Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Dead Battery - intermitent issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Dead Battery - intermitent issue

Looking for some insite-

For the second time, I have encountered a weird issue on my new to me SHawk. After a 40 mile or so "spirited" ride, I shut her down for a brief break, then when I went to get back on the road for more fun, she doesn't start on the first attempt, then battery dies and won't turn the starter after 1-2 more attempts. The first time, I had been riding for 20-30 miles and stopped for fuel, and it did the exact same thing after refueling: coughed on first attemp, battery died on the second. That time I pushed it home, put the charger on it, and when it was good to go, she fired right up and I hadn't had a problem in a couple hundred miles spread out over 4-5 weeks and countless stops and starts. Wednesday, when it happened again, I had someone jump me off their car battery, it started right up, and I didn't have any issues for the rest of the day and the next (4 or 5 stops and starts). Any ideas? The P/O said he just put a brand new battery in it before I bought it because he left the key on all night and it was time for a new one anyway. Could this be a symptom of R/R? Or is this a characteristic others have seen?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
what kind of battery is currently in it? sounds like it's not holding a charge
Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I would agree with you, but it has worked fine other than a couple random events. The bike can sit for 3 weeks and start at the first tick of the starter. Both times that it failed, the bike was hot (had been ridden for 30 minutes of hard riding). When I put the charger on it, it took a charge, and held the charge very well.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i just replaced my R/R. it was a bit intermittent - 1 diode would seem to be open when hot but after it cooled it measured fine.

i bought a new battery & replaced the R/R ( a yamaha R1 type )
havn't had any problems since ( like two weeks )

tim