Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

First Valve Adjustment at 67k miles

Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
First Valve Adjustment at 67k miles

Yeah, I know... What took you so long to get around to that?

Well, I finally finished the valve adjustment on my rear cylinder. The Holidays, a cold garage, a 66 year old back, and general procrastination combined to make it a marathon project. Plus, I've had my wife's spare bike to ride, an '07 SV650S, so I wasn't in a big hurry. But I finally got her fired up yesterday.

At 67,285 miles, one intake and both exhaust valves on the rear cylinder were tight. They had some lash, but were out of spec. The other intake was at the low end of the spec. I ordered OEM shims from the dealer to get them all in the middle of the spec range.

I also replaced the rear CCT (I'd replaced the front CCT 3 months ago). I used OEM CCTs.

Now I have to get myself motivated to tackle the front cylinder valve adjustment. My back's really going to like that one. But I'm figuring they probably won't be quite as tight, since the front cylinder should run a little cooler.

I sure miss the 20 minute valve adjustments on my old CX500 and BMW R100RS (both had set screw adjusters). And my CB700SC Nighthawk S had hydraulic adjusters.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Squid

VeeTR is on a distinguished road
It's a good thing to get in there and get it done,only did mine a while back but the difference since that tune up is night and day,dont forget to sync the carbs when your done
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting that your exhaust valves were tight, often times they get loose (intakes get tight). I'm not surprised that you've been able to go this long - it's a Honda after all!