Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Engine Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Squid

follmer_af is on a distinguished road
Engine Knock?

Well i just bought this beautiful '98 superhawk with 40,000 miles. I had to go out of town shortly after and I wasn't able to ride it for to long. Well i'm back and i took it out yesterday and today and noticed something very disturbing. It sounds like a knock coming from the engine. It happens between 2500 rpm and 3300-3400 rpm. I've tried 1,2, and 3rd gear and they all produce the same knock at the same rpm range. When this knock occurs if feels like there is a loss of power for a split second and then the bike seems to run fine until the next knock occurs. Once i'm above 3500 rpm the bike runs great and i can't hear/notice the knock anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on b/c i have no clue. Please help!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
My guess is that you need to replace the CCT's (preferably with APE manual cct's) before your engine self destructs. But I could be wrong.

(cct = cam chain tensioner)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
could be your slide carb making noise.. thats very common.. did you check to see that you dont have any missing or loos bolts on the headers.. that happened to me 3 days ago.. couldnt figure out why i had a terrible exhaust leak sound and sudden backfire and come to find out the bolts were gone on the rear exaust flange.. had to go find similar M7 Metric bolt for it... i have also heard you can get manual cam chain tensioners for fairly cheap if that is your knocking..
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
How long had the bike been sitting up from the PO before you bought it? Also how long did it sit up while you were away?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Squid

follmer_af is on a distinguished road
the guy who owned it before me put about 300 miles on it this season, so i don't think it's been sitting that long. It sat in a garage for a week and a half while i was gone.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
This is no knock, it's more like a fart, intake fart.
This means that your needles are lean, if you have a DJ kit installed, pull the needles one notch, or shim the stock needles.
Or put that stock exhaust and air filter back.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Squid

VTR_kuski is on a distinguished road
+1 to intake backfire caused by lean condition. If bike used to run fine with the exactly same setup then there is a new air leak somewhere or you need to clean the carbs. Otherwise just get the mixture corrected as gboezio suggested.