Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Squid

bzera is on a distinguished road
Electrical problems

I made a new thread because I think there is too much to sift through in my others with too much going on.

Whats happening now.

Bike fires right up

idles smooth right about 1100 and stays within the + - 100 rpm range

RPMS climb fast and smooth and the bike is smooth if wherever I have RPMS.

Im getting popping when I let off throttle. I do have an awful exhaust leak tho. So I might be leaner because of that.

Odometer went out AGAIN. JUST replaced RR with recommended one from MOFSET list.

Battery is 2 weeks old and tested out good.

Checked voltage at recommended 5k rpms for charging system. 14.8V while @ 5k

Im pretty sure I had bad ICM or converter. After those were replaced bike instantly fired up and ran smooth. Im worried because shortly after replacement of icm and converter my odometer went out again. I replaced RR when I got the bike and did another one recently. I had these possible ignition problems with no spark after first RR replacement and odometer went out.

I don't know how to test for leakage because of a short. Maybe a short? if someone could explain? Or maybe I just at this point got even more bad luck with a bad RR?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:52 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Your clocks could also have been damaged earlier when the R/R initially surged and failed.

Is it just the LCD odometer that doesn't work?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
like I said in the other thread, you can disconnect the r/r and stator and see if the bike runs fine with those out of the equation.

Also I did not see if you mentioned about checking the connectors from stator and r/r.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Don't worry about the pooping as any intake or exhaust leaks will cause this. If you still have this issue once you have sorted the leaks, then worry about it.

As the for the ODO check the connectors directly on the back of the instrument panel. IIRC There are ring terminals open to the elements. Make sure these are not rusty and you have a good solid connection. You may as well check the connector blocks up front while you at it too.

(:-})
Old 05-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Squid

Yea forgot to mention that was first thing I checked. I looked over all my harness plugs and much of my wiring for fray, melting, corrosion, or anything that looked wrong.

Everything looked good. Wiring for r/r looked good.

Disconnected rr and stator. Started it up and ran just as good as it did without.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Back Marker

With the rr and stator disconnected did you still have issues with the tach or odometer?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Squid

I did however scour again through wiring harness. At the front of the bike there is a green wire with a black dash on it every inch or so. Also has solid orange and orange with solid white stripe with it. Both have one inch black dashed. They are just hanging there now.

Also when I said odometer went out I mean my display is reading all dashes. That's what it's done when it goes out
Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Squid

Yes odometer was still out when it was running with stator and rr connected. Maybe now my gauge cluster is all that needs to be replaced. Since it runs fine minus popping on decel and is charging fine? Maybe just little carb adjustment?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Squid

N I forgot to say tach was fine
Old 05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
When you changed the stator you didnt knock the speed sensor plug that sits right next to it under the seat?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Back Marker

to me it sounds like a loose/poor electrical connection issue. Use some contact cleaner or wd-40 on the guage cluster connector and see if it resolves the issue.

And like NZ said, check the speed sensor connection. Give it a shot of the cleaner as well.

Atleast your ***-running issue is fixed. Can you ride the bike now. If so does the speedometer work?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Squid

Speedo and tach r fine. I just wanna go ride. If you guys don't think damage will be done I'm gonna ride this thing for a while and get some enjoyment
Old 05-17-2014, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bzera
Speedo and tach r fine. I just wanna go ride. If you guys don't think damage will be done I'm gonna ride this thing for a while and get some enjoyment
If you're only missing odo there are some inexpensive options. Have fun!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by bzera
If your charging system checks out fine I don't think more damage could occur. Maybe add a volt meter for peace of mind???

The odo not working is odd. did you try the button to change the mode. Did you try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see is it will reset it ?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Superstock

At the front of the bike there is a green wire with a black dash on it every inch or so. Also has solid orange and orange with solid white stripe with it. Both have one inch black dashed. They are just hanging there now.
That will be your problem then. The green will be an earth and IIRC it should have a ring terminal on and be attached directly to the back of the instrument panel.

As for the Orange wire, there is only one Orange wire that I know off and that is the left indicator/blinker. your guys lighting is slightly different from over the pond so someone else can work that out for you. Better still, have a look at the wiring diagram in the manual.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the help. This wealth of knowledge have saved me so much time and money.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Carl, we dont have any earth in this country, only ground. No bonnets or boots either like you you have over in blimey.

+1 on those 2 wires being possible culprits.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Superstock

Doh, I missed that one. I'm usually pretty good at converting to American English.