pack.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have a small tank bag as well and it carries quite a bit if you know what to put in it. Besides if I was taking my girlfriend out for a couple days on the the Superhawk when we weren't wearing the bike we wouldn't be wearing much of anything. Wear your equipment and get some good riding undies. You can hide some sandals and khakis in the tank bag for both of you. I don't think you can go camping on a Superhawk without a chase vehicle. Because the Superhawk carries so little you have to be better at your planning. Where to stop, where to stay over night, where to have dinner become more critical to enjoying the outing.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Get a ventrua pack-rack. You can mount the pack the other way to give your passenge room.

Other option would be "panniers" that go over the gas tank, but those might block the side mounted rads/interfear with airflow.