SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Electical accessories and charging issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/electical-accessories-charging-issues-13987/)

doggerman 03-08-2008 09:04 AM

Electical accessories and charging issues

Im a wussy puss and wear an electic vest quite often.The vest is almost 20 years old,but still works.A couple of times now after stopping to get gas the bike has had to be push started.Im about to go out and check the charging system again.Both the R/R and stator have been replaced in the past couple of years with Electrosport parts.I think the battery is one year old.My thought's are.1...The vest is old and draws too much power.2...sometimes the revs are too low to charge the battery and run the bike and vest.Last time I was just loping along hope-ing to make it back to a gas station. Does anyone else use electic accessories.........Personal experience,Opinions and far fetched theories accepted.

floppyhat 03-08-2008 09:17 AM

Hey dogger,
Sorry I can't be of any assistance but when you get the probs sorted Ilike to see your connections for the power supply and how you;ve got the vest n all set up. something I've been thinking about doing.

doggerman 03-08-2008 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well look at that,The wires going into the conector block look corroded and one pulled out easily as i took it apart.If it was in at all.

Tweety 03-08-2008 04:10 PM

That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage... I'd check all voltages and all parts in the charging curcuit as soon as the connectors are replaced... It most likely to be an overcharging R/R...

drew_c14 03-08-2008 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 155052)
That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage... I'd check all voltages and all parts in the charging curcuit as soon as the connectors are replaced... It most likely to be an overcharging R/R...

I was going to say the same thing. Not corrosion at all.

nuhawk 03-08-2008 06:26 PM

He should be glad that shit didn't go off in his vest! Hot? You got it - at 70 mph - you can't get off it fast enough.

I think the price of fuel has pressed a lot of guys into using their bikes more. The dry winter in Central Texas has made it possible but I'm seeing guys out their at well below comfort levels in the mornings. It was 31F here this morning.

Your equipment must be up to the task or you are a danger to yourself and anybody that is driving around you.

Hawkrider 03-09-2008 10:35 AM

Holy shit, dude! I think you found your problem!!! Yeah, that's due to high resistance connection causing excessive heat. You need a new connector. You may be able to salvage the actual connectors but if it were me I'd buy new ones and solder them when putting it back together. There's a place on the web that sells OEM electrical connectors but I never put it in my favorites. Try a google search. There's a few. Here's one: http://www.electricalconnection.com/index2.htm

doggerman 03-09-2008 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

That's not corrosion... that's from high voltage...
I laughed so hard when I read that last night I coudn't respond.Anyways I don't think the vest did it.That connector got hot before when the R/R vibrated lose do to my lame bolt tighting skills.

The ethnicity of one's repairs
That time I blew the main fuse.I think some of the insulation on the wires in back got melted off.Then the wires started corroding.As I disconnected it this time one wire wasn't conected to the block.Every thing else seems OK,(I did ride it home)except for the stator connector at the tank.That burned connection is the same wire that pulled out of the R/R block.Couple more pics FYI.....And may I humbly say Im not a comuter,I use it more like a weapon.One of the best I've ever had.....Am I the only one who has an electric vest this is how rummers get started.