Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Drive Train/Sprocket Preferences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Drive Train/Sprocket Preferences?

Time for some Spring cleaning now that time has changed.......went for a ride yesterday and adjusted my chain......it's now stretched to the limit....time for a new chain and sprockets, probably need to drop in new cush drive blocks too (seems to me they were pretty worn when I put my last rear tire on......should've done it then but too lazy)......

Anyway, I've always just run the stock sprocket size.......What are you running?........Just wanted to take an informal pole to see if there's a trend/preference for changing up the sprocket size.....

Likewise, is there a specific chain preference?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
-1/+1. Equivalent to +2 1/2 on the rear. Usually whatever X-ring chain I can get the best deal on whenever I have to replace one.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
15 front 43 rear
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Back Marker

chevy is on a distinguished road
+1
15 front 43 rear

haven't done it yet, but as soon as i can it will be done because i was looking at y chain today and i can see where a rivet is about to come.....bummer i was going to ride today..........it's south Ga here weather is perfect.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't bother with an alluminum sprocket, go with steel. The vortex alum sprocket that I had lasted about 4K miles and it was DONE.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Squid

good input so far.....keep it coming.....

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Don't bother with an alluminum sprocket, go with steel. The vortex alum sprocket that I had lasted about 4K miles and it was DONE.
Agreed - I always use steel, even on my dirtbikes.....aluminum rear sprockets wear out too fast.....

Consensus (so far) seems to be to opt for more zip (drop a tooth up front) and less top end (add a tooth or teeth in the rear).......makes sense.......I dont need to go over 100mph anymore (my track days are behind me)......and the front end will feel even lighter with one tooth less up front......not sure why I haven't screwed around with sprocket sizes before now (~39K miles on the bike!).....I change'em up all the time on my dirt bikes....

Has anyone used aftermarket cush drive blocks in their hubs? (Not sure if there even is such a thing but thought I'd ask.....)
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I have a set of sprockets from sidewinder. The trimetal rear with the steel front. I wouldn't get the trimetal again, but the full titanium rear will give excellent life. I did not like their chain at all, so substitute with whatever. I have gone through two chains with that set of sprocket and it doesn't seem to wear very much.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Agreed - I always use steel, even on my dirtbikes.....aluminum rear sprockets wear out too fast.....

Consensus (so far) seems to be to opt for more zip (drop a tooth up front) and less top end (add a tooth or teeth in the rear).......makes sense.......I dont need to go over 100mph anymore (my track days are behind me)......and the front end will feel even lighter with one tooth less up front......not sure why I haven't screwed around with sprocket sizes before now (~39K miles on the bike!).....I change'em up all the time on my dirt bikes....

Has anyone used aftermarket cush drive blocks in their hubs? (Not sure if there even is such a thing but thought I'd ask.....)
Shorter gearing doesn't really even affect top end. The Superhawk stock will go faster in 5th than in 6th. It's a win/win with shorter gearing if you can stand the extra revs and buzziness.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I Just moved into the "Replace Chain" indicator on mine also . I am pretty happy with the stock gearing for what I am using my bike for. I have been doing more touring than sporting lately . LOL . I came across this on Ebay ...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem= I know you get what you pay for , But has anyone purchased this set up from this guy ???
Old 03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Did the 520 conversion with 15/43 sprockets... So far so good.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by killer5280
It's a win/win with shorter gearing if you can stand the extra revs and buzziness.
I'm not overly concerned about the buzziness.......my Adventure bike (620 "single") is a G-Damn "Paint Can Shaker" so the Superhawk will STILL seem tame in comparison.....

Name:  100_0566.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  100_0564.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  154.0 KB
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Back Marker

chevy is on a distinguished road
Gold
530 ek zzz chain/jt sprockets

15/43