Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Does This Seem A Lean Or Rich Condition

Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Does This Seem A Lean Or Rich Condition

This Hawk runs fine and fast with no lean surge but when I open the throttle at 4krpm in 6th and then close it at 5krpm there is a normal deceleration and then a very short acceleration followed by the decel again to a lower speed. Does this sound like the stock needles are too low meaning too lean. Or is it a rich indication. The muffler tips are really devoid of soot and mpg is about 40 or more. What does describe to you?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Strange question/problem. I think great gas mileage would help to indicate lean rather than rich but there is no glitch anywhere than those rpm in 6th gear only?

I can only imagine a diaphragm or spring issue causing a hung up slide (or slide float). You would have to dismantle the carbs to check this (slide action and diaphragms).
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Strange question/problem. I think great gas mileage would help to indicate lean rather than rich but there is no glitch anywhere than those rpm in 6th gear only?

I can only imagine a diaphragm or spring issue causing a hung up slide (or slide float). You would have to dismantle the carbs to check this (slide action and diaphragms).
Ya know, I can hear those slides rattle especially when motor's cold. When I shut the bike off in the garage gas can be smelled for hours around it. I ordered some carb parts online and the mcct's from Superdutyd so when all arrive I'll open it up to do all the normal fixes but the wimpy way I ride, 40 mpg don't sound too good. All the other bikes, and I've had an assortment (zx12, sv1000, Bandit 1216, v65 and more) got more than that again considering the way I enjoy the ride. Maybe the float valves are aren't seating right-new ones are coming.

As the 6th gear glitch goes, that's the only gear I chopped the throttle in to notice the decel, accel, decel phenom. I post findings as the job is finished.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sounds lean to me, possible caused by a vacuum leak. Double check the carb boot clamps are tight and the carbs are fully seated. Best way to check this is to go for a ride and pull the choke out slightly. If the problem goes away then it's lean for sure.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Superstock

Choke

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Sounds lean to me, possible caused by a vacuum leak. Double check the carb boot clamps are tight and the carbs are fully seated. Best way to check this is to go for a ride and pull the choke out slightly. If the problem goes away then it's lean for sure.

I will try that next week when I get back to the bike-