Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Engine Knock from idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Re: Engine Knock from idle

If this is truly a knock and it happens from idle, its possibly a rod knock, a sign of a bearing failure.

Have you tried higher octane gas? Does it do it all the way up? How many miles? Any history you don't know about? Any other details?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Superstock

pigwings

Originally Posted by reelectreagan";p=&quot
Engine seems to make a knockin noise when starting from a stop. Anyone have any experience with this?
Maybe you need to rejet. Cured my knocking problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
if it's a rod knock, it will be pretty loud, and increase with engine speed. can you isolate where it's coming from? cylinder head? cylinder block?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
hmmm... This is going to sound really stupid... but iw your oil level good? have you seen the oil-pressure light come on?
You can't get the engine to make that noise by revving it in neutral?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:32 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking chain now.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by reelectreagan";p=&quot
I can only hear it when I start from a stop ... Im not sure if its just that im not giving it enough gas from the line when letting the clutch out. But it sounds like a knock. Its not happening as frequently as of late but Ive been giving it more gas from the get go.
Answer given, and its good news. You're lugging the engine. Work on clutch throttle control. If you eliminate the problem by gassing it more during clutch letout and it goes away by 3k or so rpms, that's probably your problem.

BTW, make sure you are starting in first. Either error will create the symptom I think you have.

The final data bit is that this may be caused by clogged idle jets. Your unknown history may have included a lot of sitting around, leading to this condition. How high do you have to rev it for a smooth takeoff on a flat surface? If it requires excessive gassing, this is likely why.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
You can try soaking them in brake cleaner, techron or some other solvent overnight and blowing them out. Don't use a drill, wire, or other poker. You'll ruin them.

It's easier to just replace them.

You'll have to dissassemble the carbs and you'll need a manual. Spray the rest out, or dip them, while you are in there.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Squid

mrjakeanderson

Mine does it also, I have a 01 with under 3k. At medium low idel some knocking. a clunk clunk. someone said in this topic that maybe its your chain. If its the same as mine, its not. because it also does it when the clutch isnt ingaged and bike not moving. My fix was to debaffle the pipes.
O, and why does this bike have a front wheel ? im never on it...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Yes, a chain with stiff or frozen links will make a nice knocking sound BUT only if your moving (obviously).

A great and easy way to clean jets in carbs is with Yamaha's carb cleaner. It a well kept secret, even some shop employees don't know about as was the case at my local shop. You don't run the motor with this stuff, rather drain the carbs, unplug the fuel lines from the tank and pour it down the lines into the carbs, unplug the sprark wires and crank to help pull it in. Rock the bike a bit and let this stuff sit overnight in the carbs and then DRAIN. I repeat, don't try to run the motor with this stuff. Add fresh gas and start, voila` most cases your carbs and jets are clean.

This stuff is well known on vintage and old bike forums. I've used it and it works miracles. Worst case scenarios like sitting for years require the carbs to be pulled and soaked in it. If that doesn't work, then only the traditional teardown/rebuild will work.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
Yes, a chain with stiff or frozen links will make a nice knocking sound BUT only if your moving (obviously).

A great and easy way to clean jets in carbs is with Yamaha's carb cleaner. It a well kept secret, even some shop employees don't know about as was the case at my local shop. You don't run the motor with this stuff, rather drain the carbs, unplug the fuel lines from the tank and pour it down the lines into the carbs, unplug the sprark wires and crank to help pull it in. Rock the bike a bit and let this stuff sit overnight in the carbs and then DRAIN. I repeat, don't try to run the motor with this stuff. Add fresh gas and start, voila` most cases your carbs and jets are clean.
I've heard of a similar method with techron.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine does it too when I lug the engine. I read somewhere that this is normal (manual?). Why didn't I clean the carbs when I had them apart!?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:51 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
How do you DRAIN??? just keep cranking? until when??

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot

This stuff is well known on vintage and old bike forums. I've used it and it works miracles. Worst case scenarios like sitting for years require the carbs to be pulled and soaked in it. If that doesn't work, then only the traditional teardown/rebuild will work.