Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

GASPING for fuel at 5K rpm...Jetting issue???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Squid

tatsguyri is on a distinguished road
GASPING for fuel at 5K rpm...Jetting issue???

Hey guys. I just bought a 2001 superhawk. 12K miles. been doing alot of reading here and find it VERY informational! Going to be a long time member i hope! My friend has a 2004 hawk so i already know what the bike can do! Here are my main issues right now...
1. smooth until 5 or 5500 rpm's. then spits and sputters big time and cant get through it. It has Jardine RT 1's high mount on it, not sure if has stock or K&N filter or not. going to tear down this weekend. Im going to order a dyno jet kit tomorrow as im thinking its a main jet issue??? if carbs were dirty it would run rough all over, but its smooth until about 5K. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

2. I also had the stall when coming to stop and pulling in clutch. I upped the idle to about 1300 and seems better so far.

3. Front brakes pulsate pretty badly! need new rotors???

4. thinking it has original chain. kind of clunky. i dont want to spend a fortune, so whats a good chain for decent money? and been reading that 2 extra teeth on back sprocket is pretty cheap. is it ok to do rear sprocket up two and leave front alone?

I wish i could say i knew what size jets are in it already, as i should probable tear them out before i order a kit in case it already has right sizes, but i dont know what else would cause it to gasp for fuel at midrange?

Also,it was 95 degrees out yesterday and with alot of city driving my temp never went over about 167 degrees. called honda dealer and he said thats GREAT! maybe has an aftermarket fan on it. my friends ran at 215 right next to me! any other ideas?

i know this is alot , but im VERY motivated to get this thing running MINT as i only paid $3000 for it! thanx ahead of time for any good info!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
My guess is the main jet tubes are clogged if the bike has been setting a while.

Could have too big main jets

Could be a charging problem resulting in lose of power in the upper RPM's

When you tear down this weekend, I would make damn sure the main jets tubes small hoels on hte sides are not clogged up.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Squid

ok. ya im hoping that who ever did the pipes, also did the jetting and used the correct sizes at the same time! i just bought this bike 2 days ago and he kid before me owned it for 10 months and only put about 1500 miles on it or less. i will check the jets. anything i should clean them with if they are clogged or just get new ones? it really feels like a fuel issue and not charging, but ya never know i guess. any suggestions on other things? thanx
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
If clogged just use some small wire
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Squid

cool. i hope thats all, then i dont have to order jet kit. i want to open this thing up and feel the power asap! lol.

any ideas on chain and or rear sprocket?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Front brake pulsation is definitely rotors. But check the mounting before buying new ones. Check for dirt or corrosion on mounting surface then retorque in a crisscross pattern, 14 ft lbs.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Squid

awesome! thanx surfer. i got alot of work to do this weekend! lol. someday maybe I WILL have advice for people! lol.

Any suggestions for the chain still would be appreciated. and ok to do rear sprocket 2 up and leave front alone? will that throw off my speedo?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 AM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

codfish124 is an unknown quantity at this point
i also had your 5k rmp problem and i found it was bad gas ran that tank out fresh gas and runs good now
Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Squid

GUESS WHAT???? took air box apart and found A HUGE MOUSE NEST! full of fiberglass! just ordered a new filter. gonna clean out and put back together and see if that solves problem, before i go on to the jets. DAMN RODENTS! lol
Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Squid

runs AWESOME now! any ideas on a decent but not break the bank chain would be cool. thanx guys!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
This must be the first Super Hawk that actually ate a mouse!!

Note to self: Check the bike out thoroughly before riding it. Epecially, if you don't know the history.

Maybe some brake fluid or oil on the brake rotors?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
thank god i have an outdoor cat, lol! he snags voles like a vacuum cleaner, lol!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, most Hawks do eat mice!