Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Squid

Harvo is on a distinguished road
Wink engine noise

Hi everyone. I'm a new member to this site.I live in Alberta, Canada.
I've owned my 2000 VTR since new. I have 70,000km's on it. I use the best oil possiable. Totaly stock motor. Recently started to hear a noise when rolling off the throttle either idleing or driving it. Not loud, but diffently a bit of a ratatatat. Maybe chain noise, not sure. Had the clutch done late last summer. Noticed it soon after that. Removed the cover again, checked the clutch, everything looked ok. Had the valves inspected, checked out ok. Never had the CCT's replaced. When you replace the CCT's, do you also do the guides, which would intail stripping down the motor. Damn...
I guess I'm hoping someone here can advise me as to what it could be. Don't want my season to end before it starts this spring.
Thanks so much.
PS really injoy your site
Thanks
Harvey
( Harvo)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Harvo - Welcome to the forum.

Now the important stuff. Search on "CCT" and read EVERYthing here on CCT replacement. Noise rolling off the throtle could well be the OEM cct going south. With 70,000km you need to take care of this.
Truckinduc is currently selling replacement CCT for about 2/3 the price of the APEs. I got a set and they are a quality piece.
That is my 2 cents. Hope it turns out well for you
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
You are lucky to have gone 70k kilos without the CCTs lunching your engine. Replace them now with manuals and go another 70k with no worries.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
New CCT's sound a likely cause. It is unlikely that you would need to replace the guides as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Yea, valve guides wearing would ruin the stem seal and make the engine white smoke, well before an audible noise would be noticed.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
...Search on "CCT" and read EVERYthing here on CCT replacement. ...
Hate to tell you, but "CCT" is too short of a search term. However, if you look through Truckinduc's history, you'll find his CCT Selling thread, and links to instructions for installing CCTs and probably a few symptom threads.

Welcome to the forum, Harvo
Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
What are CCT's?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Cam Chain Tensioner... Look it up, it's a rather important engine part if you ask me...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Cam Chain Tensioner. keeps the cam chain from going slack. do a search and you will find some in-depth write ups about them.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Alright thanks, I've heard of them now, I was told VTR's had a problem with them after I bought mine
Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
Hi Harvo.

As you are surely discovering, this forum is the best VTR resource you will find. Read all you can then decide if you want to do it yourself or have it done at a good shop. Sounds like at 70 thou they'll need to be done even if it isn't the source of the noise.

My newish '05 only has 8000 kms and it's not clear whether the later models have the failure issue. Regardless they'll be done this winter just for the peace of mind.

Where in Alberta are you located? I'm in Edmonton and riding just started this season when the mini ice age receded last week.

Cheers
-D
Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Squid

Harvo is on a distinguished road
Smile engine noise

Thanks everyone for your responce. I knew that I was over due for the CCT'S to be replaced. I have ordered the parts, they're be here Monday.
Hi Sleeper. I too am from Edmonton. My Vtr is red with a corbin seat and high mount Yoush pipes. You might see me at Timmys some time. I wear a red Joe Rocket 2 peice suit. I'm the old fart. But don't let the grey hairs fool ya. There's no chicken strips on my tires!
LOL LOL
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Hey guys. I have noticed a tictictic noise at idle only after a bit of warm up and after reading all your posts I am starting to think cct problems.Im a very novice wrench but if I take it apart I can put it back together. How hard would it be to replace them myself? The hawk has about 7,500miles on it.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
^ That tic tic tic noise you describe is probably a natural sound. I have had that sound since 600 miles when I bought it. I researched it on here and it seems to be the nature of the beast. Its very faint, but always there. I can not assure anything to you 'cause obviously a sound problem can't be fixed here. BUT, I personally feel that you are probably hearing a "normal" sound for this bike.

(This is totally my opinion and addressed to dshakes! I'm no mechanic.... This is just my experience with a low mileage 'hawk.)

Last edited by j shizzy wizzy; 04-16-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
dshakes,

Not hard at all, even if you jump a tooth somewhere, its easily corrected. Use the maint manual and there is no worry's about ONLY pulling the rear valve cover.

I recommend you check your initial timing carefully prior to releasing tension, so you can be confident it is back in the same place. Additionally it will give you a good dry run on the process... finding TDC on affected cyl, and then # of turns of the crank to get TDC on next cyl.

Please be carefull when reading the "how to's" presented here. there are several "opinions" that really just confuse things to a lessor mechanic... no offense.

follow the APE directions precisely and don't second guess, it will be fine... that is if you go that rout. If you go stock, you will need to fabricate a tool that is spelled out in the MM. If that's a problem, PM me and I'll send you mine, for maybe some shipping... I really don't need it anymore.

Truckinduc is selling some very nice alternatives to the APE's and for cheaper, these are not precision parts and recommend them.

Worst case, if you want to be absolutely sure... pull both covers and remove all doubt, it isn't hard, just a little awkward on the front, it doesn't need to be removed all the way to see what you need, just lifted 3/4" or so.

All that said, they "should" get quieter as the bike warms up... even with low miles, it DOES NOT mean that you don't have one ready to fail, they have failed early on others.

LB

Last edited by loserbaby; 04-17-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Harvo - Welcome to the forum.

Now the important stuff. Search on "CCT" and read EVERYthing here on CCT replacement. Noise rolling off the throtle could well be the OEM cct going south. With 70,000km you need to take care of this.
Truckinduc is currently selling replacement CCT for about 2/3 the price of the APEs. I got a set and they are a quality piece.
That is my 2 cents. Hope it turns out well for you
This is all well and good but be reminded that the search engine does not recog acronyms. CCT's - no results. Cam chain tensioners gets plenty.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Calamari
Squid

Sleeper is on a distinguished road
"You might see me at Timmys some time. I wear a red Joe Rocket 2 peice suit. I'm the old fart. But don't let the grey hairs fool ya. There's no chicken strips on my tires! "

Yeah Timmy's coffee will do that to ya . Where did you fing any clean pavement to wear down the chicken strips? I haven't found any curvy bits without sand and grit so far this spring. You'll have a hard time spotting my ride with the radar and visible light spectrum absorbing stealth grey paint that came on the '05s. You'll sure as hell here me though...unless yer Yoshis are rumbling too.

-D
Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Harvo
Hi Sleeper. I too am from Edmonton. My Vtr is red with a corbin seat and high mount Yoush pipes.
High mount Yoshi's? Where the heck did you get them? I searched everywhere I could think of and could only find low mount so I went for the Jardines instead. How do they sound? Same as low mount?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
^
(This is totally my opinion and addressed to dshakes! I'm no mechanic.... This is just my experience with a low mileage 'hawk.)
Thanks for the insight. I will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by loserbaby
All that said, they "should" get quieter as the bike warms up... even with low miles, it DOES NOT mean that you don't have one ready to fail, they have failed early on others.

LB

LB, Thanks for the info. Probably going to dive in there this week and see whats going on. I will let you all know how the progress goes.