Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

frozen coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
frozen coolant system

long story short.... new bike to me, thought there was coolant in system....wasn't..... system frozen.... what is the best way to go about this?.... fawk
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Bring it indoors and let it thaw.... and hope that nothing broke (like the engine block)
Old 12-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Back Marker

I don't see any leaks or icicles from the negine block but I can't see into it so that is tbd

bringing it inside is not an option unfortunately...
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
i think it will be hard to tell. depends on how long and how much fluid, what type etc. Bring it in to thaw for sure. The biggest worry will be cracks in the circuit around the engine and you won't know that for sure until/if you see contamination (milky) in the oil after running for awhile. Once warmed be sure to change the radiator fluid obviously also. good luck
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
sorry, just saw you can't bring it inside. is it in a cover storage you can get a heater into for awhile? Otherwise find a friend with heated garage.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Get it thawed ASAP! Inside someone's garage, basement, van, truck, under a tarp with a heater, etc. Get it up the stairs and into the apartment...into the back of the closest Walmart store or any store for that matter...somewhere brother.

If it keeps getting colder wherever you are and the ice still has room to expand...it will! Then you will be parting out your bike on this website!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tbartley
Get it thawed ASAP! Inside someone's garage, basement, van, truck, under a tarp with a heater, etc. Get it up the stairs and into the apartment...into the back of the closest Walmart store or any store for that matter...somewhere brother.

If it keeps getting colder wherever you are and the ice still has room to expand...it will! Then you will be parting out your bike on this website!
Agreed... Thaw it, ASAP...
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The last motor I saw that froze was a RC-51 and it cracked both heads....
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
Get some antifreeze into it asap. Even a little bit will start to thaw the coolant. Keep adding as the water starts to slurry. As it seeps through the system you should be able to drop off a lower hose and then replace it once the liquid drains. Add more AF and the mix will get to a point where it will thaw the rest. Once you have done this a couple times you should be able to see that the ice crystals have been absorbed. Once you are sure there is no ice in the water pump you can start her and see where she's leaking. If you do this soon enough you might have gotten lucky.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Back Marker

the temps have been only a few deg C below freezing, it wiill freeze water but my hope is that it froze the water at a rate slow enough that the expansion could have take place and displaced the liquid water where it could as it was freexing...... anyways...

I unscrewed the water pump cover and removed all ice that would be blocking it. then left it open for a while and with the bike idling let whatever water could pour out. I am guessing there was about a liter of water that was thawed then I buttoned it back up and by the the heat of the bike was enought htat most of the rad tubes etc had slush in them that I could squish by hand. I then proceeded to pour coolant into the rad while it was running for a little while. my hope is that nothing internally was damaged, I guess time will tell. I hope that the rads are fine and that there is not leakage from them either. this was the best that I could do with what I have available to me, I do not have a garage, I do not know anyone with a garage etc etc. i figured it was the best option that I had, ie to salvage the water pump..... anyways, time will tell.... wish me luck
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You could actually run a garden hose on it to thaw it, although if you dont have access to a garage then a hose may be a long shot. I would be hopeful if the temps werent much below freezing. Even buckets of warm water dumped on it could do the job. I work on my bike on the sidewalks here in NYC & could at least do the bucket thing so get it defrosted and drained at least. If its dry it at least wont break. My bet is that you are not totally screwed.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
I don't see any leaks or icicles from the negine block but I can't see into it so that is tbd

bringing it inside is not an option unfortunately...
if you can keep it dry outside, throw an electric blanket around it with the heat up all the way. give it a day or so then look at it.

Of course, if it is 0 degrees outside the blanket will not do a thing unless you insulate it somehow.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
the temps have been only a few deg C below freezing, it wiill freeze water but my hope is that it froze the water at a rate slow enough that the expansion could have take place and displaced the liquid water where it could as it was freexing...... anyways...

I unscrewed the water pump cover and removed all ice that would be blocking it. then left it open for a while and with the bike idling let whatever water could pour out. I am guessing there was about a liter of water that was thawed then I buttoned it back up and by the the heat of the bike was enought htat most of the rad tubes etc had slush in them that I could squish by hand. I then proceeded to pour coolant into the rad while it was running for a little while. my hope is that nothing internally was damaged, I guess time will tell. I hope that the rads are fine and that there is not leakage from them either. this was the best that I could do with what I have available to me, I do not have a garage, I do not know anyone with a garage etc etc. i figured it was the best option that I had, ie to salvage the water pump..... anyways, time will tell.... wish me luck
OK...good luck! Keep us posted, eh?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
From experience I can tell you that adding antifreeze will do more and quicker.