Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Good working setup for carbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Good working setup for carbs

I had never ridden this or any other hawk prior to Sunday. I got this bike burned and beaten by thieves and hooligans and left to the salvage auction block. I had jacked in a replacement wire harness and 1 new coil to verify it's condition as a runner before starting. It ran and had about 14,500 on it.
First, established a solid base line by verifying proper valve lash and throttle position sensor adjustment with the idle adjuster all the way down.
Then used the factory book, APE cam chain tensioner instructions, all posts here on the topic, and did the cct job on it. (don't be lazy, do it with valve covers off)
Built her up with a pair of MIG pipes, K&N filter, and got a K&N/Dynojet kit for it. Set needle at 5th clip, 185/190 mains, lighter springs, 2.5 turns out on the air screws. Did not drill the slides. The kit did not come with any slow jets, so kept the 45's. PAIR is in stock configuration at this time.
Next step was the mercury sticks (synchronization) Very necessary! Most of the problems I've read about here need this step accomplished.
Results;
Rode 2 tanks o'93 thru it. 1st tank it ran very well, started easily and loped gently at idle. MIGs are LOUD! Deceleration popping and burbling sounded like a harley but did not buck or otherwise show instability.smooth coming up from 1200, 2000, 3000 etc. very serious acceleration 4500 up. hold on! Light burble at 3500-4000 cruise.
Had to turn idle down to 1200 at 2nd tank, had climbed to 1800. performance got smoother and burble minimalized. tried a couple of power ups to the redline in 3rd. This bike has character and strength.
Revisions;
I will change the slows to 48's to cure the burble issue and if i want to de-harley the decelleration, I'll void the PAIR system, but it would be a good rider just as it is.
Sugestions;
Buy a factory book. Try simple things first. don't change stock equipment without careful research. Only change one thing at a time when troubleshooting.
You are well blessed with this forum and good people like Greg. They fill in the missing info in the Honda book and have allready made the mistakes you will make if you don't listen to them.
I can't wait to saddle this pony again!
Cheers; Rob
Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Whoa now, mister! I don't make mistakes! I see where mistakes CAN be made and then pass the information on. Like my shirt say, "Those who THINK they know Everything annoy those of us who DO!".

On a serious note, you're quite welcome. Always here to help. And thank YOU for passing on your knowledge too!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Unless you really want a hard copy, you don't need to buy the factory service manual.

It has been available for download (about 102MB) from different sites on the web for years.

If you search for 98-03_VTR1000F You'll find it.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The link is in the Knowledge Base