Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Header wrap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Header wrap

I like the look of the clean steel exhaust tubing, I really do, even better I like ceramic coated header pipes..... But my experience with header coating from two supposed reputable shops has been dismal, and my use of standard and common resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap less then good as well. With discoloration, glass fluffing off, vibration and abrasion damage easily..
Many are familiar with resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap.... and most that have used it hate it at least a little for the reasons or others I mentioned above.

Good news, I have a new source Im using for wiring sheathing.. They supply the little guy to Aerospace, to Military Air Forces and race car teams with unlimited budgets .
Company is called TechFlex https://www.techflex.com/ and they have a product called Volcano Wrap> https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/volcano-wrap

VOLCANO WRAP (VW) is made from continuous filament basalt fiber and is engineered for protection from temperatures 1,500°F. When wrapped around exhaust pipes, the unique construction creates attractive and durable finished product.

Volcano Wrap is 25% stronger and provides a 300°F increase in temperature protection over fiberglass wrap. The product is very rugged, and will not exhibit any vibration damage over long periods of use.

The volcanic rock fiber wrap is easy to install and will provide years of protection and good looks.

I have ordered some and some stainless steel bands to install and see if I like it.

I'm sure the "It will rot your pipes" comments will crop up. a response in advance.
I used standard resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap for 4 years on my first VTR, I had those headers ceramic coated later so unwrapped to send in..after unwrapping them, they had no observable damage, corrosion issues at all. Now that's here in the US, in a state that does not treat streets with chemicals except for a few days in the winter months when we might have black ice..Im not riding those few days.
And I ride in a US state that likely sees less raining weather days then many in other US states, or places outside the US. .So that might make a difference in my results vs yours.

My Volcano wrap should be here today, and my personal workday, Sunday is coming up fast ...so hopefully it'll get installed then.
My goal is to keep heat away from the radiator hose, and oil cooler, To lessen the radiated heat to the motor and radatores in general.
And on the rear header, keep heat away from the shock and shock linkage.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-05-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Cool, I’m eager to hear your experience.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I have my rear header wrapped for the same reason , that is to keep heat away from the shock.

It works !

The shock is much cooler to the touch than before.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
I wrapped my Ducati Sport Classic front cylinder header pipe as it ran in a groove through my oil retention pan, worked fine. Didn't find it attractive, but....form follows function...or something like that.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Techflex is a reputable firm I did business with years ago. They have supplied braided products to several industries for decades. Never used this particular item of theirs, but I never had a problem with the products I got from them.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Volcano Wrap arrived

it weighs a bit more than I expected coming in at 1.3
pounds.

In the scheme of life 1.3 pounds on a street bike is not that big a deal

on a track bike you have to weigh the benefits to the detractors to decide
For me keeping the heat where I want it and away from things I don’t want it on it’s worth a couple of pounds

I’ll use stainless steel bands to secure

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-04-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

So I used most of the whole roll, about 24 of 25 feet.
Overlapping 1/2 width in most places going down to 1/3 overlap on the bends for a better wrap.
I did use all 6 stainless steel bands I ordered and the wrap absolutely secured in place. The wrap however, due to the nature of this kind of material, a wrap it tends to fray if not secured better.

So I used stainless steel safety wire to double wrap in addition to the stainless steel bands

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-05-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Squid

VTRsquid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez

So
used the whole roll, or about 24 of 25 feet.
the 6 stainless steel bands absolutely secured in place the wrap.
However the nature of this kind of a wrap it tends to fray if not secured better.

So I used stainless steel safety wire to double wrap in addition to the stainless steel bands

Looks good! Yeah Ive wrapped a few things before, never had too much luck with the stainless cable ties.. they tend to back out 1/8" before the ball locks no matter how tight you leverage them on. Ive had more luck with stainless tie wire like yourself or cable ties*.
That lava stuff is good, a few brands do a version. Minimal smoke when new and looks great. Doesnt degrade over time as much as glass wrap.
Another trick, especially if using the cheaper glass wrap, is to paint over the top of it with flame-proof paint to prevent it fraying.
EDIT sorry i meant *Hose Clamps lol.

Last edited by VTRsquid; 03-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.