General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Knock knock, new owner/member here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Knock knock, new owner/member here.

Just bought a '98 Superhawk yesterday. I'm amazed how this thing feels like a small bike, yet packs so much torque.

I'm moving up from my first bike, a GS500, and was originally looking for a tame 600 or a SV650 until my g/f had me check this one out. I love the V-twin sound, and the aftermarket pipes help. All my cars have been domestic V8s, so it fits.

I'm just getting to know it, only have about 30 miles on her so far, but will hopefully put some good miles on it this weekend and from what I hear, I'll get to know all my local gas station clerks.

Here's a pic:

First question, the seat latch seems to be jammed. Any tips/tricks here? I don't want to pry on it and break it. The key turns fine, the seat just doesn't come up all the way.

I did a little research on here and have some FZ1 mirrors already on order. These puny aftermarket ones are worthless.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Congtats and welcome aboard. As for the seat, they are usually a pretty tight fit. Make sure you are pushing backwards on the seat as (or before) you lift, after you turn the key, as there are two tangs (one on either side) about 2/3 of the way back that slide forward under metal retaining rings.

Give us a list of the bike's setup. This is a pretty knowledgeable group of owners, and they can contribute to your happy ownership of an awesome bike! Best Regards and ride safe!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
to the club! The bike looks real nice.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard....
I think I saw this one on San Diego's craigslist. Looked like a good deal. Hope to see you around (I'm in the Poway / PQ area). I've had mine for a little less than a year, still ear to ear grins riding it!

By the way the group here is full of great advice and support. I have gained a ton of knowledge from the folks on this forum.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up welcome!!

these bikes are amazing aren't they!? you will be hooked on the v-twin from here on out! be sure to check out all the knowledge base articles, theres tons of priceless info. on this site.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome and enjoy.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
Another So Californian got the hook up. RIght on man. Hope to see you at a group ride sometime. Welcome.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! Sweet, red '98 A+
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
How 'bout them matching 240 and 350 Z' are those yours?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Welcome. You got a wonderful machine. As far as the seat latch goes, push down real hard and once you get it off, take off the latches. Did mine a long time ago and the seat doesn't move at all without em. Getting the seat off with them requires a CPR/ Heimlich manuever type motion.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jserio
Another So Californian got the hook up. RIght on man. Hope to see you at a group ride sometime. Welcome.
I recognize that name from somewhere. Were you on CF?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I figured out how to get seat off. The previous owner didn't even know there was a helmet lock on there.

The Z's are his stuff, I stole the bike pic from his website. My other rides are an 85 Corvette and a 69 Chevy stepside.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:29 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome. What a difference from the 500 huh. Getting one with pipes is a big +. The stock ones totally ruin that sweet v-twin sound. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice ride, you have to love the way the pipes sound. Welcome!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I notice an oddiment concerning the front rotors. They seem to have blue hubs and an adapter of some sort for the calipers...what is it that I'm looking at?

When I first found this site and joined up it felt immediately like family, the welcome was warm and the abuse was lacking, even the teasing in the posts was without malicious content. Warm fuzzies all around.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
Hey there. I too am a new Hawk owner. I absolutely love this bike. A couple things I need to do to it, but so much more I want to do to it. I have a 98 and nobody can believe that its 10 years old. I sounds so good with the two bros high mounts. I am really really glad I did not by the other bike i was looking at. Thanks to all the guys on this forum that help with their great knowledge.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Hey there good choice, I also live in the SD area.
Had mine for 1 week now and am having a hard time to keep the grin off my face when I ride it.

My name is Martin and I am in El Cajon.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
SuperSport

The original owner upsized the rotors. There's adapters to shift the calipers out. I'm not sure what exhaust is on there. I have to ride a the old lady's new ninja back from L.A. then I'll spend some time shining up the superhawk.

One of the fairing mounting tabs in back is broken so I'll try and repair that with some two part epoxy or something.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The original owner upsized the rotors. There's adapters to shift the calipers out. I'm not sure what exhaust is on there. I have to ride a the old lady's new ninja back from L.A. then I'll spend some time shining up the superhawk.

One of the fairing mounting tabs in back is broken so I'll try and repair that with some two part epoxy or something.
Warm welcome. Yes, Shawks rock & you'll love these guys and gals! I had a blast today riding mine in a light rain on wet roads. Not my favorite thing, but you still hit 100 every quarter mile straight! Brakes on your bike are interesting, let us know details. I've used super, crazy, zany or insany glue to fix my plastic several times. Very popular in the guitar repair world & seems to hold up well. Have fun, ride safe and wear all your ****...you never know!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the beautiful bike. I've only had mine for a month now but have put over a 1000 miles on it already. grinnin every mile. Question about the brakes, can you notice a difference with stopping power or does the setup tend to lockup under hard breaking? I realize that you dont have a refferece to go by since you bought the bike like that.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I figured out how to get seat off. The previous owner didn't even know there was a helmet lock on there.
the cool flip out cargo hooks are easy to miss, too. Corbin doesn't have them, darn.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Looks like a really cool ride. I have seen the blocks available for that rotor mod but have no clue at the moment of the parts involved or the sources for them. This has been some time ago. Back in the hay-day of the Superhawk small parts houses made some really neat stuff for the bike. Front brakes were the first focus of my rebuild of my Hawk. Good for you that one seems to be done for you. Enjoy the ride and as was said above - All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT!