Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Failing blinkers

Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
Na I pretty much figured it out.

Each morning, when I start my bike, it runs for about 10 mins before I take her to the streets. While the engine warms up, I warm up the signals too. I run them two or three times for 10 or 20 seconds at a time.
By the time I'm on the pavement, they work like a charm
Old 12-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Superstock

handkaudio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RoofCleanPhenom
Na I pretty much figured it out.

Each morning, when I start my bike, it runs for about 10 mins before I take her to the streets. While the engine warms up, I warm up the signals too. I run them two or three times for 10 or 20 seconds at a time.
By the time I'm on the pavement, they work like a charm
Thats interesting, would like to know this problem, cuz I have the exact issue. I did put in a new and the right relay for mhy LEDs, they flash right when they do flash, but take 5-10 seconds to start flashing in the cold weather. I will keep this warming up idea in my head for future reference if someone doesnt figure this out.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
tentacles!
Squid

minkis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by handkaudio
Thats interesting, would like to know this problem, cuz I have the exact issue. I did put in a new and the right relay for mhy LEDs, they flash right when they do flash, but take 5-10 seconds to start flashing in the cold weather. I will keep this warming up idea in my head for future reference if someone doesnt figure this out.
Just riving this dead thread. I'm having the similar issue where last fall/late summer they worked fine. Now there is about a 40sec delay. It's about 26F out.

Took a quick look at it. Connections seem fine. When you hit the blinkers, it just sits, and then just before it gets going I can hear the relay going off at twice the speed with the blinkers not lighting up, and then it kicks in normally. That's going to make safety certification that much easier.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Thanks for the revival .... I think.
So at this point I have cleaned the connectors in the tail of the bike, overhauled the switch at the bar, and replaced the signal relay - I still have the dangerous delay. My next steps will be to take all of the bulbs out and clean the connections there.

In the meantime the high beam bulb has burned out. I haven't done any work on the bike for some time due to the winter weather but I hope to get on it soon.

Originally Posted by minkis
Just riving this dead thread. I'm having the similar issue where last fall/late summer they worked fine. Now there is about a 40sec delay. It's about 26F out.

Took a quick look at it. Connections seem fine. When you hit the blinkers, it just sits, and then just before it gets going I can hear the relay going off at twice the speed with the blinkers not lighting up, and then it kicks in normally. That's going to make safety certification that much easier.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Do you have the correct wattage bulbs in your signals? They should be 23W.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hey Greg, don't know about others' but mine are the original bulbs. I can imagine there's some oxidation in the sockets. I'll try cleaning them up with steel wool. These problems began for me after I began parking my bike outside - previously I had a garage to park it in.

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Do you have the correct wattage bulbs in your signals? They should be 23W.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Squid

Jaytee is on a distinguished road
The eternal blinker problem

This one just never seems to go away does it? I have not heard a definitive solution to this problem ever. I too am suffering long delays with cold weather (though our idea of cold here in Oz is very different to yours. How do you guys do it?!) Some strange things I have noticed about mine is that the blinkers seem to respond immediately if I try them without the engine running. To my mind this seems to be in direct contradiction of the theory about reduced electricity flow/increased resistance.
Another puzzler is that the right and left blinkers behave differently. This would seem to suggest that the problem is not with the relay. I too have removed/inspected/cleaned/greased every part of the system with only the smallest of improvements.
Another thought I had was to try blowing hot air (hairdryer or cautiously applied heat gun) onto the switchblock and the relay at different times to see if heating up one or the other makes a difference. Haven't tried it yet, only just thought of it whilst writing this. Will post results.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hmmm, cleaning the light bulb sockets was going to be my next task, thinking that maybe corrosion had set in due to outside parking (under cover). I'll give it a try anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
I've had the same problem since I got my Hawk and just decided not to let it bother me anymore since I use hand signals too. It pissed me off for a while though.
________
Blunt

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
supermatt996
Squid

supermatt996 is on a distinguished road
i had a problem like this when i tried to rewire my bike when my headlight was off the blinkers worked and when on it took awhile for them to turn on if at all it ended up being the ground wire check for a cracks or holes in the wires
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Hmmm, cleaning the light bulb sockets was going to be my next task, thinking that maybe corrosion had set in due to outside parking (under cover). I'll give it a try anyway.
I had a '59 Porsche 356A for 9 years (until my ex-wife claimed it in the divorce, no problem since I got my bike) and I had to clean the sockets every 6 months to keep the turn signals working. Use very fine emery paper on the sides of the socket.

And like stated earlier use dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion. Kragen always pushes it on customers when they buy plug wires.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Mine do this too. Take about 60 seconds to start working when the bike is cold and running.

When it's not running though, they work immediately! I have replacement signals with bulbs.

The problem seemed to appear right around when I removed the front signals, and about the same time my r/r failed high. I thought it was related, but now I have signals all the way around and a yamaha r/r. Everything works aside from the slow signals in the morning.

Bike is parked inside and always has been.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
This happened to my hawk.
New Winker Relay ( the official honda term ) and same problem.
Found that if you buy an expensive tube of De-Oxit ( about 10 bucks at electronic store )
and spray De-Oxit on your multi prong connectors under seat and near steering head and guages, then reassemble after a few minutes, solves many problems.

The stuff is phenominal in troubleshooting all kinds of expensive electronics and computer interfaces.
Thats what fixed mine, not the new $30 Winker relay.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Back Marker

asdf33 is on a distinguished road
I've been suffering with this cold-weather blinker delay for the past 3+ years. First disassembled the switch on the bar. It looked clean, so I tested voltage at the input of the relay. It changes state immediately when I turn on the blinker, so I don't suspect the switch is the problem. Then I thought maybe the relay was getting sticky. High-power mechanical relays can tack weld themselves into one position. Replaced the relay with a LP solid state unit...no change. All the connectors on the entire harness look clean. I hit 'em with some dielectric grease for good measure. Now I have a new failure mode in any climate where the signals work intermittently. Sometimes they work fine; sometimes they turn on and don't blink; sometimes they don't light at all. If guys with LED signals suffer this same delay, it's not oxidation in the bulb socket either, right? Now I suspect a short/open in the harness, especially since it runs right by the hot R/R, but I really don't want to cut into the harness.

Has anyone just replaced the whole bike's wiring harness to address this issue? Results?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Its the R/R regulating the voltage wrong.
Its still charging the battery, but the level had to be within 1 volt of nominal for that picky winker relay to function right.
Im not saying get a new R/R, or that yours is "bad", as yours will probably keep charging for some time.
But on the one I build, theres an adjustment pot, and I noticed that until its adjusted right to the exact spot the winker relay likes, you will get the weird behavior like you describe, even on my own bikes. I think its just a flaky circuit for the winkers. Other bikes winker circuits are not sensitive like the superhawks.

One way you can experiment, is put a battery charger on the battery, and watch the voltage. Try the winker at several voltages, and you will notice it works better at certain voltages than others.
From what I can tell. it likes the 15 - 15.5 volts nominal charge level

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
That sounds plausible. So does that mean that the sensitive component is the flasher relay?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

yup. One of the quirks of a wonderful machine.
Bell 208 has all kinds of harmless quirks and pilots dont complain. They love it.
Might retro fit with better hardware, Ive never had time to play with that. An idea.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
So what would stop us wiring in an el cheapo common flasher unit from KMart?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Instead of WD-40, use De-oxit cleaner.
If they carry the stuff on the space shuttle electronic technicians kit, theres something to it.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Originally Posted by revhead1957
So what would stop us wiring in an el cheapo common flasher unit from KMart?
nothing as long as its schematicaly compatible. ( trigger/contacts )
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... I did wire in a el cheapo one to get my LED's at the correct rate... And together with other maintenance, ie check for oxide, clean handlebar switch and use grease that doesn't go stiff in cold weather... Well those cured it...
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
Its the R/R regulating the voltage wrong.
Its still charging the battery, but the level had to be within 1 volt of nominal for that picky winker relay to function right.
Im not saying get a new R/R, or that yours is "bad", as yours will probably keep charging for some time.
But on the one I build, theres an adjustment pot, and I noticed that until its adjusted right to the exact spot the winker relay likes, you will get the weird behavior like you describe, even on my own bikes. I think its just a flaky circuit for the winkers. Other bikes winker circuits are not sensitive like the superhawks.

