Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Headlight options (Anybody know where to get one of these?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
Headlight options (Anybody know where to get one of these?)

I'm looking to do something different with the SHawk headlight. I've considered the HID retrofit but I'd like to do something more cosmetically unique. When searching the internet I saw a picture of a SHawk that I attached (and seem to remember a thread on here where someone talked about it) and was wondering if anyone knows if this was a production part and where I might find one OR do any of the creative minds on the forum have suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options (Anybody know where to get one of these?)-b8meu-cwk%7E%24-kgrhqr-lcey-jcyfgmbm2-grmi-g%7E%7E_1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
looks like a stock lens and housing with two lights and a shroud to me. You could do dual HIDs if you found small enough projectors.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options (Anybody know where to get one of these?)-img_6845.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Squid

3Dcycle is on a distinguished road
maybe a race fairing with 2 headlights like stated above, thats what it looks like to me
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
OP, that picture of the blue hawk is from Superhawk $299
Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

Thanks for the link, that's the one. All ideas and suggestions are still welcome.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of two HID projectors in the stock housing- You could chop an old housing, and perhaps even mask off two circle on the front lens and paint it to look like the fairing. Then you'd have HID technology as well...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I used to do that on my cbr600s back in the day. I would just get some abs plastic, cut it to shape, heat it in an oven and mold it to the shape of the headlight. I guess I lost my taste for double headlights.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

I've been toying with the ABS idea. Thinking of a Ducati 999 type of look. Also thought about making some accents for the front fairing to make it look a little wider. I've had the SHawk since July 2010, my first sport style bike, and really enjoy it but it has somewhat of a dated look and I think a little work to the front fairing and headlight would change it a lot. I like the Italian styling but the Honda engineering.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whozit
dated look
There it is again!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Red face

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I like the idea of two HID projectors in the stock housing- You could chop an old housing, and perhaps even mask off two circle on the front lens and paint it to look like the fairing. Then you'd have HID technology as well...
Actually I happen to know of a HID projector that's small enough that it might just barely be feasible to install two of them side by side in the space for the stock housing... Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini (H1) - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I used to do that on my cbr600s back in the day. I would just get some abs plastic, cut it to shape, heat it in an oven and mold it to the shape of the headlight. I guess I lost my taste for double headlights.
Originally Posted by whozit
I've been toying with the ABS idea. Thinking of a Ducati 999 type of look. Also thought about making some accents for the front fairing to make it look a little wider. I've had the SHawk since July 2010, my first sport style bike, and really enjoy it but it has somewhat of a dated look and I think a little work to the front fairing and headlight would change it a lot. I like the Italian styling but the Honda engineering.
If you are talking about blocking off parts of the stock light, that's a really, really bad idea in terms of actual light output... If you block off parts of the beam in the stock reflector you end up with very little light and doing that with the stock H4 bulb as your lightsource you migth as well ride around with a flashlight as your light... Especially since whatever configuration your choose, vertical or horisontal both blocks the center part, and focal point of the reflector...

If you are talking about making a custom mounting for two small reflectors, it's still going to decrease light as those have more narrow focus and cant give you a good enough distance to have a usefull highbeam...

Putting two projectors in though, HID or not, will give you the looks and light output...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

I disagree, I dont think the hawk looks dated. Its a classic look. Whenever I tell anyone its a 98 they are shocked.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
not-so New Member
Squid

Thanks for info! If I do a modification I’ll definitely go with HID. I’m considering making a fiberglass mold of an OEM headlight then making a carbon fiber replacement insert for the OEM headlight. I’ll probably make a carbon fiber piece to replace the fairing above the headlight also. If anyone has a donor headlight available let me know since I’m not confident that the donor will survive the process in a usable condition. As far as the “dated look” reference, don’t get me wrong, I really think the SHawk has a good look, there are just a few styling points that I think can be improved to get a balance of classic and modern. Again, thanks for your comments.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I disagree, I dont think the hawk looks dated. Its a classic look. Whenever I tell anyone its a 98 they are shocked.

My thoughts exactly. The SH is that awkward stage between modern and classic. Especially with that twin. Give it a few years and they'll be all the rage at shows.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

Whozit, you gotta keep us posted on what you're doing. I am interested. I wanted for a minute to adapt this face onto the hawk, at least partly cuz I hade a couple for templates off my racebike. I wanted something half 916 and half not.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight options (Anybody know where to get one of these?)-svday15-002.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Squid

Location: currently stationed in La. but from the HOuston, Tx area and im home every weekend
lucas_chanel is on a distinguished road
hello all,

i had to search it cause i seen it in a forum so i looked it up. You can buy it at superbikestore.com. the kit is 299. and some change. they also have a 2 piece lower fairing that looks like the sharkskinz, but from experience they tend to melt from the heat of the exhaust. buying the sharkskinz lower one piece
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

Thanks for the responses and thanks to Tweety about the Morimoto minis. I'll keep you posted on the progress (SmokinJoe) but business has picked up at work so it may be a little delayed. I will need a cheap headlight to make a mold from for a carbon fiber insert so if you have one let me know. I would prefer it not to have a cracked lense but other than that I don't care much about the condition.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Squid

oifdoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spladle160
looks like a stock lens and housing with two lights and a shroud to me. You could do dual HIDs if you found small enough projectors.

is that a pic of your bike?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Squid

RRSTED is on a distinguished road
I get the same reaction when I tell people mines a '99 model.
I love the overall look of the bike but I hate the big chunky headlight and wish it was a bit slimmer.