SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fluid coming from under clutch fluid reservoir (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fluid-coming-under-clutch-fluid-reservoir-24349/)

Letsrideinsc 12-13-2010 03:04 PM

Fluid coming from under clutch fluid reservoir

Not sure what's up, kinda funny. I replaced my clutch line over the weekend, replaced with a Goodridge line. I bled the new line, clutch worked perfect, went riding yesterday about 150 miles and found upon return there was fluid on my fairing coming from under the reservoir cap. (my paint is still there :))
I never liked the rubber boot on the inside of the clutch reservoir as I thought it impeded my view of clean fluid, so I removed it and screwed the lid on tight, walla, I could see the clean fluid. I thought that was my problem, so I put the rubber piece back into the clear reservoir, tightened it all up and went to work this morning. Got to work and brake fluid coming out from under the reservoir(not under the cap), where the reservoir meets the lever, anybody seen this before? To the manual I go after work. I may need to replace an o-ring or something there.

Any help appreciated.

8541Hawk 12-13-2010 03:07 PM

There are 2 "o" rings under the reservoir which might be leaking or the reservoir might be cracked.

8541Hawk 12-13-2010 03:08 PM

You could also try tightening the screw that holds the res. in place.

Take the cap off and you can see the screw.

Letsrideinsc 12-13-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 288510)
You could also try tightening the screw that holds the res. in place.

Take the cap off and you can see the screw.

Thank you, good recommendations!!!!

Tweety 12-13-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Letsrideinsc (Post 288507)
Not sure what's up, kinda funny. I replaced my clutch line over the weekend, replaced with a Goodridge line. I bled the new line, clutch worked perfect, went riding yesterday about 150 miles and found upon return there was fluid on my fairing coming from under the reservoir cap. (my paint is still there :))
I never liked the rubber boot on the inside of the clutch reservoir as I thought it impeded my view of clean fluid, so I removed it and screwed the lid on tight, walla, I could see the clean fluid. I thought that was my problem, so I put the rubber piece back into the clear reservoir, tightened it all up and went to work this morning. Got to work and brake fluid coming out from under the reservoir(not under the cap), where the reservoir meets the lever, anybody seen this before? To the manual I go after work. I may need to replace an o-ring or something there.

Any help appreciated.

Actually, the rubber boot is useful... It might not have anything to do with your problem right now, but I would still keep it there... The point of it is too reduce foaming, ie repeated cycles of fluid into the the cylinder and out to the reservoar could created bubbles in the fluid and make the cylinder pump air... The rubber bladder keeps that from happening by filling the volume that isn't fluid instead of a big airbubble...

It's probably not life changing if you remove it on the clutch res, but on the brake fluid res, it might not be a brilliant idea... Just FYI...

nath981 12-14-2010 05:00 PM

+1........ the rubber sucks down as fluid level recedes when brake pads wear and the pistons have to increase travel.

E.Marquez 12-15-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 288509)
There are 2 "o" rings under the reservoir which might be leaking or the reservoir might be cracked.

What he said above or, you simply spilled and the fluid is in the air gap under the cup..

Drain cup, remove screws, clean and inspect cup, replace O rings, reinstall, careful when you pour fluid back in... no dribbling over the edge as it will run down the edge, to the air gap and sit, until you ride (wind pressure) of just lean the bike over at rest the right way,, then the fluid will dribble out from under the cup.

E.Marquez 12-15-2010 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 288512)
Actually, the rubber boot is useful... It might not have anything to do with your problem right now, but I would still keep it there... The point of it is too reduce foaming, ie repeated cycles of fluid into the the cylinder and out to the reservoar could created bubbles in the fluid and make the cylinder pump air... The rubber bladder keeps that from happening by filling the volume that isn't fluid instead of a big airbubble...

It's probably not life changing if you remove it on the clutch res, but on the brake fluid res, it might not be a brilliant idea... Just FYI...

The rubber cup is also there to keep air away from the fluid which is hydroscopic..and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Tweety 12-15-2010 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 288598)
The rubber cup is also there to keep air away from the fluid which is hydroscopic..and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

True... ;) Ie removal isn't very smart...