Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

forks

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Back Marker

pchrist is on a distinguished road
forks

ok so my forks have slid up on the tree's. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Assuming i just have to loosen up the forks and slide back down??? Will i have to take the fairing off?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure if you can get in there with any tools while the fairing is in place, but you will definitely need to raise the front end off the ground. They should slide down pretty easily.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I just lowered the front on my bike this weekend without removing the fairing...you'll need a combination of 12mm and 14mm sockets and extensions and wrenches to fix your issue...if you have a good 14mm wrench you can reach the lower triple without removing the fairing.

there is one bolt on each side of each triple clamp, if your forks slid then probably one or more of them are already loose...to lower the front on my bike I loosened both clamps, let the bike lower naturally on the forks...then I set the clip-ons at the total lowered height I wanted (I measured each side to make sure they would be the same), then I pushed the bike back up so that the top triple was wedged against the clip-ons on both sides, and tightened up the bolts.

Last edited by blamecanada; 05-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
If it slid you need to double check the botls to make sure they are tight BEFORE you ride your bike anymore! That could be a big safety issue! Then yes loosen and raise the front of the bike and they should slide back down easily. Then make sure all the tripple clamp bolts are tight.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Thats pretty scary. It SHOULDN'T happen. You can put a jack under the motor with a wood block to lift the front or hang it from tie downs from a beam. When you loosten all the bolts the whole front end can fall so be careful.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Yeah forks moving in the triples is not a good thing.

How tight were the bolts? Also make sure you don't over tighten them when you do get them back into proper position, so you might need a good torque wench to do it properly

Also a trick when setting them is first aline the marks at the top of the fork, then try to install the axle before you tighten them all the way down. It should slide in smoothly.

If it does not move one fork leg up or down until it does. This insures the forks are level. I have seen the marks on the top of the forks off by a mm or 2 many times so I always double check with the axle now.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
you might need a good torque wench to do it properly
I agree 100%. That's what makes it a pita to do it w/ the fairing on. And throw the axle in there like Mike recommended.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blamecanada
I just lowered the front on my bike this weekend without removing the fairing...you'll need a combination of 12mm and 14mm sockets and extensions and wrenches to fix your issue...if you have a good 14mm wrench you can reach the lower triple without removing the fairing.

there is one bolt on each side of each triple clamp, if your forks slid then probably one or more of them are already loose...to lower the front on my bike I loosened both clamps, let the bike lower naturally on the forks...then I set the clip-ons at the total lowered height I wanted (I measured each side to make sure they would be the same), then I pushed the bike back up so that the top triple was wedged against the clip-ons on both sides, and tightened up the bolts.
NICK! Come on now! tell everyone how much you lowered/raised your forks????

You have to post a picture!

Little background here, I went riding with Nick over the weekend, and he was hustling his Superhawk real good thru the tight stuff. His bike turns in really nice and quick now!

You guys are in for a shock!

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 05-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
haha alright I'll post up a pic when I get home
Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
You don't want to overtighten them and bust the bolts or anything like that but it's not so critical that you have to have a torque wrench. If you don't have one don't go knocking yourself out to get one. But it's never a bad idea to use one espeically if you've not turned wrenches enough to have a good idea how tight certain sized bolts should be.