SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   forks (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/forks-28354/)

pchrist 05-21-2012 08:06 AM

forks

ok so my forks have slid up on the tree's. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Assuming i just have to loosen up the forks and slide back down??? Will i have to take the fairing off?

BeerHunter 05-21-2012 11:13 AM

I'm not sure if you can get in there with any tools while the fairing is in place, but you will definitely need to raise the front end off the ground. They should slide down pretty easily.

blamecanada 05-21-2012 11:57 AM

I just lowered the front on my bike this weekend without removing the fairing...you'll need a combination of 12mm and 14mm sockets and extensions and wrenches to fix your issue...if you have a good 14mm wrench you can reach the lower triple without removing the fairing.

there is one bolt on each side of each triple clamp, if your forks slid then probably one or more of them are already loose...to lower the front on my bike I loosened both clamps, let the bike lower naturally on the forks...then I set the clip-ons at the total lowered height I wanted (I measured each side to make sure they would be the same), then I pushed the bike back up so that the top triple was wedged against the clip-ons on both sides, and tightened up the bolts.

GTS 05-21-2012 12:39 PM

If it slid you need to double check the botls to make sure they are tight BEFORE you ride your bike anymore! That could be a big safety issue! Then yes loosen and raise the front of the bike and they should slide back down easily. Then make sure all the tripple clamp bolts are tight.

smokinjoe73 05-21-2012 12:46 PM

Thats pretty scary. It SHOULDN'T happen. You can put a jack under the motor with a wood block to lift the front or hang it from tie downs from a beam. When you loosten all the bolts the whole front end can fall so be careful.

8541Hawk 05-21-2012 03:26 PM

Yeah forks moving in the triples is not a good thing.

How tight were the bolts? Also make sure you don't over tighten them when you do get them back into proper position, so you might need a good torque wench to do it properly

Also a trick when setting them is first aline the marks at the top of the fork, then try to install the axle before you tighten them all the way down. It should slide in smoothly.

If it does not move one fork leg up or down until it does. This insures the forks are level. I have seen the marks on the top of the forks off by a mm or 2 many times so I always double check with the axle now.

Wolverine 05-21-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 333163)
you might need a good torque wench to do it properly

I agree 100%. That's what makes it a pita to do it w/ the fairing on. And throw the axle in there like Mike recommended.

speedkelly@aol.com 05-21-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by blamecanada (Post 333126)
I just lowered the front on my bike this weekend without removing the fairing...you'll need a combination of 12mm and 14mm sockets and extensions and wrenches to fix your issue...if you have a good 14mm wrench you can reach the lower triple without removing the fairing.

there is one bolt on each side of each triple clamp, if your forks slid then probably one or more of them are already loose...to lower the front on my bike I loosened both clamps, let the bike lower naturally on the forks...then I set the clip-ons at the total lowered height I wanted (I measured each side to make sure they would be the same), then I pushed the bike back up so that the top triple was wedged against the clip-ons on both sides, and tightened up the bolts.

NICK! Come on now! tell everyone how much you lowered/raised your forks????

You have to post a picture!

Little background here, I went riding with Nick over the weekend, and he was hustling his Superhawk real good thru the tight stuff. His bike turns in really nice and quick now!

You guys are in for a shock!

blamecanada 05-21-2012 04:24 PM

haha alright I'll post up a pic when I get home

GTS 05-21-2012 04:55 PM

You don't want to overtighten them and bust the bolts or anything like that but it's not so critical that you have to have a torque wrench. If you don't have one don't go knocking yourself out to get one. But it's never a bad idea to use one espeically if you've not turned wrenches enough to have a good idea how tight certain sized bolts should be.