Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY Fairing Removal

-Cover the tank with a towel
-Remove mirrors
-remove the four side Allen bolts
-Reach in behind the head light and wiggle the head light connector off
-Remove the two plastic fasteners on the inside of the fairing below the radiators
-Place several strips of Duct tape over the fairing to protect it near the Allen screw mounts, if you fail to do this you will probably scratch the fairing on the metal brackets that the Allen screws go into.
-Cover the front fender with a towel
-Get a small flat blade screw driver to help you get the connector lock loose on the small running head light connector as you remove the fairing. You cannot get to this connector when the fairing is in the normal position.
-Now stand in front of the bike and straddle the tire, carefully pull the whole fairing forward and reach around and use the small screw driver to help release the small running lights connector.
-Pull the fairing sides out just a little to help get them up and around the radiators and then move the whole assembly straight forward and off the bike.

Pretty simple to do and I would suggest clearing a workbench place for the fairing to be placed before doing this and lay a soft towel down on it.

Reverse the steps for re-assembly and be careful not to scratch the fairing on the metal Allen side brackets. This is why you put a couple of layers of duct tapes on the fairing in those areas to protect it.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm so glad I got sharkskinz. all one piece. for screws holding it on. piece of cake.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
-Cover the tank with a towel
-Remove mirrors
-remove the four side Allen bolts
-Reach in behind the head light and wiggle the head light connector off
-Remove the two plastic fasteners on the inside of the fairing below the radiators
-Place several strips of Duct tape over the fairing to protect it near the Allen screw mounts, if you fail to do this you will probably scratch the fairing on the metal brackets that the Allen screws go into.
-Cover the front fender with a towel
-Get a small flat blade screw driver to help you get the connector lock loose on the small running head light connector as you remove the fairing. You cannot get to this connector when the fairing is in the normal position.
-Now stand in front of the bike and straddle the tire, carefully pull the whole fairing forward and reach around and use the small screw driver to help release the small running lights connector.
-Pull the fairing sides out just a little to help get them up and around the radiators and then move the whole assembly straight forward and off the bike.

Pretty simple to do and I would suggest clearing a workbench place for the fairing to be placed before doing this and lay a soft towel down on it.

Reverse the steps for re-assembly and be careful not to scratch the fairing on the metal Allen side brackets. This is why you put a couple of layers of duct tapes on the fairing in those areas to protect it.
All that hard work typing and you forgot to mention disconnecting the turnsignals...

Sorry... just couldn't help myself...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
All that hard work typing and you forgot to mention disconnecting the turnsignals...

Sorry... just couldn't help myself...
What are those, just use the old arm signals.

Actually i do have them, just forgot the suckers......
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Great advice about protecting the finish on the fairing. It's easy to get impatient when you're putting it back on. It does become simple after you've done it a couple of times.