Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electric issues, again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Squid

Zwer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Electric issues, again.

I am noticing that people tend to be having a lot of electrical issues with their bikes. Well heres the deal, when I got my bike the third day it wouldn't start. I went and thought it was most likely the R/R but it wasn't a stock piece so I gave it the pass, bought a new battery and everything was fine for about 4 months. Today I pulled out the bike after being out of town for a little over two weeks, bike started right up went for a nice little ride, I was gone for less then 10 minutes when the bike just sort of died on me. I am going to blame that on myself saying that I missed a gear and stalled it out. Not the point, I started it back up, and then I was getting some head rattle (I don't know if this is related) and then it died again (no idea why this time). When I went to start the bike it wouldn't. If I push the starter button the bike sounds like it is trying, it will turn over like one and a half times, but not start. Then I push the button again and it turns over for about a half turn.

I have no idea if all these problems are related, but I am trying to document everything, in case their is something I am missing. I'm sorry if I am missing something simple or perhaps talking about completely unrelated problems, but I just walked home in 95+ heat and am a wee bit out of it.

Thanks for the help,
Zach
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
The rattle is the solenoid buzzing from a dead battery.
If you battery keeps repeating this, charging systems down.
Charging system consists of a R/R and a Stator.(+some other nameless actors)
Test the stator to determine if the R/R is the fault.
Pretty simple.
Others have some convoluted mixed up test procedures for the charging system, but its uneeded and a waste of time.
KISS - keep it simple stupid , a good rule of thumb to follow when testing.
Test stator, and if it fails, repair/replace. If it passes, and you see no obvious short circuits in the system, you know its the Rectifier.