Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

FLAMES and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
FLAMES and backfiring

My 98 VTR is shooting huge flames out the exhaust when i rev it then let off as well as back firing quite a bit....running Jarine high exit slip on rounds... not sure my jetting situation as the bike had d and d pipes on it when i bought it so but its kinda annoying i mean i get about 160kms a tank so i know it cant be running that bad so. any ideas
Old 09-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
No ideas, but that must look pretty cool at night
Old 09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Squid

blackboyonhawk is on a distinguished road
Cool

don't feel left out mine does the same I actually like it.and I don't care to know how to fix it
Old 09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are running a bit rich, the excess fuel making the nice flames out the exhaust. Personally I like flames, I have a set of flamethrowers on my '66 Chevy Stepside pickup - they look cool at night!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Squid

omniouslink is on a distinguished road
Try your jets

I have the same issue with my bike I have two brothers racing exhaust and a set of vance and hines. when I put the two brothers on it shoots flames, but not with the vance and hines. I had the same issue with my Hardly Davidson. Try adjusting your fuel air mixture just q touch like 1/8 -1/4 turn. If that still does not work then you may need to drop your jets down a number or two. If you continue to run it that way you may end up burning up your exahust valves. it may look cool but it could be expensive in the end. Im running mine with the flames mainly because Im too lazy to play with it. But I also have a spare motor with less miles
Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Squid

andrewlc77 is on a distinguished road
you might want too see if it has been jetted.....although i have the same issue right now and i called the local honda dealer and they said the carbs need to be synced and that has to be done every now and again
Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Running rich? Not enough airflow maybe? Check the air filter first. Just a guess.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Back Marker

How can you tell if its running rich and where is the fuel air mixture???
Old 09-09-2006, 02:26 AM
Back Marker

Well I mean where do I adjust the fuel air mixture???

Any other tips?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
You had D&D pipes before. How did it run then?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Back Marker

It backfired a bit then too
Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Back Marker

I had pipes on it before but now I dont know what to do !
Old 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Just to revisit this thread, anyone ever put flame throwers on a Superhawk? The kind you put down into the exhaust somewhere? I saw some on a Duc one time, looked amazing at night...

I want flames at night then i can get the chicks.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 AM
SuperBike

The kits claim to work on carbureted bikes... I have a set for my '66 Chevy pickup and they are way cool! I have seen propane and gas used to supplement the flames on some cars/trucks but I probably wouldn't do that on the bike. The kit I have interrupts the ignition and activates the spark unit/coil of the kit to let unburned fuel into the exhaust and light it with a spark, you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy.

Originally Posted by Arctic Fire
Just to revisit this thread, anyone ever put flame throwers on a Superhawk? The kind you put down into the exhaust somewhere? I saw some on a Duc one time, looked amazing at night...

I want flames at night then i can get the chicks.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Flames

Has this been cured by removing the PAIR system? This combustion is likely being fed by that system..Sounds harsh enough to blow the guts out of exhaust system..Drop needles help?? then remove PAIR..it's in Greg's site?? I'm new to the bike..running too rich tough on engine..carbon build up..washing oil from cylinder walls..gas into oil ..poor performance..

Take Care
Dave
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Hey Rick, Yeah no "real" flames like propane or napalm, just the little blue kickers. Can you expand on this "you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy" which you speak of?

Big fan of classic pickups by the way
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
SuperBike

You can use the killswitch to kill the ignition like my truck's setup uses but you would still need to control a spark in the bike's exhaust. The switch in my setup is wired to kill the ignition coil (what the bike killswitch does) and at the same time energize the spark box which drives 2 normal car type coils to produce continuous sparks in the plugs screwed into the tailpipes about 8" from the exhaust tips. So far I get 2-3 ft flames at best but thats fine by me for now:-D

This is the kit I have:
http://www.route66supply.com/store/page101.html

The truck is still under resto but it should be pretty cool when its done. Its a shortbed '66 Chevy Stepside with a 355 small block and a 700R4 automatic overdrive in it.

Originally Posted by Arctic Fire
Hey Rick, Yeah no "real" flames like propane or napalm, just the little blue kickers. Can you expand on this "you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy" which you speak of?

Big fan of classic pickups by the way
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
I knew a guy with a harley he threaded spark plugs into his exhaust and hooked them up to a coil and a switch he would rev thet P.O.S. up and flip the switch and flames would shoot out the end of the pipes. popping on decel. does have to do with the pair system
Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
Has this been cured by removing the PAIR system? This combustion is likely being fed by that system..Sounds harsh enough to blow the guts out of exhaust system..Drop needles help?? then remove PAIR..it's in Greg's site?? I'm new to the bike..running too rich tough on engine..carbon build up..washing oil from cylinder walls..gas into oil ..poor performance..

Take Care
Dave
Dave, I would think that if you had the PAIR system still installed then you would not be able to use this kit. The air is injected into the head while the exhaust is still very hot so it instantly ignites while in the header close to the heads. You would need to be REALLY rich for flames to make it all the way out the exhaust, especially with stock or debaffled exhaust.

You still don't have your jetting sorted out yet?