Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

What RPM is the fuel cutoff at anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR
Re: What RPM is the fuel cutoff at anyway?

I once hit the rev-limiter by trying to make an aggressive pass through a mountain curve and mistakenly thinking the VTR was in second gear rather than first. And, the rev-limiter kicked-in--dead-nuts--at the bottom of the red line, scaring the be-Jesus out of me.)

Thus, if you are hitting the red line and then still increasing engine speed 500 or 600 rpm's before the rev-limiter engages, I would suspect that the rev-limiter needs either adjusting or replacing--unless you get a kick out of pushing the envelope and have a budget that can easily accomodate an engine rebuild.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Concerning VTR longevity, track days notwithstanding, there are several members of the Forum who have VTRs with over 100K miles and who have experienced no major problems. And, I would not be surprised at all if we have a few 200K-milers before too terribly long, especially since a good portion of us use nothing but high-quality fullly synthetic oil (cooler engine temperatures and more effective lubrication yield longer engine-life).

Even so, one thing that I would do right away to ensure longer engine-life would be to replace the OEM cam-chain tensioners with properly-installed APE manual cam-chain tensioners--all the better to avoid the risk of crying along the roadside when an engine breaks in a most radical fashion.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

A VTR would have an ignition cut out, not a fuel cut out.

I used to shift my 86 GSXR at 11000 all the time(10500 redline).

anyone got a used GSXR motor?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

10.5 is the cut on my 03 model and it's a shame cause it's still pulling

Do we have anyone here who could tell me an easy way to eliminate the limiter ?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Originally Posted by ericsuperhawk";p=&quot
Just because it's still "pulling" doesn't mean you're not getting REAL close on clearance. I wouldn't chance running it over the redline much. Being a V twin and can't see the advantage anyway, your power doesn't drop off that much when you grab another gear.
I have cams , pistons , portwork with plenty of both radial and axial valve clearance and some added seat pressure w/o too much on the nose .

I'm good for the go

sckomar ,

http://www.skracing.com/home.htm

can get you those tensioners . Tell them the guy from Oklahoma sent ya . I buy most of my aftermarket hard parts from them .

JE pistons are only $220.00 from SK Racing also ...hint hint - build that thing and put some anger in the motor
Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dyno runs and several other SuperHawk Dyno runs i have seen show that the peak HP is around 9600 RPM and drops off from there. The torque peaks around 10000 rpm and sort of levels of with a slight drop till rev-limiter kicks in at 10500.

Thi sbeing said, why push it to rev limiter kick in as you are already past the peak performance. If you are bumpnig the rev limiter regularly on a track day then you need to change gearing or a different gear if not already in top gear.

Buy different sprockets / chain combo's