Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electical accessories and charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
Electical accessories and charging issues

Im a wussy puss and wear an electic vest quite often.The vest is almost 20 years old,but still works.A couple of times now after stopping to get gas the bike has had to be push started.Im about to go out and check the charging system again.Both the R/R and stator have been replaced in the past couple of years with Electrosport parts.I think the battery is one year old.My thought's are.1...The vest is old and draws too much power.2...sometimes the revs are too low to charge the battery and run the bike and vest.Last time I was just loping along hope-ing to make it back to a gas station. Does anyone else use electic accessories.........Personal experience,Opinions and far fetched theories accepted.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Squid

floppyhat is on a distinguished road
Hey dogger,
Sorry I can't be of any assistance but when you get the probs sorted Ilike to see your connections for the power supply and how you;ve got the vest n all set up. something I've been thinking about doing.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Back Marker

well look at that,The wires going into the conector block look corroded and one pulled out easily as i took it apart.If it was in at all.
Attached Thumbnails Electical accessories and charging issues-rnr-conector.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage... I'd check all voltages and all parts in the charging curcuit as soon as the connectors are replaced... It most likely to be an overcharging R/R...
Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage... I'd check all voltages and all parts in the charging curcuit as soon as the connectors are replaced... It most likely to be an overcharging R/R...
I was going to say the same thing. Not corrosion at all.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
He should be glad that **** didn't go off in his vest! Hot? You got it - at 70 mph - you can't get off it fast enough.

I think the price of fuel has pressed a lot of guys into using their bikes more. The dry winter in Central Texas has made it possible but I'm seeing guys out their at well below comfort levels in the mornings. It was 31F here this morning.

Your equipment must be up to the task or you are a danger to yourself and anybody that is driving around you.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Holy ****, dude! I think you found your problem!!! Yeah, that's due to high resistance connection causing excessive heat. You need a new connector. You may be able to salvage the actual connectors but if it were me I'd buy new ones and solder them when putting it back together. There's a place on the web that sells OEM electrical connectors but I never put it in my favorites. Try a google search. There's a few. Here's one: http://www.electricalconnection.com/index2.htm
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Back Marker

That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage...
I laughed so hard when I read that last night I coudn't respond.Anyways I don't think the vest did it.That connector got hot before when the R/R vibrated lose do to my lame bolt tighting skills.
The ethnicity of one's repairs
That time I blew the main fuse.I think some of the insulation on the wires in back got melted off.Then the wires started corroding.As I disconnected it this time one wire wasn't conected to the block.Every thing else seems OK,(I did ride it home)except for the stator connector at the tank.That burned connection is the same wire that pulled out of the R/R block.Couple more pics FYI.....And may I humbly say Im not a comuter,I use it more like a weapon.One of the best I've ever had.....Am I the only one who has an electric vest this is how rummers get started.
Attached Thumbnails Electical accessories and charging issues-rr-plug-backside.jpg   Electical accessories and charging issues-stator-connection-tank.jpg