Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Angry Electrical dead

I've seen all the posts on the R/Rs but none seem to specifically match my issue. My bike died while rolling to a stop after about 10 mins of riding and 40+ miles earlier that day. Everything went blank; no lights, no odo, nothing. The bike had no trouble starting and I have never had one electrical issue since I bought the bike in March. I've done about 2700 miles this year without issue.

So here are the specifics:
outside temp - about 92 degrees
no funny smells at all
The ground appears solid
Positive cable tight
one of the press on caps on the battery was popped off (I assume it was on there before but have not looked in over 1500 miles). Perhaps an extremely overcharged battery doing some boiling?

Just found out about the 30 amp fuse and have not checked it yet but I assume that would point to the R/R overcharging.

Any ideas?
And if it is the R/R, does it matter which year or displacement of the GSXRs other than no FI and 5 wires. And why not an R6 R/R?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson
If your power (and I mean all) went completely out- that means there is a short in your battery circuit.

The same thing happened to me on another bike. I went to put another battery in to troubleshoot it and when I touched the positive terminal, it sparked wildly. I traced the main red battery cable to the solenoid and found it had shorted against the frame and the rear shock.

Your bike won't just quit when the R/R goes out. The battery just won't charge and would eventually drain down.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by prhenderson
Your bike won't just quit when the R/R goes out. The battery just won't charge and would eventually drain down.
Sure the motor will die once the battery is drained since the r/r isn't maintaining +12V to the system. Instruments typically flicker, the motor dies, and then it won't immediately restart.

I agree that it sounds like a connection issue; wiring or otherwise. Your battery would boil if the r/r is overcharging and that could cause a bad, intermittent plate issue.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

it didn't sound like an R/R to me. guess it's time to start tearing things apart.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
i had a r/r stop chargeing on me and ive had one boil a battery if it is your r/r dont cheap out i learned that the hard way. id check connections first and charge the battery back up and do some testing
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
No Power

I had a similar problem. I bought a red 98 SH one week ago. When I tried to start it after getting gas I lost all power and guages. I reset the tripometer and when I pushed the start button it died. So I pushed it away from the pumps and took all my crap off. Turned the key back on and I had power, it started right up. The next day I was at a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer and when I got on it to leave, it did the same thing, power for a sec and then "click" nothing. So I took off all my crap and turned the key back and forth and got nothing. I took the seat off, checked the battery connections and they were fine. I tried the key again and got power. I haven't had any problems since then and that was monday. I did ride in the rain Saturday, Sunday, and Monday so that might have caused a short somewhere. Anybody else have problems like this?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Squid

dominic562 is on a distinguished road
98 superhawk won't start

I've got a '98 SH that's been sitting in the garage since a trip I took from Temecula to Vegas in April . No problems all the way there, but when I tried to start it to head home to LA it would'nt start. As long as it was running it ran fine, but every time I stopped for gas it was a crap shoot whether it would start or not. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
This may be nothing, but...

My first and third Honda's did this. The first ('78 CX500) Honda, I think they fixed it by accident. After several visits to the local Honda Bike Doctor whatever they did worked.
But on my '85 MiniCeptor they never did find the prblem. I started carrying aluminum foil in my duffel (after I ran out of spare master fuses) to make sure it wouldn't leave me stranded after yet another episode. (And you thought only Triumph and Lucas did "Prince of Darkness" electronics. Apparently one of their engineers moved to Japan in the Seventies...)
Then one day I'm describing my problem to my brother, who's a computer whiz and a rider - but not a mech. He looked at the bike for a while, then ooched the wiring harness to where it had more slack in the area of the forks. Turns out it was shorting the entire system every time I turned the bars too far to the right. After his ministrations to the harness, I never had another problem with losng power or shorting anything out on the bike.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Squid

After further investigation I've realized there's a jumper wire across the back of the fuse box (looks like from the odometer fuse to the fan fuse), and in moving this wire and the fuse box around I will occassionally get power to the gauges but it won't turn over. Just one click like the battery's dead, but it will do the same thing again and again. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately yes......go over every inch of your wiring harness and look for the reason the DPO jumped that fuse. Look for areas where wiring may have been rubbing against something etc. Check all grounds etc. You'll find it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Squid

Any idea why it would run fine once started?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

Update. This one seems to be a new one on here. I found that the 30A fuse was blown so i replaced it. As soon as I plugged in the harness on top it blew again. After disconnecting the battery I was able to find that there was a definite short in the system. After pulling everything off I found that it was the hot lead to the R/R that was grounding. With the R/R unplugged there was no short.
VOILA!! There was a short in the R/R. Replaced with an Electrex and no problem.

I also added a CPU fan to help keep it cool.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flyin_hawk
I also added a CPU fan to help keep it cool.
Perfect! Especially for southern climates. Pictures of your install?