One way you can experiment, is put a battery charger on the battery, and watch the voltage. Try the winker at several voltages, and you will notice it works better at certain voltages than others.
From what I can tell. it likes the 15 - 15.5 volts nominal charge level
Burner, I'm not at my bench currently, so I can't test how the winker performs as I vary input voltage. I did measure voltage across the battery with engine running. It may be a bit low at 13.4V, but the spec for a fully charged battery is 13.2V. I can't imagine what is in the OEM electromagnetic relay or my aftermarket SSR that would be so sensitive to voltage and/or temperature. I'd love to hear any theories why these relays are so sensitive/inconsitent...the more technical the better.

BTW, I don't consider this a harmless quirk by any stretch. How many cage drivers do you suppose know how to interpret hand signals these days?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

It's a combination of being both voltage dependent and temperature dependent. I haven't heard an explanation that makes sense for both.

It works instantly on a cold bike that's shut off. It works instantly on bike that's been running for 30 seconds. It's only that part in between where it doesn't go.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Right about .... here.
And my winker happily winks the instant its commanded to wink.
And...I beleive...it varies from hawk to hawk! bah! lol
Attached Thumbnails Failing blinkers-image_162.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

Say you have a nearly broken wire, down to the last filament, acting like a voltage divider. Running higher voltage would help in this case, right?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

sure, in that case.
But that scenario isnt required on the superhawk at least.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Back Marker

My newer hawk is a 98 with 8k miles and the old-style R/R putting out over 15V@5K rpm. It has no blinker problems. My older hawk is a 98 with 68k miles and the new-style (finned) R/R putting out under 14V@5k. It has been plagued with blinker problems for years. I swapped the R/R to see if higher voltage would remedy the blinker problems. No change. The newer hawk's blinker works flawlessly with the low-output R/R and even on a low battery alone <12V. I suspect that running a higher voltage may help in that it address a symptom, but not the root cause of the problem. I thought I had checked all connections previously and all looked clean and bright. However, I forgot to check the main fuse and the plugs going into the starter relay block. These were oxidized. I hit 'em with steel wool, then DeOxit. Now the blinkers work a lot better (still not perfect) and all the lights on the instrument cluster are noticeably brighter. There must have been a pretty substantial voltage drop across those oxidized connectors near the main fuse. I wish I had measured it before cleaning. I guess if you're going to check connectors, it's a good idea to check ALL of them.

Last edited by asdf33; 06-07-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Back Marker

... especially the one in series with every circuit on the bike. Has anyone tried those bling gold-plated blade fuses?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Yup, mine started doing the same s**t as soon as it turned cold. I leave at 05:00am and it's around 33-45 degrees here (CT) now, when I leave work in the afternoon the temps are in the mid 60's to mid 70's, blinkers work fine. So I guess I need to add another item to the winter hit list, Clean connections and treat with De-oxit.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by asdf33
... especially the one in series with every circuit on the bike. Has anyone tried those bling gold-plated blade fuses?
Not sure about gold, but generally you want to use the same metal on the fuse as the connectors. If you get two different metals and it gets humid in there, it can build up just enough surface corrosion to have a bad connection. Same for the bulbs. Lots of those aftermarket signals have dissimilar metals in there because they use whatever is cheapest, metal is metal, right?. I think Honda knows better at least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failing blinkers