Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Lower header temp and cleaning the inside of the header

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Lower header temp and cleaning the inside of the header

I want to polish my header and also keep the heat inside it. I didn't want to wrap the header, since I'm going to polish it, so I decided to give a product by Eastwood a shot. It's an internal exhaust coating. Before I can give this a shot, do any of you have an idea how to get the carbon out of the inside? I was thinking of media blasting and run the hose through the header, turn it on and pull the hose through. I don't own a media blaster, so I would need to take it to a place here called U-Spray. They let you blast stuff yourself. Not sure if they would let me do something like this, or if the hose would even fit through the pipe. Any other ideas? Chemicals? Anything?

Eastwood Hi-Temp Internal Exhaust Coating w/extension tube
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Plug however many openings that leave you one open.
Fill pipe with carb cleaner. Plug remaining opening.
Leave for 24 hours, shake well occassionally.
Drain. Repeat until carb cleaner comes out relatively clear.
Then take one of those flexible doohickeys, with the retractible fingers inside, with a rag saturated in carb cleaner attached and run it through your header to swab out what ever remains inside.
Keep doing this until rags come out clean.

This is how I used to clean the expansion chambers on my old 2 stroke dirt trackers/ice racers. I hope it works as well for you.

Last edited by Aquasnake; 05-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I was looking at this stuff a couple years back before I had my header coated, but, like you, couldn't figure out how to clean the inside to apply it. This would be a good option for a new header, though a stop at Jet Hot to have it coated inside and out would be even better....

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Carb cleaner, hey? I'll give that a shot and let you know the verdict!

I was thinking of going the Jet Hot route, but for 20 bucks and very good reviews, I decided to give this a shot. Once the bike is running, I'll post the header temperature and see if someone else can take a reading of thier header and compare. Might not be a perfect way of doing it, but at least we can see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:49 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Crux, I was just on Eastwood looking at their internal frame coating. You could try wadded up scotchbrite (or 2) attached to a cable or small chain and spin it through a couple times. You could also find a wire hone like these:

Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Crux, I was just on Eastwood looking at their internal frame coating. You could try wadded up scotchbrite (or 2) attached to a cable or small chain and spin it through a couple times. You could also find a wire hone like these:

The lower picture was what first popped in my head when reading the OP. I have used simular products cleaning the inside of actuator housings with great results.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine

Wow, these brushes look like they'll do the job quite nicely.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
So here is the easy answer to your question, and no you can't do it yourself. Jet Hot coat the pipe. The coating (A metal-ceramic matrix) was originally developed by the aerospace industry as an internal coating for Jet engines and afterburner assemblies. (Jet Hot) When the pipe is coated they do so inside and outside, after they thoroughly clean it, then they put it in a vibratory polishing tank to knock down the coating particles into a smooth as glass finish. The coating does a few things, #1 makes the pipe look very cool and super easy to maintain, #2 contains the heat within the pipe which will help the pipe scavenge better and make the bike still make power on over-run throttle, #3 Evenly spreads the heat over the entire surface of the pipe. #2 & 3 where the original reasons the tuners wrapped pipes in the first place. The some Indy car programs at one time Jet Hotted the combustion chambers in the cylinder heads and piston crowns to even out the combustion chamber temps, eliminate detonation as very high compression ratios. When we were running the US Twinsport 883's you could see the difference on the dyno at the very tail end of the dyno HP trace, without the coating the trace fell off sharply, with the coating the traces decline was very mild. This meant i could hold a gear in between corners and still be accelerating as my competitors bikes needed to be shifted or fell off the power... Cool science.. We also coated the headers on our CBR900RR's. Safety was a consideration to as oil soaked header wrap will smoke and get you black flagged and in extreme cases the oil it self will ignite, the header wrap acting as a lamp wick....
Attached Thumbnails Lower header temp and cleaning the inside of the header-22150_100780413289355_6090404_n.jpg   Lower header temp and cleaning the inside of the header-10687013_900120243355364_5099973608571703955_n.jpg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 05-08-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Superstock

On the Jet Hot you could have them do just the inside, (taping off the outside) then when they put it in the vibratory tank not only would it finish the internal Jet Hot, but would polish the external stainless steel surface. Kill two birds with one stone!

Last edited by Fastguy59; 05-08-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Superstock

CruxGNZ,

This pic of an exhaust that was only Jet coated, but not tumbled. The finish was rough to the touch, harder to maintain and on the inside was the same, felt like 220 grit sandpaper to the touch....
Attached Thumbnails Lower header temp and cleaning the inside of the header-45299_507223749311684_1608068809_n.jpg  
Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

Only issue with Jet Hot is cost. I'm sure the diy is much much cheaper.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

That's pretty neat about the Jet Hot and dyno. To be honest, I have several stock headers and wanted to give this Eastwood product a shot. Down the road, maybe over this winter, I want to try making a stainless big bore exhaust. If I do that, then I'll spend the dough on Jet Hot coating.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Roger Ditchfield noted at some point during a discussion on the UK VTR site that they saw a 4 hp gain (IIRC) on their race VTR by doing a proper wrapping job on the header. I imagine a good ceramic coating like Jet Hot would give something similar...
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM
MotoGP

Maybe try some header science!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Used to use oven cleaner on two stroke pipes. Plug the inlet end (more carbon here). Spray the ez-off in the pipe like there's no tomorrow. swirl it all around inside the pipe - throw a few nuts (the 10mm kind, not pistachios) inside.

Let the mixture sit however long ez-off tells you to. Shake the mixture up like mad (your neighbors will thin, er know, you're a loon) - the nuts help knock some carbon loose. Pour out the disgusting liquid.

Next, heat the pipe with a propane torch - this will help burn off any remaining carbon. Google/Youtube videos on removing pipe carbon with a torch - works pretty darn well.

Either that or just pay someone to do it.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Anyone trying this with Harley pipes needs to use 3/8" nuts.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Anyone trying this with Harley pipes needs to use 3/8" nuts.
the .022" less diameter will be the difference maker!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I was going to order a ball hone, but after looking at the pipes again, I don't think it would get the entire length of the header. I'll watch some YouTube videos and try the carb cleaner and oven cleaner ideas. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll post detailed pictures of how the inside turns out.