Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

drive chain adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
drive chain adjustment

Mike bike pulls slightly to the left. Only noticable if I let go of the bars and then I have to shift my weight right a bit to keep going straight.
Could it be caused by the rear axle being slightly off? if so am I correct to think that I should loosen up the right side adjuster maybe one turn or so?
I've read in here about using a string to measue the axle on both sides, but I can't imagine I am far enough out that I could really measure it within the tollerance of the measurement.
Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Mike bike pulls slightly to the left. Only noticable if I let go of the bars and then I have to shift my weight right a bit to keep going straight.
Could it be caused by the rear axle being slightly off? if so am I correct to think that I should loosen up the right side adjuster maybe one turn or so?
I've read in here about using a string to measue the axle on both sides, but I can't imagine I am far enough out that I could really measure it within the tollerance of the measurement.
Thoughts?
use adjuster marks to get into the ballpark. measure from center of rear axle to swingarm mount center; or measure the little gap between the axle and the swingarm. I removed the chain guard permanently, but you can remove yours easily so you can watch the sprocket teeth enter the chain to assure it is centered. when you get the idea, you'll know you are centered. it helps to keep the sprocket and chain clean.
also, locate the mark on your top triple clamp directly in front of your fuel tank. while your riding, sit up and look to see if it is centered. if it isn't directly in the middle, your triple clamps need reset or straightened. I rode for years without realizing that mine were bent from a previous lowside because my everpresent tankbag hid the mark from sight. there were no other symptoms other than drift when hands off bars.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
To align the rear I wind the left and right adjusters all the way in and count the # of turns when I back them out to set the chain slack.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 AM
MotoGP

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Riff
To align the rear I wind the left and right adjusters all the way in and count the # of turns when I back them out to set the chain slack.

that's cool, but it's nice to have another means of checking the accuracy. Like when you are subtracting, you can afterwards add two numbers to check your answer. That's why i like the guard off, so I can see that the teeth enter the chain at the center and not from the edges. Then i know it's in the ballpark.
it also helps to losen the axle just enough to allow adjustment and tighten the right nut from the 12 o'clock position forward so as not to pull that side rearward.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Other things to check would be fork/triple clamp alignment, or possibly the clip-on positions.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
I just put a new rear tire on and am having trouble getting the alignment right. I read all about the different ways you guys measure and I am about a 1/10 inch longer on one side, but the rear sprocket seems to be riding correctly in the chain. Am I just being too picky or missing something?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The string method will be more accurate.

also, for chain tension, be sure that the chain does not go taut when you compress the rear suspension - the downward angle of the swingarm causes the chain to go tighter as the swingarm swings upwad, during the first part of travel. Lay on the back of the seat and be sure the chain remains slack.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by alwayshonda
I just put a new rear tire on and am having trouble getting the alignment right. I read all about the different ways you guys measure and I am about a 1/10 inch longer on one side, but the rear sprocket seems to be riding correctly in the chain. Am I just being too picky or missing something?
welcome aboard.

First, I would check the little line on your side wall next to the rim to make sure the tire is mounted correctly. The line needs to be equadistant all the way around the tire on both sides or you'll need to reseat the bead.

You can measure the the distance from the rear of the swingarm to the axle and compare sides. You can take the chain guard off so you can see that the teeth are centered in the chain as you turn the rear wheel. The string method is a little tricky as the tire widths are so different. Once i measured the tires and found a board that made the front the same as the rear and afixed it to the side of the front tire so that the string could be brought straight back. That's a little ****, but........When you ride, take you hands off the bars and the bike should track straight if alignment is correct.

You can search the forum and find other info. Have fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
One thing that made the task more difficult for me was not taking into account the amount of slop between the axle and the chain adjusters. The adjusters aren't a very tight fit on the axle.
Now I adjust chain tension with the left adjuster first. The chain pulls the axle forward in the adjuster.
I push the back of the rear tire to the right to ensure it's forward in the adjuster too and then snug up the axle nut so that there's some slight resistance when I back out the right adjuster bolt until the alignment is right. I use Henter Wheel Aligners to do the adjustment rather than string, straight edges or marks on the swing arm. After torquing the axle nut, I check to see if the adjuster bolts are still snug. If so, I know the axle didn't move relative to the adjusters when I tightened the axle nut and the wheels have remained aligned.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
Started all over. Have both sides perfect, slack set right, and the sprocket seems to hug the outside of the chain. I guess that's ok as long as it's not hanging up? Outside of sprocket is a lil shiny, so it must have been doing this before as well. Weather sucks, so I haven't had a chance to see how it's tracking. Thanks for the welcome and all your guys' help!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by alwayshonda
Started all over. Have both sides perfect, slack set right, and the sprocket seems to hug the outside of the chain. I guess that's ok as long as it's not hanging up? Outside of sprocket is a lil shiny, so it must have been doing this before as well. Weather sucks, so I haven't had a chance to see how it's tracking. Thanks for the welcome and all your guys' help!
i don't think it's okay. I wonder if you have the wrong spacer or reversed or front sprocket is on backwards or who knows what, but the chain needs to be centered over the teeth. Sumtins fucked up!