SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   FLAMES and backfiring (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/flames-backfiring-9453/)

Blurr 09-01-2006 02:04 AM

FLAMES and backfiring

My 98 VTR is shooting huge flames out the exhaust when i rev it then let off as well as back firing quite a bit....running Jarine high exit slip on rounds... not sure my jetting situation as the bike had d and d pipes on it when i bought it so but its kinda annoying i mean i get about 160kms a tank so i know it cant be running that bad so. any ideas

Nanotech 09-01-2006 08:48 AM

No ideas, but that must look pretty cool at night

blackboyonhawk 09-01-2006 07:06 PM

don't feel left out mine does the same I actually like it.and I don't care to know how to fix it

RickB 09-02-2006 05:10 PM

Sounds like you are running a bit rich, the excess fuel making the nice flames out the exhaust. Personally I like flames, I have a set of flamethrowers on my '66 Chevy Stepside pickup - they look cool at night! :twisted:

omniouslink 09-02-2006 08:27 PM

Try your jets

I have the same issue with my bike I have two brothers racing exhaust and a set of vance and hines. when I put the two brothers on it shoots flames, but not with the vance and hines. I had the same issue with my Hardly Davidson. Try adjusting your fuel air mixture just q touch like 1/8 -1/4 turn. If that still does not work then you may need to drop your jets down a number or two. If you continue to run it that way you may end up burning up your exahust valves. it may look cool but it could be expensive in the end. Im running mine with the flames mainly because Im too lazy to play with it. But I also have a spare motor with less miles :)

andrewlc77 09-02-2006 08:31 PM

you might want too see if it has been jetted.....although i have the same issue right now and i called the local honda dealer and they said the carbs need to be synced and that has to be done every now and again

BeerHunter 09-03-2006 03:55 PM

Running rich? Not enough airflow maybe? Check the air filter first. Just a guess.

Blurr 09-07-2006 11:52 PM

How can you tell if its running rich and where is the fuel air mixture???

Blurr 09-09-2006 02:26 AM

Well I mean where do I adjust the fuel air mixture???

Any other tips?

BeerHunter 09-09-2006 10:21 AM

You had D&D pipes before. How did it run then?

Blurr 09-09-2006 11:57 AM

It backfired a bit then too

Blurr 09-12-2006 09:45 PM

I had pipes on it before but now I dont know what to do !

Arctic Fire 12-13-2006 04:27 PM

Just to revisit this thread, anyone ever put flame throwers on a Superhawk? The kind you put down into the exhaust somewhere? I saw some on a Duc one time, looked amazing at night...

I want flames at night :( then i can get the chicks.

RickB 12-14-2006 06:56 AM

The kits claim to work on carbureted bikes... I have a set for my '66 Chevy pickup and they are way cool! I have seen propane and gas used to supplement the flames on some cars/trucks but I probably wouldn't do that on the bike. The kit I have interrupts the ignition and activates the spark unit/coil of the kit to let unburned fuel into the exhaust and light it with a spark, you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy.

Originally Posted by Arctic Fire (Post 37029)
Just to revisit this thread, anyone ever put flame throwers on a Superhawk? The kind you put down into the exhaust somewhere? I saw some on a Duc one time, looked amazing at night...

I want flames at night :( then i can get the chicks.

Dave Wicks 12-14-2006 07:09 AM

Flames

Has this been cured by removing the PAIR system? This combustion is likely being fed by that system..Sounds harsh enough to blow the guts out of exhaust system..Drop needles help?? then remove PAIR..it's in Greg's site?? I'm new to the bike..running too rich tough on engine..carbon build up..washing oil from cylinder walls..gas into oil ..poor performance..

Take Care
Dave

Arctic Fire 12-14-2006 07:22 AM

Hey Rick, Yeah no "real" flames like propane or napalm, just the little blue kickers. Can you expand on this "you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy" which you speak of?

Big fan of classic pickups by the way ;)

RickB 12-14-2006 01:05 PM

You can use the killswitch to kill the ignition like my truck's setup uses but you would still need to control a spark in the bike's exhaust. The switch in my setup is wired to kill the ignition coil (what the bike killswitch does) and at the same time energize the spark box which drives 2 normal car type coils to produce continuous sparks in the plugs screwed into the tailpipes about 8" from the exhaust tips. So far I get 2-3 ft flames at best but thats fine by me for now:-D

This is the kit I have:
http://www.route66supply.com/store/page101.html

The truck is still under resto but it should be pretty cool when its done. Its a shortbed '66 Chevy Stepside with a 355 small block and a 700R4 automatic overdrive in it.

Originally Posted by Arctic Fire (Post 37079)
Hey Rick, Yeah no "real" flames like propane or napalm, just the little blue kickers. Can you expand on this "you can do the same thing with the killswitch on the bike real easy" which you speak of?

Big fan of classic pickups by the way ;)

sprhawk neil 12-14-2006 01:17 PM

I knew a guy with a harley he threaded spark plugs into his exhaust and hooked them up to a coil and a switch he would rev thet P.O.S. up and flip the switch and flames would shoot out the end of the pipes. popping on decel. does have to do with the pair system

Hawkrider 12-14-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Wicks (Post 37078)
Has this been cured by removing the PAIR system? This combustion is likely being fed by that system..Sounds harsh enough to blow the guts out of exhaust system..Drop needles help?? then remove PAIR..it's in Greg's site?? I'm new to the bike..running too rich tough on engine..carbon build up..washing oil from cylinder walls..gas into oil ..poor performance..

Take Care
Dave

Dave, I would think that if you had the PAIR system still installed then you would not be able to use this kit. The air is injected into the head while the exhaust is still very hot so it instantly ignites while in the header close to the heads. You would need to be REALLY rich for flames to make it all the way out the exhaust, especially with stock or debaffled exhaust.

You still don't have your jetting sorted out yet?