Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Crushable washers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Squid

NWbrew is on a distinguished road
Crushable washers

I think of this question every time I change my oil, so I figured I'd finally ask and get some feedback. How many people replace the crush washer every time they change the oil? I usually replace mine every time, but there have been times I've forgotten to pick one up. When that happens, I end up just throwing the old one back on and don't see a difference.

I thought of it in particular this time because the replacement one I bought looks like a cheap plastic washer, while the metal one I took off looks as good as new.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Every time. Just for piece of mind. One less thing to worry about.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to re-use it several times, but why sweat it. They are cheap and your dealer should stock them. IMO
Old 04-16-2009, 04:33 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I have never replaced washers in any of my vehicles. Never had any leakage either (1st car in 90, bike in 91). And I change oil regularly.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I anneal them for re-use. Once soft they are like a new washer. I then just file them up if necessary to ensure they are flat.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Never change them,never had a leak.If you are really worried find a copper washer in the correct size and use that, then re-anneal it as Shayne suggests.To anneal a copper washer,just heat it with a torch until its cherry red and let it cool,good as new!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I always replace the washer, but there were times in the past when I didn't and I've never had a problem...one thing I've never failed to do after an oil change on a car or bike, is to run the engine and check for filter/drain plug leaks...
Old 04-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Squid

Thanks for the replies. The washers are cheap so I don't mind replacing them, it just seems like it is the one part that I will get halfway through the oil change and realize that I didn't pick up any new ones.

I haven't tried annealing, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. Does it have to be copper?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think you'll ever get a definitive answer... in 20 years of working on bikes/cars I've only replaced 1 on an oil pan bolt and it was because it looked pretty chewed up...

Now copper crush washers for the brake calipers / lines... I change those every time.... I guess loosing the brakes scare me more than a drop of oil.

J.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
22,000 miles on my bike..... approximately 20 oil changes..... original crush washer.... no leaks.... no plans to ever replace it!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Mine has started to leak a little. I'll replace it when I change the oil next time. But this is the first time I have ever changed one.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The only drain plug washers that would regularly leak were on GM cars and trucks. They were plastic and would crack.

I always torque the drain plug and oil filter on my bikes and I've used crush washers until they were almost paper thin.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I always change the washer because I'm a Honda auto tech and it's standard procedure... and I have a bunch of washers in my tool box so why not?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The only drain plug washers that would regularly leak were on GM cars and trucks. They were plastic and would crack.
So I put the cheap looking plastic one on that the guy at Auto Zone gave me, tightened it down, and snap! I put the old one back on because it still looked great and no problems.

Thanks for all the feedback on this! I figured that I would get varied responses, but I was very interested in hearing other people's experiences with this.